PDA

View Full Version : Jordancon thread and 20 year happenings.

Sei'taer
04-24-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm posting this here because I know a lot of you don't have Facebook accounts or if you do, you'd rather not let people know you know me.

Next year is the tenth year for Jordancon and it's also the 20th anniversary of the beginning of Theoryland. Those of us that attend Jordancon regularly would like to extend a very, very, early invitation for a meet at next years Con. We'd like to have as many people from TL as possible so we can really show Tam what this community has meant to us.

I know it's tough on a lot of you because of distance, travel, time, and (the big one) money. It would be awesome if we could get so many tLers there that we could pretty much take the Con by storm.

I'd love to meet you all. (After this years whiskey apocalypse I may only bring some for others. Or I may forget how bad I felt over the course of the next year!)

Love you guys, join us!

ShadowbaneX
04-24-2017, 04:51 PM
20 years. Damn. I'm in.

Brita
04-24-2017, 05:30 PM
20 years. Damn. I'm in.

Me too! Want to car pool SBX?

p.s. I"m gonna start saving now.

Davian93
04-24-2017, 08:03 PM
If there is any way I could make it, I would love to come and finally meet everyone.

DahLliA
04-25-2017, 04:54 AM
I've been considering JordanCon for years now, but I'll consider a bit harder :p

Isabel
04-25-2017, 10:37 AM
If there is any way I could make it, I would love to come and finally meet everyone.

You can make it ;) :)

Isabel
04-25-2017, 10:37 AM
I've been considering JordanCon for years now, but I'll consider a bit harder :p

Don't consider it, do it!

Southpaw2012
04-25-2017, 05:04 PM
I'll bring a wider variety of beer next year if I can actually make it.

ShadowbaneX
04-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Me too! Want to car pool SBX?

p.s. I"m gonna start saving now.

Would mean having to take a day or two extra off for travel. Or you can drive down to Ottawa and we can fly from here. Perhaps pick up Ishy in Toronto.

Brita
04-25-2017, 06:57 PM
Well, Thunder Bay to Ottawa is 15 hours. Thunder Bay to Atlanta is 21 :) Probably won't work out the best. I can actually fly from Minneapolis for a pretty decent price- so I might do that.

ps. I wish I lived closer, that road trip would be so much fun!

tsorovanmhael
04-25-2017, 09:47 PM
I know how deeply i have been missed over the years........eh em. But, as an original member of Theoryland in 1998, I will attend Jordancon to show my support for this board and what the members, conversations and joy i have had over the years.

Count me in!

Khoram
04-25-2017, 09:53 PM
This is definitely something I will be considering doing next year. I'm sure I'll be able to take some leave at that point. :D

ShadowbaneX
04-26-2017, 09:05 AM
...Stormy lives? Wow. Or WoW.

ShadowbaneX
04-26-2017, 09:09 AM
Well, Thunder Bay to Ottawa is 15 hours. Thunder Bay to Atlanta is 21 :) Probably won't work out the best. I can actually fly from Minneapolis for a pretty decent price- so I might do that.

Yeah, that is a bit of a trek. Also forgot about GLotD and Khoram. Could have had one hell of a road trip. Flying is probably better though. Well, assuming they let us across the border.

Isabel
04-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Yeah, that is a bit of a trek. Also forgot about GLotD and Khoram. Could have had one hell of a road trip. Flying is probably better though. Well, assuming they let us across the border.

As long as you don't let Ishara do the talking, you will be fine ;)

Isabel
04-26-2017, 10:45 AM
I know how deeply i have been missed over the years........eh em. But, as an original member of Theoryland in 1998, I will attend Jordancon to show my support for this board and what the members, conversations and joy i have had over the years.

Count me in!

wow, i vaguely remember you :) Awesome :)

ShadowbaneX
04-26-2017, 11:20 AM
As long as you don't let Ishara do the talking, you will be fine ;)

She's not that bad. Or wasn't that bad. As long as she's not wandering around calling people dorks.

Davian93
04-26-2017, 11:49 AM

I've already preemptively tipped off both TSA and Border Patrol...

Khoram
04-26-2017, 12:55 PM

We can still have a helluva road trip. ;)

ShadowbaneX
04-26-2017, 04:40 PM
I've already preemptively tipped off both TSA and Border Patrol...

