PDA

View Full Version : Another reason not to archive boards

Terez
09-27-2008, 04:55 AM
It's not necessary according to WH (who has been an admin at a vBulletin site for a long time) because you don't lose posts just because a particular board is getting big (as was the case on ezBoard), and also because you can change the index page list so that it doesn't run off the page, so that's not a problem.

But I also just noticed that it screws up the searching functions. Now, if I go to WH's profile, and "find all threads started by Weird Harold", I don't get any of the topics in the archived Non-WoT board. Same with "find all posts by Weird Harold". That is a serious pain in the ass.

So, I can't see any reason to archive them at all - the search function makes it easy enough to find what you're looking for.

Davian93
09-27-2008, 09:17 AM
We have a search function?

Just kidding, I like the search function here far more than the one on the old Yuku/EZboards. I also like being able to find all the threads started by people or even myself (I realized how many inane threads I started when I did this).

Weird Harold
09-27-2008, 11:23 AM
But I also just noticed that it screws up the searching functions.

There is apparently some option to disable the search function in archives, because the search function should turn up thread in the archive -- especially when you explicity select the archive as the forum to search.

I't probably similar to the toggle to make archives visible in the index.

It is something that needs to be fixed, because archives are useless if they can't be searched.

Terez
09-27-2008, 04:44 PM
You can search the archived board, but that's not the aspect of the searching function I was talking about - I'm talking about the "find all posts/threads" option for each user.

Weird Harold
09-27-2008, 05:24 PM
You can search the archived board, but that's not the aspect of the searching function I was talking about - I'm talking about the "find all posts/threads" option for each user.
Actually, I tried to search the archive by username before I posted that. I didn't try a keyword search because I didn't expect it to work if the simplest and quickest search function (searching one field of the post headers) didn't work.

ETA: Apparently nobody mentioned either "Moggy" or "Rand" in that archived forum becaue neither word turns up any results as a keyword search term... <shrugs>

Terez
09-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Well, it is a Non-WoT forum. :p

I tried searching it now too, and you're right - it definitely doesn't work (even though the forum shows up in the search list):

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i111/Terez27/Picture10-3.png

Nae'blis
09-27-2008, 06:34 PM
I could have sworn I set the Search option to 'on'. Turns out that it was set to off. Search away.

Terez
09-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Be careful with that toggle switch there, Nae'blis. :p

Nae'blis
09-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Be careful with that toggle switch there, Nae'blis. :p
Be careful or you might find your post count reset or your title changed. ;)

Terez
09-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Honestly, I'm not worried much about either. ;)