Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012 (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Remours about Tuon (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2145)

Enigma 08-26-2009 05:09 PM

Remours about Tuon

I was wondering if it was ever revealed who started the stories about a Tuon lookalike trying to extract payment/tribute from jewelers. I know that Suorth certainly used the sentement that they generated among the Seanchan army to try to get them to kill Tuon if they stumbled on her but she did not start them. Her pov in KoD is clear enough on that.

As far as I recall they started before Tuon actually dissapeared so someone certainly was planning ahead. I suppose Semirhage is no 1 suspect but I was wondering if it was ever confirmed anywhere.

Toss the dice 08-26-2009 06:25 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, no idea but Semirhage would be my #1 guess.

Terez 08-26-2009 06:46 PM

I always figured it was Semirhage with her eye on an angreal (she was extorting gold and jewelry from merchants - not 'payment' from jewelers).

Of course, it did lend strength to Suroth's eventual plan - to kill Tuon by turning her army against a 'pretender' - but she made that plan after she learned of the rumors. It wasn't Semirhage's plan, because Semirhage pretty much left Suroth on her own to come up with a plan. So the angreal thing is the only thing that really makes sense to me, unless she had need to extort metals to make the copies of the male a'dam. The female a'dam are made of silver; the male ones are 'a form of cuendillar', perhaps made from gold instead of iron?

Still, it seems that Semirhage could have found a better way to steal this stuff than pretending to be Tuon.

Enigma 08-27-2009 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
... unless she had need to extort metals to make the copies of the male a'dam. The female a'dam are made of silver; the male ones are 'a form of cuendillar', perhaps made from gold instead of iron?

Damn, the credit cruch has even affected the Shadow! We really are in a crisis if when the evil overlord can't get cash for his minions.

Mort 08-27-2009 08:41 AM

Hehe, I read Tremours about Tuon :P

Sephy-Stabbity 08-31-2009 06:52 PM

why not use damane for metal?

It seems to me unlikely that Semirhage would go to all the trouble of exhorting merchants when she or one of the Seanchan damane could easily do the job. I remember reading somewhere in TGH that Damane gifted with earth are used to pinpoint metal. Or if Semi could get in and kill the entire Imperial Family, surely she doesnt need to resort to exhortion to get metal? Especially if it was to get adam metal, wouldn't she want to be a little more circumspect? :confused:

Unless she really was manipulating Suroth's plan from behind the scenes, even though she seemed not to care whether Suroth gained the Crystal Throne..?:o

Terez 08-31-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephy-Stabbity
It seems to me unlikely that Semirhage would go to all the trouble of exhorting merchants when she or one of the Seanchan damane could easily do the job. I remember reading somewhere in TGH that Damane gifted with earth are used to pinpoint metal.

Yeah, though they're generally sent back home to work in the mines - that's what they were going to do with Egwene. But that's just one of many ways that Semirhage could have gotten what she needed. Even if it was an angreal, she could have used Compulsion (unless she just sucks at it). The only thing that really makes sense is that she wanted those rumors to be spread, which doesn't exactly make sense either since she wasn't in on Suroth's plan.

Frenzy 09-01-2009 01:46 AM

Perhaps Galgan isn't as loyal as he appears? Any of the Blood could have schemed to bring Tuon down and raise themselves up in her place.

Weird Harold 09-01-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenzy
Perhaps Galgan isn't as loyal as he appears? Any of the Blood could have schemed to bring Tuon down and raise themselves up in her place.

The only hint we have of that possibility is from Suroth's POV and filtered through her paranoia and ambitions. The fact that Suroth didn't trust him seems to me to be the best testimonial his loyalty to Tuon could get. :p

FelixPax 09-01-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
The only thing that really makes sense is that she wanted those rumors to be spread, which doesn't exactly make sense either since she wasn't in on Suroth's plan.

The Dark One did want "chaos" spread across the Westlands, not only in the Westlands. Killing the Seanchan royalty in Seandar was just the beginning. If she couldn't get to Tuon directly now, best to undermine her grasp on power with misleading propaganda. It wouldn't be the 1st time the Shadow has gone this route - Masema, Taim, and mass rumors about the Dragon Reborn across the Westlands. Propaganda can kill, stories do matter.

Rumors spread from the bottom to the top of the Seanchan Empire, could kill Tuon as easily as create the Dark One's desired chaos in KoD.

Enigma 09-01-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenzy

Even if he did bring her down before the Empress and her family were killed there is no guarantee that he would be raised to replace her.

Galgan and Suroth seem to be operating as "super high lord/lady" given command over others but that authority still came from the Empress and they are not members of the imperial family.

Pre the Seanchan collapse if Tuon was gone another daughter/son would be made heir apparent. The only way Galgan could hope for that sort of promotion would be to show that Tuon was planning to over throw the Empress and extorting money from merchangs is nowhere is the same league of offence.