Good. We can have TL-Con up here somewhere then. I'd start off with Ottawa, well, cause I'm here...but I hear Lake Louise is nice at, well, any time of the year. Or...ummm, anywhere not Toronto is good.

ShadowbaneX
04-26-2017, 04:41 PM
We can still have a helluva road trip. ;)

Quite likely. There's Therilon as well, but I haven't heard from him in years...possibly a decade or more at this point.

Davian93
04-26-2017, 08:35 PM
Quite likely. There's Therilon as well, but I haven't heard from him in years...possibly a decade or more at this point.

Whatever happened to Therilon...he was super active and then he just disappeared from the boards probably in 2005 or 2006.

Khoram
04-26-2017, 08:52 PM

Well, I haven't been around for THAT long. I know it seems like I have, but... :rolleyes:

I would love to have a TL North Con! Or at least a get together. :D

Sei'taer
04-26-2017, 09:06 PM

Count me in!

...Stormy lives? Wow. Or WoW.

Yeah, a little poo came out.

tsorovanmhael
04-26-2017, 10:23 PM
I have the TP.....for I am Nae'blis

ShadowbaneX
04-26-2017, 11:02 PM
Whatever happened to Therilon...he was super active and then he just disappeared from the boards probably in 2005 or 2006.

I think just life. Graduated from school, got a job and just, had a life.

Davian93
04-27-2017, 07:17 AM
I think just life. Graduated from school, got a job and just, had a life.

How selfish of him.

ShadowbaneX
04-27-2017, 08:31 AM
How selfish of him.

Well, I'm guessing. Last I saw him we were both at the same University, GLotD showed up. Then that was it. For all I know, he got run over by a bus. I hope it's the life thing, but I don't know for sure.

Brita
04-27-2017, 05:02 PM
I would love to have a TL North Con! Or at least a get together. :D

Yes!!!

Sarevok
04-28-2017, 05:39 AM
I'll probably be there too.

*goes poke a dragon*

Daekyras
04-28-2017, 07:29 AM
I'm jealous.

Hope you all have a great time!

Tamyrlin
04-28-2017, 10:57 AM
As has been said, I would love to get us all together in Atlanta next year to celebrate the twenty years (or up to twenty for many) that we have been together at Theoryland. I know it won't be possible for everyone to be there, but for those of you that can make it work, personally, I'd love to get a chance to meet you and celebrate the time we've spent together, even when at odds, as members of this community. Or if I've pissed you off too much over the years, then come hang out with the rest of the gang. :)

JordanCon has a little bit of everything for everyone. Of course, if you are like me, you'll be up at 1am in the morning discussing wheel of time theories...yes, I still do that and will do that. There are a ton of ways to pass your time, beyond what we'll be doing specific to Theoryland. If you've never met Harriet, Alan, or Maria, you'll love that. They are very accessible all weekend long, and very warm individuals. And there are members of all past fandom groups in attendance. I've met people from the RJ Usenet Group, Dragonmount, TarValon, WhiteTower, Wotmania/RAFO, WoT Facebook, and TOR.com, among others. Or if WoT isn't your thing anymore, there are plenty of other authors being discussed. Last year I sat in this great discussion about Dresden that made me feel like what new readers of WoT must feel like when asking a question at Theoryland.

Thank you for being a member of Theoryland. We may not all agree, but that was the point, after all.

Ozymandias
05-01-2017, 03:41 PM
Well, I've never been, but first time for everything!

Haven't been as active over the years as I was in the mid-aughts but would still be a pleasure to meet you all, I am sure.

Brita
05-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Oh man- this is shaping up to be quite the get together! I hope we can all make it :)

The Great Serpent
05-02-2017, 09:22 AM

You can just stay with me, Brita ;)

Brita
05-02-2017, 09:50 AM
You can just stay with me, Brita ;)

Hmmm, I've never spent a night outside the pattern before.

Khoram
05-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Hmmm, I've never spent a night outside the pattern before.

Are you gonna have to munch on your own tail? :p

Davian93
05-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Are you gonna have to munch on your own tail? :p

Um...giggity?

Brita
05-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Um...giggity?

Lol- I'm not sure either. I'm not sure if I should be intrigued or horrified...or both.

Davian93
05-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Lol- I'm not sure either. I'm not sure if I should be intrigued or horrified...or both.

