Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Wheel of Time Discussion (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Companion spoiler thread (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8735)

sleepinghour 10-11-2015 05:20 PM

Companion spoiler thread
 
Since a fair portion of the Companion is now available at Amazon through the "look inside the book" feature, and the other preview thread was getting long, here's a new thread to discuss the encyclopedia's contents.

Please note that spoilers will run rampant here, so this is not the place for those who wish to remain unspoiled until the entire book is out.

sleepinghour 10-11-2015 06:19 PM

Possible errors and inconsistencies:
  • Adeleas' entry says she and Vandene retired in 970 NE to Tifan's Well in Arafel. However, TPoD chapter 38 implies it was 70 years ago (around 930 NE). (p19)
  • Aviendha's strength is said to be 11(2), with no mentions of having a greater potential, though the books claim her potential was equal to Elayne and Egwene's, 8(+5). The + sign is also missing; it should be +2. (p90)
  • Cadsuane's strength is said to be 5(+8) in her own and Tamela's entry, but 9(+4) in Nicola's. (p532, 721)
  • Losaine's strength is said to be 22(15). Level 22 on the new list corresponds to 10 on the old one. (p430)
  • Metarra's strength is said to be 9(4), "roughly equal to Egwene and Elayne" who are in fact one level above her. This may not be an error depending on whether it refers to their current strength, or "roughly" includes the strength level above. The + sign is also missing; it should be +4. (p486)
  • Sorilea's strength is said to be 57(35). Level 57 on the new list corresponds to 45 on the old one.

If anyone notices other inconsistencies, please let me know and I'll add them to the list.

Davian93 10-11-2015 07:09 PM

I kinda wish they'd lock it down...they're giving away way too much of the book with the preview.

fionwe1987 10-11-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepinghour (Post 233428)
Possible errors and inconsistencies:
  • Aviendha's strength is said to be 11(+2), with no mentions of having a greater potential, though the books claim her potential was equal to Elayne and Egwene's, 8(+5). (p90)
  • Cadsuane's strength is said to be 5(+8) in her own and Tamela's entry, but 9(+4) in Nicola's. (p125, 532, 721)

If anyone notices other inconsistencies, please let me know and I'll add them to the list.

Interesting that Cadsuane's strength shows so much variation in the book itself. I can't believe they'd miss something so obvious.

sleepinghour 10-11-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 233429)
I kinda wish they'd lock it down...they're giving away way too much of the book with the preview.

Yeah, I was surprised by how much was available, and several weeks before release date. I'm guessing this is very much an unintentional side effect of Amazon's preview and search feature. When it comes to regular books, there isn't much to gain from getting bits and pieces. But in the case of an encyclopedia, you can extract quite a lot of information from those pieces. However, I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the important entries (Rand, Moiraine, most Forsaken, Perrin, Lan, Egwene) are excluded from the previews. So they probably took some precautions to keep all the juicy tidbits from being spoiled early.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionwe1987 (Post 233430)
Interesting that Cadsuane's strength shows so much variation in the book itself. I can't believe they'd miss something so obvious.

To be fair, it sounds like RJ had different strengths for Cadsuane, so they settled on one, but forgot to adjust Nicola's entry where it's mentioned her potential was equal to Cadsuane. But I think it would have made more sense to go with the lower strength, as this is more consistent with what's been said in the books.

Another, very minor issue which is mainly noticeable when you make an Excel spreadsheet with the different lists is that a few strengths don't match up. For example, Sorilea's strength is said to be 57/35, but 57 should be 45 in the old list. So, I'm guessing they might have had Sorilea listed as a 57 somewhere and miscalculated the other number. There are a few cases like this.

(Not trying to make bloopers/complaints the focus of this thread, as that would ruin all the fun, but it's difficult to make sense of the OP strength list without taking the tiny inconsistencies into account.)

Southpaw2012 10-11-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 233429)
I kinda wish they'd lock it down...they're giving away way too much of the book with the preview.

