Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 12: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another Gauntlet Thrown Down by Brandon (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2514)

Crispin's Crispian 11-05-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX
"when you've eliminated the impossible."

Strategically and tactically being in Far Madding with a force that strong makes great sense and Demandred was one of the greatest Generals on the side of the Shadow. It practically makes too much sense for him to be anywhere else. He could be in other places, but kiss would suggest that he's there.

The other problem is what I suggested earlier. Are there any hints in PoD of someone convincing the Borderlanders to move south? Are there hints of an imposter or new leader on the scene? Is there anything to indicate subterfuge or hidden control?

I don't think there are. I suppose there might be one of those hints early on, but I don't remember much at all about Borderlanders in books 4-6, except Bashere.

ShadowbaneX 11-05-2009 06:18 PM

Not much about the Borderlanders, but there might have been hints at the Forsaken meetings.

You might be right though, this almost seems too good at times. On one hand, it's probably exactly the position you'd think a general like Demandred would want, otoh, there's little to suggest that it's happening, when we're usually given hints...unless it is the little hint that was suggested.

Crispin's Crispian 11-05-2009 07:14 PM

It's also one of the big mysteries--what the hell are they doing in Far Madding? I'll have to dig up PoD from my garage and reread the Prologue. I believe Ethenielle said something about finding Rand and "doing what needs to be done," but WTF does that mean?

Kurtz 11-05-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
It's also one of the big mysteries--what the hell are they doing in Far Madding? I'll have to dig up PoD from my garage and reread the Prologue. I believe Ethenielle said something about finding Rand and "doing what needs to be done," but WTF does that mean?

It's really bizarre. I can maybe understand Tenobia's reasons - Taim/Bashere, but what the fuck does Easar think he's doing. Fal Dara was saved by a miracle only a couple of years previous yet he deems fit to lead a vast number of his troops out of the North :confused:

Beren 11-05-2009 09:08 PM

Did we ever find out who gave that necklace to Avhienda? Could that be the little thing we missed? It came up in books 4 and 5 I believe. I will have to double check, but I am sure it is in book 5.

I noted it in my most recent read through and don't remember that ever being resolved from my previous reading of the series. Is there something going on behind the scenes there that we don't know about?

I assume that we are going to be getting a major part of Avhienda's story arc in ToM as she just headed off to Rhuidean. Perhaps it will show up then?

---------

The only other minor thing I noticed was the angreal that Moiraine left for Lanfear to pick up next to the Redstone Doorway into Finnland. We see from her PoV that she did not like it, but we never do find out why. We also see her grab it away from Lanfear as they tumble through the door into Finnland.


I am definitely going to have to watch for little insignificant details in my next reread.

Terez 11-05-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beren
Did we ever find out who gave that necklace to Avhienda?

It was Egwene.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beren
The only other minor thing I noticed was the angreal that Moiraine left for Lanfear to pick up next to the Redstone Doorway into Finnland. We see from her PoV that she did not like it, but we never do find out why.

It says why right then, IIRC - it depicts a person whose wrists are bound to the ankles, a torture position.

Kurtz 11-05-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beren
Did we ever find out who gave that necklace to Avhienda? Could that be the little thing we missed? It came up in books 4 and 5 I believe. I will have to double check, but I am sure it is in book 5.

I noted it in my most recent read through and don't remember that ever being resolved from my previous reading of the series. Is there something going on behind the scenes there that we don't know about?

I assume that we are going to be getting a major part of Avhienda's story arc in ToM as she just headed off to Rhuidean. Perhaps it will show up then?

---------

The only other minor thing I noticed was the angreal that Moiraine left for Lanfear to pick up next to the Redstone Doorway into Finnland. We see from her PoV that she did not like it, but we never do find out why. We also see her grab it away from Lanfear as they tumble through the door into Finnland.


I am definitely going to have to watch for little insignificant details in my next reread.