Maybe intrigued THEN horrified?

Khoram
05-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Maybe intrigued THEN horrified?

I'd go the other way. Cause, even though you may be horrified at first, once you start thinking about it, I'm sure it'll become more intriguing. :D

SauceyBlueConfetti
05-22-2017, 12:12 AM
y'all should just start planning now to come. it's awesome. it's fun. and you'll meet me. what else is there to say???

Dragon Thief
05-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Right about the same time I met SBC, I got hit in the face with a snowball by Frenzy.

Later on, while Frenzy was trying to play the world's largest game of "Darkfriend" (werewolf, but WoT themed) she got to hear two lovely gay guys talk about all the very NSFW things they'd do to me while I was peeing out way too much alcohol, and couldn't wait to tell me about it afterwards. (In their defense, I might have been the best looking [read: only] male ginger there, and they were even more drunk than I was).

Camel fell asleep and got his pic taken with a sign saying "Wake me for grilled cheese".

Sei'taer was around enough cool people that he became almost cool by osmosis. That and we didn't want to kick him out cause his wife was with him, and we didn't want to be rude to her.

Isabel ate twice her weight in cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory in only two visits.

All of this could happen to you, too, if you come to JordanCon next year!

Isabel
05-27-2017, 11:29 AM
Right about the same time I met SBC, I got hit in the face with a snowball by Frenzy.

Later on, while Frenzy was trying to play the world's largest game of "Darkfriend" (werewolf, but WoT themed) she got to hear two lovely gay guys talk about all the very NSFW things they'd do to me while I was peeing out way too much alcohol, and couldn't wait to tell me about it afterwards. (In their defense, I might have been the best looking [read: only] male ginger there, and they were even more drunk than I was).

Camel fell asleep and got his pic taken with a sign saying "Wake me for grilled cheese".

Sei'taer was around enough cool people that he became almost cool by osmosis. That and we didn't want to kick him out cause his wife was with him, and we didn't want to be rude to her.

Isabel ate twice her weight in cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory in only two visits.

hahahahhaha:D:D:D:D

SauceyBlueConfetti
05-30-2017, 08:45 PM
Right about the same time I met SBC...

You make it sound as if all the things you listed are somehow entwined with meeting me.

I will take ownership of the Camel photo, but the rest of the stuff you likely brought upon yourself

Mister innocent. Ha!

One of my favs is still Ish having a few beverages and completely losing her filter.

Leanne
05-31-2017, 11:26 AM
Wait, Ish has a filter????

Kidding!

Also, we (at least I) did not play a single game of darkfriend this year. It was even on the schedule. N

No idea if it actually happened as it was at an odd time in the middle of the day. Who does that? I need to be able to get yelled at for holding my beer!

Hopper
06-08-2017, 05:06 PM

She'll do better next year. She wasn't all that hungry.

Dragon Thief
06-09-2017, 07:06 PM
You make it sound as if all the things you listed are somehow entwined with meeting me.

I will take ownership of the Camel photo, but the rest of the stuff you likely brought upon yourself

Mister innocent. Ha!

One of my favs is still Ish having a few beverages and completely losing her filter.

Lies. Saucy saucy lies. Jusk ask anyone who's not actually around to answer.

Dragon Thief
06-09-2017, 07:08 PM
She'll do better next year. She wasn't all that hungry.

She's like the Ron Swanson of cheesecake.

Sub out bacon and eggs for cheesecake.
http://cdn.viewmixed.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Ron-Swanson-All-Bacon-Eggs.gif

Sukoto
06-15-2017, 08:36 PM
I was intrigued enough to actually look up information about JordanCon. And then I saw that it's in Atlanta. And I remembered that my wife has never read WoT, and never will, and would never allow me to leave her with the kids to go to Atlanta for a weekend.

Is there a 12-step program for whipped husbands?

Khoram
06-16-2017, 06:45 AM
I was intrigued enough to actually look up information about JordanCon. And then I saw that it's in Atlanta. And I remembered that my wife has never read WoT, and never will, and would never allow me to leave her with the kids to go to Atlanta for a weekend.

Is there a 12-step program for whipped husbands?

Not a 12-step program, but...

Step 1: Bring the wife along​.