I'm amazed at how much they actually show. I would understand previewing entries for "A" or something like that, but to go through the whole thing with a little bit of everything is kinda shocking.

fionwe1987 10-11-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepinghour (Post 233432)
Another, very minor issue which is mainly noticeable when you make an Excel spreadsheet with the different lists is that a few strengths don't match up. For example, Sorilea's strength is said to be 57/35, but 57 should be 45 in the old list. So, I'm guessing they might have had Sorilea listed as a 57 somewhere and miscalculated the other number. There are a few cases like this.

Yeah, that's why I've been exclusively looking at the first number, which is from the new list. The old list is a curiosity, it doesn't much help if we have to rank all the characters.

Terez 10-11-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 233429)
I kinda wish they'd lock it down...they're giving away way too much of the book with the preview.

I thought they had learned their lesson with the AMOL prologue which we pretty much pieced together from preview searches. They actually served us a copyright notice for that because it was a team effort and had to be done on a Google Doc.

Maybe they thought we wouldn't make the effort for the Companion. Maybe they don't care as much this time. It's hard to believe they forgot, though.

Davian93 10-12-2015 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 233436)
I thought they had learned their lesson with the AMOL prologue which we pretty much pieced together from preview searches. They actually served us a copyright notice for that because it was a team effort and had to be done on a Google Doc.

Maybe they thought we wouldn't make the effort for the Companion. Maybe they don't care as much this time. It's hard to believe they forgot, though.

It feels like we could probably piece together 75% of it if we wanted to.

I don't see the point really as it'll be available in a few weeks anyway but whatever.

Just seems like it'd hurt book sales.

sleepinghour 10-12-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionwe1987 (Post 233435)
Yeah, that's why I've been exclusively looking at the first number, which is from the new list. The old list is a curiosity, it doesn't much help if we have to rank all the characters.

Thing is, we don't know which of those two numbers is correct. If it says 57(35), is Sorilea's actual strength supposed to be 57(45) or 47(35)? Since it's Sorilea, I'm guessing the lowest level is the right one, but we don't know for sure. There are a few other cases like this where either number could be right.

fionwe1987 10-12-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepinghour (Post 233439)
Thing is, we don't know which of those two numbers is correct. If it says 57(35), is Sorilea's actual strength supposed to be 57(45) or 47(35)? Since it's Sorilea, I'm guessing the lowest level is the right one, but we don't know for sure. There are a few other cases like this where either number could be right.

It is definitely the lowest one. If she were level 47, she wouldn't be "so weak as to make Daigian look moderately strong", since Daigian is level 45.

C Rutherford 10-12-2015 10:03 AM

Whichever level it is, I still find it odd that there are plenty of levels below Sorilea. I can see maybe five between her and Morgase but fifteen? Or more? Too bad we can't find out why Jordan saw so many variations at that end of the spectrum and yet had such a tight race at the top as it were. Even if you take into account the addition with the superpowered women, it seems rather narrow in some ways.

Terez 10-12-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Rutherford (Post 233441)
Whichever level it is, I still find it odd that there are plenty of levels below Sorilea. I can see maybe five between her and Morgase but fifteen? Or more?

In the notes, RJ was considering a range of strengths for Sorilea, between 51(39) and 60(48), but he noted that she was probably "toward the bottom" of that range. We did not see a strength level noted for Morgase, but in his COT/KOD notes he said that 57(45) is the level where the ability to lift anything with the Power drops to a feather, so we figured that was about the strength he had in mind for Morgase, maybe a little lower.

C Rutherford 10-12-2015 12:02 PM

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate the insight you have and hopefully will keep providing. I actually like hearing about the discrepancies like this as it provides a view towards the thought processes of RJ and adds to the fact that since he never really finished the series as it should have been unfortunately and wasn't really given the chance to even tackle a project like this, it provides the type of legacy I think he and the series then deserve if that makes sense. So much of my late childhood and early adulthood was given over to exploring all the what ifs and red herrings and clues and all the underpinings to what I still consider my favorite fantasy world. So if I cannot have the definitive Robert Jordan guide/encycopledia, I would rather enjoy what we get and spiced with such tidbits as you feel proper to divulge.