I think we might see Aviendha in the prologue. I think Moiraine was unsure to the last as to how events would play out. Perhaps in some futures she failed and handed Lanfear the means with which to defeat Rand. It was a calculated but huge risk

Moiraine http://www.b3ta.cr3ation.co.uk/data/...doremirror.gif

Beren 11-05-2009 09:24 PM

Thanks guys. Obviously I missed a couple things on my re-read.

I might just have to reread those three books again before going any deeper into the series in my re-read.

Terez 11-05-2009 09:39 PM

No prob, we've got all this amassed WoT knowledge and we'd likely go crazy if not for noobs with questions.

Welcome to Theoryland, btw. ;)

Belazamon 11-05-2009 10:37 PM

Since we're talking about Borderlanders - I've always had a niggling feeling that Agelmar Jagad is a Darkfriend. Just sayin'.

Matoyak 11-05-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belazamon
Since we're talking about Borderlanders - I've always had a niggling feeling that Agelmar Jagad is a Darkfriend. Just sayin'.

This.

Kurtz 11-05-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belazamon
Since we're talking about Borderlanders - I've always had a niggling feeling that Agelmar Jagad is a Darkfriend. Just sayin'.

I disagree, for no particular reason apart from you putting your neck out and needing opposition.

Was Liandrin speaking truth!

Would Ingtar have known? He would have said.

Agelmar is a good man as far as i'm concerned.

Belazamon 11-05-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I disagree, for no particular reason apart from you putting your neck out and needing opposition.

Heh. I'd really have to pull out some old notes to seriously defend this one. Or, y'know, reread tGH.

Probably the latter. I've got too many other things to read. :D

Kurtz 11-05-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belazamon
Heh. I'd really have to pull out some old notes to seriously defend this one. Or, y'know, reread tGH.

Probably the latter. I've got too many other things to read. :D

I'd be fairly upset if that was to prove to be true. For Amalisa's sake most of all.

FelixPax 11-05-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
I believe Ethenielle said something about finding Rand and "doing what needs to be done," but WTF does that mean?

There are hints about the Borderlanders being used for the purposes of the Shadow, in 'The Shadow Rising' book Chapter "Questioners", in particular Joiya's confession to Nynaeve and Egwene. Look at the last two pages of that Chapter in tSR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tSR Chapter "Questioners"
Those who do not shrink at such butchery will seek out the Rand al'Thor who seems to revel in blood. The nations will unite as they did in the Aiel War..."

This section of Joiya's confession, refers to the Borderlanders nations and their armies in particular. It fits no other nations of the Westlands possible, bit the four remaining Borderlander nations of Arad Doman, Kandor, Arafel, Shienar. There more to Joiya's confession, Taim among them...but that's why the Borderlanders are where they are.


What I don't really understand is if Verin unloaded everything about the Black Ajah, their plans, factions et la...why didn't we learn more about their plans in tGS from Egwene's pov??? Story pacing reasons??

Matoyak 11-05-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I disagree, for no particular reason apart from you putting your neck out and needing opposition.

Well I couldn't even defend my position on this even as well as Bela here. That is to say, I just suspected it throughout the early books for no real reason other than that I did. ~shrug~

Kurtz 11-05-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
Well I couldn't even defend my position on this even as well as Bela here. That is to say, I just suspected it throughout the early books for no real reason other than that I did. ~shrug~


A true and nobel belief which I commend you for.

Too many here seek facts and research, forgetting that flight and whimsy are what drives this place.

Belazamon 11-06-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Too many here seek facts and research, forgetting that flight and whimsy are what drives this place.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...usBusiness.png

Matoyak 11-06-2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belazamon

Damn, you beat me to my own joke. :(

bowlwoman 11-06-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
It says why right then, IIRC - it depicts a person whose wrists are bound to the ankles, a torture position.

Here's an interesting thought. Are all *'angreals more or less neutral and merely a conduit for increasing/using the OP, i.e. it's the intent of the person wielding it that makes the actions good or bad, or could they possibly be attuned to good actions vs evil actions?

We know *'angreal were made during the War of Power (see Choeden Kal), so could some of them have been made by the forces of the Shadow and created specifically for nefarious purposes?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.