Step 2: Get us to convince her to read WoT.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit

Brita
06-16-2017, 08:39 AM
My husband plans on coming, so she won't be the only non-WOT person there :)

Sei'taer
06-19-2017, 06:52 PM
My wife comes every year and she's never read the books. She has a blast every year too.

There's a lot to do even if you've never seen the books. There are authors everywhere, art stuff, cool forums, etc.

Southpaw2012
06-19-2017, 09:38 PM
My wife comes every year and she's never read the books. She has a blast every year too.

There's a lot to do even if you've never seen the books. There are authors everywhere, art stuff, cool forums, etc.

Whisky. Lots and lots of whisky.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-25-2017, 06:47 AM
oh god. we're so broke, the endless house renovation is sucking up every penny we have :(

but we'll try

Isabel
07-28-2017, 09:13 AM
oh god. we're so broke, the endless house renovation is sucking up every penny we have :(

but we'll try

I hope so :)

Davian93
07-28-2017, 10:04 AM

but we'll try

Ooh, what are you doing to your house??? Renovations always suck when they're going on but the aftermath is always fun...like getting a whole new house. Stay strong, it'll be over soon. :)

Khoram
07-29-2017, 04:53 PM
Ooh, what are you doing to your house??? Renovations always suck when they're going on but the aftermath is always fun...like getting a whole new house. Stay strong, it'll be over soon. :)

The worst is when you're renovating a bathroom. Painting, fixing the walls and the taps, fixing the toilet... And then you need to use it, but can't.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-31-2017, 07:16 AM

well. the saga begins 3 (or is it 4 now?) years ago when Dai and his brother inherited their aunt's house. Long story short, we sold our apartment and bought Dai's brother out. Now, the house, it's a 1930's building, and Dai's aunt's husband was its first ever owner (she was his 2nd wife). So basically in the 70's it had a little bit of work done and nothing since. According to the new (and IMO quite sensible, although rather annoying to live up to) regulations, once you want to renovate more than 30% of the house, it needs re-certifying for the electrical works. Which meant that we had to replace all of the electrics. Of the entire house. Which meant opening all the ceilings and while we were at *that* we figured might as well replace the water and sewage works too and work all that stuff inside the ceilings and walls instead of having pipes along the walls. And so while we were taking out the old lines from the walls, some of them turned out to be... um.. extremely fragile so we had to demolish those and put in new walls. Which in the long run will be great because we also insulated everything (for sound) and now it's possible to hang stuff on the walls without accidentally pulling the whole wall down.

We moved in 2 years ago (September) and at that point we had the bathroom and 1 toilet pretty much finished, and one room in the attic (we're working top down) We only had heating in the attic and all the lights and appliances and stuff ran on extension cords.

We ran into quite some delay last year during and right after my pregnancy when our contractor (who's also our neighbour. although as of today not any more, they moved out last week. yay!) suddenly started delaying. Didn't answer the phone, didn't show up, always kept saying "I've planned time for you next week" and then would show up like 1 afternoon for 2 hours... By then we had all of the attic done (bedroom and what will be a studio for Dai but now is our living room/family room, and a small laundry room/pantry/kitchen area). So at some point I kind of used my "we have a newborn and I WILL NOT bathe him in an unheated room in the middle of winter" card, which I think proved quite effective. We got a new contractor to finish plastering the walls/ceilings so that we could install the radiators. and lo and behold, just around Christmas last year we got heating on the same floor as the bathroom.

Now unfortunately we've had no time to get the stuff going again but the aim is to get the works so far that we can move one more floor down by the end of September. We only need to put the floor in 1 room and the hallway and do some final touchups, which sounds a lot less work than it is. But it's doable, I think.

And then we'll get started on closing up the ceilings and hiring guys to plaster the hell out of ground floor, installing the kitchen (which we already bought, it's been sitting in boxes all this time), the downstairs toilet, painting and putting the floor in... I gotta say, going without a kitchen for 2 years is pretty hard. I mean, we manage, but it's not great.

GonzoTheGreat
07-31-2017, 07:25 AM
Which in the long run will be great because we also insulated everything (for sound) and now it's possible to hang stuff on the walls without accidentally pulling the whole wall down.
Far less adventuresome this way, though.

When you're done, you can dig a cellar beneath the house. That'd keep you busy, wouldn't it?

yks 6nnetu hing
07-31-2017, 07:40 AM

When you're done, you can dig a cellar beneath the house. That'd keep you busy, wouldn't it?