I hope to explore the notes myself but even more I am hoping that the creation process is a legacy that should not be destroyed or kept to a few even if that few someday includes myself. I'd really like to see someone tackle the variances in a more essay approach to matters and characters and segments of the whole series that either transitioned into being foundational elements or were discarded or transformed from the original in such a way they are unrecognizable when they became part of the series.

Again thank you very much.

Just speaking for myself, but I also think Jordan likely made up his mind as he wrote and maybe just did not go back and take the time to update the notes. Things like these strength issues, I will still rely on the series as the 'canon'. For me, Cadsuane is just below Elayne because the series places the majority of evidence in that regard. Sorilea when coupled with the Kin members who fall below the Tower's admission criteria makes me place her towards the bottom of the scale than what the guide now seems to say. Meilyn's age I find problematic. Vandene and Adeleas' retirement I find problematic.

But I think I am okay with that. I think that discrepancies like this show that maybe they are not cleaned up too much and that Jordan's creative processes are allowed to peek through on occasion.

sleepinghour 10-12-2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Rutherford (Post 233445)
Vandene and Adeleas' retirement I find problematic.

Just wondering, what was the issue with Vandene and Adeleas' retirement?

sleepinghour 10-12-2015 02:36 PM

Disappointingly, Valan Luca's entry remains cloaked in mystery. Only by searching for "well-turned calves" was I able to uncover a few, tantalizing sentences from it. (FYI, the only other entry that particular search term brought forth was Toram Riatin's, which doesn't bode well for Galad's entry, I regret to say.) Aside from his well-turned calves, we also learn that Valan Luca was six feet tall and had broad shoulders.

I had also expected more mentions of pillow friendships, but Bera and Kiruna has been the only surprise, so far. Seonid was confirmed to be a lesbian, which settles that debate.

Terez 10-12-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepinghour (Post 233447)
I had also expected more mentions of pillow friendships, but Bera and Kiruna has been the only surprise, so far.

I don't know if "surprise" is really the right word. Though I did get the impression that there was a gulf between them in terms of attractiveness. I wonder if channelers are just instinctively attracted (in all ways) to people whose strength equals their own.

I considered writing an alternative timeline fanfic set at the end of the 2nd Age and shipping Lanfear and Semirhage. I think they would be good for each other.

Terez 10-12-2015 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Rutherford (Post 233445)
Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate the insight you have and hopefully will keep providing. I actually like hearing about the discrepancies like this as it provides a view towards the thought processes of RJ and adds to the fact that since he never really finished the series as it should have been unfortunately and wasn't really given the chance to even tackle a project like this, it provides the type of legacy I think he and the series then deserve if that makes sense. So much of my late childhood and early adulthood was given over to exploring all the what ifs and red herrings and clues and all the underpinings to what I still consider my favorite fantasy world. So if I cannot have the definitive Robert Jordan guide/encycopledia, I would rather enjoy what we get and spiced with such tidbits as you feel proper to divulge.

As a fellow HCFF I am of course happy to divulge everything I saw because none of it is really off limits. I am only constrained by two things: 1) the publication of the Companion (i.e. I have to wait for things to be revealed there) and 2) Fair Use restraints (i.e. I can't put the files online or quote too extensively). I am not interested in info-dumping right after the Companion comes out but I will clarify where appropriate and perhaps reveal other things as time goes on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Rutherford (Post 233445)
I hope to explore the notes myself but even more I am hoping that the creation process is a legacy that should not be destroyed or kept to a few even if that few someday includes myself. I'd really like to see someone tackle the variances in a more essay approach to matters and characters and segments of the whole series that either transitioned into being foundational elements or were discarded or transformed from the original in such a way they are unrecognizable when they became part of the series.

I am looking forward to doing something like this but I am taking advantage of the meantime to go HCFF on another topic. Linda will no doubt be writing something as well, but I have no idea what restraints she has placed on herself regarding the material she was given.

sleepinghour 10-12-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 233448)
I don't know if "surprise" is really the right word. Though I did get the impression that there was a gulf between them in terms of attractiveness.