I suspect we'll just start from the top again...

Khoram
07-31-2017, 11:13 AM
I suspect we'll just start from the top again...

Yeah. The top of the cellar to the bottom.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-02-2017, 07:01 AM
Yeah. The top of the cellar to the bottom.

um. Can't, we hit the groundwater/North Sea pretty damn quick :rolleyes:

Khoram
08-02-2017, 07:33 AM

:eek: That's rather unfortunate.

GonzoTheGreat
08-02-2017, 10:27 AM
You'll have to wait a bit, then. During the next Ice Age, the water levels will be a lot lower, and then you can dig a proper cellar. Alternatively, you can install a good window in it; but convincing any sharks to swim past at the right moment* would be tricky with the North Sea, I suspect.

* Which Bond movies did that happen in? For some reason I can't remember that right now.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-03-2017, 10:33 PM

I just want to point out there is heat and hot water for bathing at JordanCon

ShadowbaneX
08-03-2017, 11:04 PM
I just want to point out there is heat and hot water for bathing at JordanCon
It's not hot water you need to find in April in Atlanta, it's cold water. I suppose it's better than Vegas in July though.

Khoram
08-04-2017, 08:59 AM
It's not hot water you need to find in April in Atlanta, it's cold water. I suppose it's better than Vegas in July though.

Dry heat is so much more bearable, though. When you combine humidity with increased temperatures, that's when you start suffering. Same with dry cold vs humidity in the winter.

Rand al'Fain
08-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Dry heat is so much more bearable, though. When you combine humidity with increased temperatures, that's when you start suffering. Same with dry cold vs humidity in the winter.

Toss in elevation, and that just brings up all new problems for those not used to it.

ShadowbaneX
08-04-2017, 11:49 AM

Heat is just bad. Hest with humidity is worse. I'm happy in the 15 to 18C zone.

Khoram
08-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Heat is just bad. Hest with humidity is worse. I'm happy in the 15 to 18C zone.

Mid- to late-spring is the best time to me. Or early fall.

ShadowbaneX
08-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Sounds about right...although I guess it depends on which part of the planet you are on.

GonzoTheGreat
08-06-2017, 03:30 AM
When the polar bears return to land, annoyed that their hunting ice is gone. And when the polar bears are really fed up with staying on land and thus get very grumpy, waiting for the new ice to grow strong enough. Exiting times, those.

Khoram
08-06-2017, 06:08 PM
When the polar bears return to land, annoyed that their hunting ice is gone. And when the polar bears are really fed up with staying on land and thus get very grumpy, waiting for the new ice to grow strong enough. Exiting times, those.

It's why I stay as far south as possible, while still staying in the country, and not going near Toronto.

Hopper
09-14-2017, 03:32 PM
OK. Who has already purchased their memberships for JCX?

If you haven't done so already, I HIGHLY recommend you get yours before the end of the year. Prices have a nasty habit of going up.

$50 through Dec 31st, 2017
$55 through Mar 25th, 2018
Pre-Registration closes March 25th, 2018
$65 at the door

I really hope to see you all there.

ShadowbaneX
09-14-2017, 04:25 PM
OK. Who has already purchased their memberships for JCX?

If you haven't done so already, I HIGHLY recommend you get yours before the end of the year. Prices have a nasty habit of going up.

$50 through Dec 31st, 2017
$55 through Mar 25th, 2018
Pre-Registration closes March 25th, 2018
$65 at the door

I really hope to see you all there.

For the excessively lazy like myself, do you have a link?

Sarevok
09-15-2017, 10:19 AM
For the excessively lazy like myself, do you have a link?

http://jordancon.org/membership

Sei'taer
09-26-2017, 09:19 AM
So, I'm seeing a lot of replies saying everyone is going to be there. That's good!

I also learned:

GtG swims with North Sea sharks in his cellar, yks doesn't like seep water or the North Sea. SBX enjoys non sweaty heat (although understanding those degreeses makes my head hurt). Thiefy thinks I'm cool. SBC takes sad pics. Polar bears are grumpy only on land. Khoram stays tropical in the dry cold.

What did I miss?

Ivhon
09-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Im gonna try to make it. Try.

Isabel
09-29-2017, 06:43 AM
yay :)