Yeah, they seemed a bit of an odd couple in that Kiruna was the beautiful, queenly type (and was in fact the sister of a King) while Bera was always described as looking like a farmwife. Apparently they were pillow friends when they were younger and went on to men exclusively, but remained close friends. So they remind a bit of Moiraine and Siuan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 233448)
I wonder if channelers are just instinctively attracted (in all ways) to people whose strength equals their own.

I considered writing an alternative timeline fanfic set at the end of the 2nd Age and shipping Lanfear and Semirhage. I think they would be good for each other.

Well, Lanfear would enjoy being part of a "power couple," and Semirhage would be just too terrifying for most everyone else. :) Interestingly, Mesaana's entry mentioned a "close and rather peculiar" relationship with Demandred and Semirhage, which probably shouldn't be interpreted as a wacky threesome romance, but was an interesting tidbit nonetheless.

C Rutherford 10-12-2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepinghour (Post 233446)
Just wondering, what was the issue with Vandene and Adeleas' retirement?

In the Adeleas entry it says she and Vandene went into retirement in 970 NE. Yet in the books it says they retired 70 years prior (about 930 NE). Lots of sisters are alive to remember 30 years ago. Heck Romanda didn't stun anyone when she came out of her retirement which was only a couple years off and she is older. The description about them being a secret resource of Moiraine's makes more sense if they retired 70 years ago in big part because so many older sisters who would have known them and been contemporaries were apparently killed off by the Black Ajah. That nature didn't take care of that is.

I do think it is interesting that Cetalia was killed by the Black Ajah. Also it looks like 981 saw three sitters needed which might also point to at least part of the Black Ajah's spree.

fionwe1987 10-12-2015 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Rutherford (Post 233453)
In the Adeleas entry it says she and Vandene went into retirement in 970 NE. Yet in the books it says they retired 70 years prior (about 930 NE). Lots of sisters are alive to remember 30 years ago. Heck Romanda didn't stun anyone when she came out of her retirement which was only a couple years off and she is older. The description about them being a secret resource of Moiraine's makes more sense if they retired 70 years ago in big part because so many older sisters who would have known them and been contemporaries were apparently killed off by the Black Ajah. That nature didn't take care of that is.

But Vandene and Adeleas weren't prominent powerful sisters. While the 70 vs. 30 thing is a discrepancy, it doesn't change a lot in book. Cadsuane was seen 20 years ago, yet everyone is shocked to see her alive.

Quote:

I do think it is interesting that Cetalia was killed by the Black Ajah. Also it looks like 981 saw three sitters needed which might also point to at least part of the Black Ajah's spree.
Wow, this is in the Companion? Can I get some key words so I can search for the right text?

Not surprising though. She was the head of the Blue network. Siuan herself points out in NS how she might be able to track the Black's activity if they go around killing men and boys. Who better than the head of the network to sift through the patterns, and arrive at the exact same conclusion Siuan did? In fact, she may well have gone to Sierin Vayu, who already had an inkling of some crazy stuff happening from Siuan's note.

The fact that a Blue then stepped in a and so effectively ended the pogroms adds to this theory, I feel.

Terez 10-12-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepinghour (Post 233451)
Yeah, they seemed a bit of an odd couple in that Kiruna was the beautiful, queenly type (and was in fact the sister of a King) while Bera was always described as looking like a farmwife. Apparently they were pillow friends when they were younger and went on to men exclusively, but remained close friends. So they remind a bit of Moiraine and Siuan.

Definitely. Cue Perrin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrin LOC
By smell he would have said Bera or Kiruna was the leader; Bera, he thought, though it was close and sometimes seemed to shift the other way for a time.

So it seems the farmwife leads among them. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepinghour (Post 233451)
Well, Lanfear would enjoy being part of a "power couple," and Semirhage would be just too terrifying for most everyone else. :) Interestingly, Mesaana's entry mentioned a "close and rather peculiar" relationship with Demandred and Semirhage, which probably shouldn't be interpreted as a wacky threesome romance, but was an interesting tidbit nonetheless.

Yeah, I tend to doubt that. I suspect it was peculiar because they could tolerate working with each other for so long. All three of them probably had a pretty good sense of how easily they could be picked off if they worked alone, and that made them different than most of the other Forsaken. They were able to persist without the power struggles that handicapped other potential alliances among the Forsaken because they were, in a sense, very pragmatic people.

fionwe1987 10-12-2015 08:22 PM

Talking of Kiruna, I was able to read some more snippets on her. Apparently, she tried to run away and join the Tower, twice when she was 12, and twice more when she was 13. The second time, she actually made it to the Tower, but was sent back because she was too young. She was finally accepted at 14 because of her determination, and apparently her fierce desire to be Aes Sedai was "well known" in the Tower.

Also, the Red Ajah has a secret ceremony called the Grand Emergence, where they walk through a warded place, and still speak in a guarded way. It was a plan for seizing the Tower, "should the need arise".

Interestingly, Katerine joined the BA in 987 NE, 5 years after she was raised to the shawl, so she wasn't marked out by Merean or anything.

Merean was Andoran, and had a Warder early on, but never bonded another after he died. Rumor was that she loved him, but he had been a Darkfriend, and she didn't find it easy to get a replacement and without the Three Oaths, never found the need.

Merean, incidentally, killed Larelle soon after Moiraine and Siuan fled. Larelle was one of Tamra's searchers, though neither Moiraine or Siuan knew this to save her. This confirms that there were more women that Siuan or Moiraine knew of. They all seem to have been very strong in the Power, apart from being adherents of the Law.

The Mistress of Novices, incidentally, could be chosen by the Hall and forced on an Amyrlin. She had absolute authority over her charges, and could defy even the Amyrlin Seat, or the lesser consensus of the Hall. Only the Greater Consensus could overrule her. This is interesting, because it explains why Elaida had to order Silviana's arrest. If she allowed her to continue as MoN, she'd need a Greater Consensus from the Hall to keep Egwene imprisoned, which she was highly unlikely to get. So she substituted Katerine for the post.

Lelaine: She was only named First Selector after the Tower split, meaning the previous head died. She apparently was fond of Logain as a "fierce dog she had tamed". Whoa. Also, she and her faction tried to use tel'aran'rhiod to spy on Rand.

C Rutherford 10-12-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionwe1987 (Post 233454)
But Vandene and Adeleas weren't prominent powerful sisters. While the 70 vs. 30 thing is a discrepancy, it doesn't change a lot in book. Cadsuane was seen 20 years ago, yet everyone is shocked to see her alive.

And Romanda is not. And the matter of shock is not the point. The establishment of them as 70 years in retirement is. It is who they are in the books from the time Moiraine visits them to the time they reveal a significant aspect in the Garenia reveal. You might not think so. But I do. and I've consulted the judges and that is what matters ;) For me.

I simply don't think I'm going to throw away a discrepancy as such or mattering as much because someone else thinks it matters or doesn't matter that much. No offense. And I expect you will use your own judgement for yourself in the same manner.

Plus I think some of the shock is simply due to the fact that some assumed she was dead because she had been quiet for so long. Certainly more than two dozen sisters who took Logain knew she was alive more than a year before she shows up in the books. Unless she wore a mask and rode off into the sunset.


Quote:

Originally Posted by fionwe1987 (Post 233454)
Wow, this is in the Companion? Can I get some key words so I can search for the right text?

Err....Cetalia Delarme? Didn't even need to do a search when I read it. Page 150. Was available just scrolling down the pages for preview.

Davian93 10-12-2015 09:35 PM

I'm fairly disappointed that there are so many apparent mistakes in the Companion so far. You'd think the editing would be nearly perfect after this many years.

fionwe1987 10-12-2015 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Rutherford (Post 233457)
And Romanda is not. And the matter of shock is not the point. The establishment of them as 70 years in retirement is. It is who they are in the books from the time Moiraine visits them to the time they reveal a significant aspect in the Garenia reveal. You might not think so. But I do. and I've consulted the judges and that is what matters ;) For me.

I simply don't think I'm going to throw away a discrepancy as such or mattering as much because someone else thinks it matters or doesn't matter that much. No offense. And I expect you will use your own judgement for yourself in the same manner.

Plus I think some of the shock is simply due to the fact that some assumed she was dead because she had been quiet for so long. Certainly more than two dozen sisters who took Logain knew she was alive more than a year before she shows up in the books. Unless she wore a mask and rode off into the sunset.

Whoa hold your horses. I didn't tell you what to think, anywhere. I only said that just because they retired 30 years ago doesn't mean they wouldn't be forgotten.

Weiramon 10-13-2015 01:40 AM

Burn my soul, that ugly whelp of the Blacksmith's Asha'man wasn't so young as some of the peasants here claimed.

fionwe1987 10-13-2015 02:08 AM

Read some snippets about the BA. Apparently, Ishamael came up with the name as a joke. Apparently many BA members have been irked that they don't get to control all Darkfriends. There have been periodic attempts to achieve this, but the Darkfriends fight back with knives and poison.

The last attempt, apparently, was particularly disastrous. The BA, specifically, some members of the Supreme Council, were forced to eat humble pie in a meeting, and had to accept their votes being reduced from five to one (whatever that means).

Also, they apparently keep watch not just for potential Novice and Accepted who could become members, but Aes Sedai too. And if an Aes Sedai asked around about the BA, then the watch was increased.If she found any trace of them, she was brought before them, shielded, stripped and bound to increase the sense of vulnerability. Then, two knives were held at either end of her throat, and a mirror was placed in front of her so she could see her life's blood drained away if she was cut.

Then, she was woken up, and asked if she wanted to join. If she said no, they'd use the OP to question her about who she had talked to. If she said yes, the Oath Rod was placed in her hand and she was made to forswear her Oaths.

I put all this in because we can be pretty sure this is what Verin was faced with. She asked around, and was put in a life or death situation.

fionwe1987 10-13-2015 02:31 AM

The three BA Oaths:

1) I shall obey all commands given by those placed above me in service to the Great Lord.

2) I shall prepare for the day of the Great Lord's return

3) I shall hold close the secrets of the Black Ajah, unto the hour of my death.

Oath 3 seems different from what Verin said in tGS:

“I swear not to betray the Great Lord, to keep my secrets until the hour of my death.”

Oath 1 should remove any reason for the Forsaken to force the Aes Sedai, but I guess the "in service to the Great Lord" part gives them a lot of wiggle room.

Oath no. 2 seems pretty useless on a daily basis. But maybe that's why Jarna felt it was okay to kill the Dragon Reborn without permission.

Terez 10-13-2015 03:06 AM

The Black Ajah oaths were already revealed in a Q&A Maria did for Waygate.

sleepinghour 10-13-2015 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Rutherford (Post 233453)
In the Adeleas entry it says she and Vandene went into retirement in 970 NE. Yet in the books it says they retired 70 years prior (about 930 NE).

Good catch. And it was specifically mentioned in TPoD because of Zarya Alkaese.
Quote:

Adeleas gave a satisfied nod. "This is not Garenia Rosoinde," she said. "I finally recognized her. Zarya Alkaese, a novice who ran away just before Vandene and I decided to retire and write our history of the world." [...]
Elayne was recalling something she had heard this woman say the first time she met her. The meaning had not registered then, but now it did. How would Zarya face novice white again after living as her own woman for seventy years?
—Path of Daggers chapter 28
I'll add it to the list of possible errors/inconsistencies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Rutherford (Post 233457)
Err....Cetalia Delarme? Didn't even need to do a search when I read it. Page 150. Was available just scrolling down the pages for preview.

It seems like everybody's getting different pages. I get 92, 139, then 156.

sleepinghour 10-13-2015 10:34 AM

As an aside, there seems to be one or two "easter eggs" in the book. You'll know it when you see it. This thread is clearly marked as a spoiler thread, and everyone is free to decide for themselves what to reveal or not. But I personally feel it would be a shame to spoil what is clearly meant to be a fun surprise, so I hope people won't until the book is out.

fionwe1987 10-13-2015 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepinghour (Post 233469)
As an aside, there seems to be one or two "easter eggs" in the book. You'll know it when you see it. This thread is clearly marked as a spoiler thread, and everyone is free to decide for themselves what to reveal or not. But I personally feel it would be a shame to spoil what is clearly meant to be a fun surprise, so I hope people won't until the book is out.

Interesting. Mind giving a clue on how we can see it, if we want to? Like a search term or something.

C Rutherford 10-13-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionwe1987 (Post 233460)
Whoa hold your horses. I didn't tell you what to think, anywhere. I only said that just because they retired 30 years ago doesn't mean they wouldn't be forgotten.

Sorry the horses are out and gamboling in a frisk manner. Seriously, though I'm a bit over sensitive to people dismissing something I find interesting as "doesn't change a lot in the books". That is fine as a subjective matter which I am sure you meant, but it came off as authoritarian in regard. Why do you or I or anyone else get to determine such as it stands for others? I'm sure you never meant that at all.

I let the horses run free though because that is what my horses do.

fionwe1987 10-13-2015 04:19 PM

According to the Companion, Bela "unaccountably survived", and in the first years of the 4th Age, gave birth to a colt and filly,then retired.

:mad: Not happy with this obvious bit of fan service, especially since it really badly goes against the symbolic link between Egwene and Bela.

GonzoTheGreat 10-13-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionwe1987 (Post 233473)
According to the Companion, Bela "unaccountably survived", and in the first years of the 4th Age, gave birth to a colt and filly,then retired.

:mad: Not happy with this obvious bit of fan service, especially since it really badly goes against the symbolic link between Egwene and Bela.

Maybe Egwene did the same.
Does make one wonder who was the father of the kids, of course.

Davian93 10-13-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionwe1987 (Post 233473)
According to the Companion, Bela "unaccountably survived", and in the first years of the 4th Age, gave birth to a colt and filly,then retired.

:mad: Not happy with this obvious bit of fan service, especially since it really badly goes against the symbolic link between Egwene and Bela.

Well, it does fit in with the quite popular theory that Bela is indeed the Creator's avatar in Randland set there to counter the efforts of Shaidar Haran...

So there's that. Bela was only in the Two Rivers to look after Rand during his youth to begin with.

Rand al'Fain 10-13-2015 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 233476)
Well, it does fit in with the quite popular theory that Bela is indeed the Creator's avatar in Randland set there to counter the efforts of Shaidar Haran...

So there's that. Bela was only in the Two Rivers to look after Rand during his youth to begin with.

And then made sure various important persons to Rand (in one way or another) did what they needed to do. And ensured that Rand's sword ended the DO's avatar, Narg, before Narg could have his way with Rand.

C Rutherford 10-14-2015 11:15 AM

Some things that seem to be missing that I hope to be pleasantly surprised come three weeks.

1.I have yet to see anything that shows where those most recently vanished nations are on the map. Goaban seems to be the same entry that is in the books and I think Mosara and Irenvelle are not even listed (I have yet to get a entry listed for them, let alone read it).

From what I could read of Goaban it seems like it was lifted right from the glossary. I cannot remember if Irenvelle and Mosara were mentioned in the books or were added for the Big White Book. If the latter it goes back to certain entries solely being

2.The Blue Sitter killed in Elaida's coup is only mentioned as that. So she will continue to be nameless. Both Anlee and Eadgyth I think I've read and neither are mentioned as being that Sitter. In fact Anlee and Aeldra (Tamra's second Keeper) neither have any new tidbits iirc.

3.Some odd omissions of strength to some sisters. I did not make note of the actual sisters but did notice in perusing what I could and at the time thought it a bit odd we have the strengths of other sisters I thought were less prominent.

Terez 10-14-2015 06:03 PM

If it wasn't in RJ's notes, likely it won't be in the Encyclopedia.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.