Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 12: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another Gauntlet Thrown Down by Brandon (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2514)

Terez 11-06-2009 03:33 AM

I'm sure the person that made Moiraine's angreal was probably not a nice person, but I don't think it affects the way the angreal works. At least, I don't see any reason to think that it does.

jason wolfbrother 11-06-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
No prob, we've got all this amassed WoT knowledge and we'd likely go crazy if not for noobs with questions.

Welcome to Theoryland, btw. ;)

ummm actually I think you meant crazier ;):cool: :D

Terez 11-06-2009 09:51 PM

Good point!

Crispin's Crispian 11-07-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FelixPax
There are hints about the Borderlanders being used for the purposes of the Shadow, in 'The Shadow Rising' book Chapter "Questioners", in particular Joiya's confession to Nynaeve and Egwene. Look at the last two pages of that Chapter in tSR.

If we hadn't already discussed the heck out of the "confessions," I'd say it's a good place to look. But we've been debating them for years.

Quote:

What I don't really understand is if Verin unloaded everything about the Black Ajah, their plans, factions et la...why didn't we learn more about their plans in tGS from Egwene's pov??? Story pacing reasons??
I think that's it. The Tower was attacked right after Verin died, so there wasn't a lot of time to talk about the plans. Egwene just wanted to oust the Black Ajah first.

On a completely separate note, I was looking through the E:WoT and found something I'd never noticed before. The notes for LoC point out that both Demira Eriff (in Caemlyn) and Nesune Bihara (in Cairhien) want to do research on the Seals in the respective Royal Libraries. Both are from the Brown Ajah, but are from different Towers (Nesune is from the White Tower and Demira from Salidar).

I don't do well at following the movements of non-main Aes Sedai. Is this something we've discussed before?

Terez 11-07-2009 01:02 AM

I can recall discussing it before.

aynatal2000 11-08-2009 07:25 PM

When Nynaev and Elayne found all that sa angreal and ter angreal there was something that depicted a hand... and something that seemed to suggest song or music to Elayne(?).Nothing has ever been made of these findings/discoveries.It is only a sentence or two and forgive me I can't remember what book... but I am sure that many of you can quote chapter and verse.I think this is what he is talking about.The item that suggests song I thought might be the key that would be needed to get the song to all the Tinker descendants instantly- or to open their memory. All of this is with Elayne now in Andor.Another thing,does anyone think that the circle that Rand will have to be a part of to wield Callandor and the sword Justice will be Elayne,Aviendha and Moraine.
Lastly,Shara; what gives?

Weird Harold 11-08-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aynatal2000
When Nynaev and Elayne found all that sa angreal and ter angreal there was something that depicted a hand... and something that seemed to suggest song or music to Elayne(?).Nothing has ever been made of these findings/discoveries.It is only a sentence or two and forgive me I can't remember what book... but I am sure that many of you can quote chapter and verse.I think this is what he is talking about.The item that suggests song I thought might be the key that would be needed to get the song to all the Tinker descendants instantly- or to open their memory. All of this is with Elayne now in Andor.Another thing,does anyone think that the circle that Rand will have to be a part of to wield Callandor and the sword Justice will be Elayne,Aviendha and Moraine.

The Ebou Dar ter'angreal stash wasn't revealed until book 8 and most of them weren't identified until Aviendha discovered her Talent for identifying ter'angreal in KoD.

Also, the Stash and the various ter'angreal have been discussed whenever things get boring aoround here as a way of avoiding Asmodean and real/construct brawls.

Belazamon 11-08-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weird Harold
Also, the Stash and the various ter'angreal have been discussed whenever things get boring aoround here as a way of avoiding Asmodean and real/construct brawls.

Wait, you guys actually started avoiding Asmo and Construct brawls?

Maybe that's why you all got so cranky while I was away.

ShadowbaneX 11-08-2009 10:28 PM

Well, only two women are needed in the circle, actually, I think it needs to be two women because any more then that and the man needs to lead, so not likely to be all three.

As for the identities of those two, Moiraine, if she's actually able to channel might well be one (sorry Frenzy, it's just too likely to happen), Nynaeve could be another. Elayne is pregnant and so she's not likely to be able to channel. Aviendha is about to be a full Wise One and at that point I espect Elayne and her to lay a wreathe and Rand's feet and she's also likely soon to be having kids as per Min's vision...also, it's not like Rand can really hide from them with the Bond.

Alivia is another possibility, since she's supposed to help him die. There are quite a few possibilities.

As for Shara, well, what about it? We're not likely to see it if that's what you're asking about.

nameless 11-09-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aynatal2000

Item that suggests song? Do you mean the AOL music box or the thing that made Aviendha think of holes and is probably activated by singing? Cause I'm pretty sure that second one is used to grow new Waygates, or maybe even new stedding. As for the music box, it might have the seedsongs but structurally it makes more sense that the Tinkers would have to learn those from the Aiel. Otherwise the whole Tinker/Aiel/Lost Ones fued will never be resolved.

Terez 11-09-2009 03:35 AM

The Aiel don't know them, though. Unless you count Rand. He is half-Aiel, and he almost assuredly remembers the seedsongs now that his memories are integrated.

nameless 11-09-2009 03:40 AM

He heard seed songs through his ancestor's POV in the glass columns. Presumably he's not the only one, although you're right that there's no guarentee any of the other Clan Chiefs or Wise Ones have enough of an ear for music to reproduce them.

Also, back in the prologue to tEoTW, Lews Therin asks Ishamael if he has the Voice. That seems to indicate that just knowing the songs isn't enough to make them work, just like an Ogier without the Treesinging ability will never get a response even if he hits every note perfectly.

Terez 11-09-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nameless
He heard seed songs through his ancestor's POV in the glass columns. Presumably he's not the only one, although you're right that there's no guarentee any of the other Clan Chiefs or Wise Ones have enough of an ear for music to reproduce them.

Or even that the whole song was heard. Some might not have heard seed singing at all, as everyone's ancestors are different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nameless
Also, back in the prologue to tEoTW, Lews Therin asks Ishamael if he has the Voice. That seems to indicate that just knowing the songs isn't enough to make them work, just like an Ogier without the Treesinging ability will never get a response even if he hits every note perfectly.

It seems to be an inborn Aiel ability. I wonder how it came about that Aiel men won't sing, except for battle dirges.

One thing that seems to be forgotten is that the prophecies say Rand will give the Aiel back their places of old. Servants of the Servants again, or seed singing? Of course, if it's seed singing, then they would have to make some more Nym for that to work.

Davian93 11-09-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weird Harold
The Ebou Dar ter'angreal stash wasn't revealed until book 8 and most of them weren't identified until Aviendha discovered her Talent for identifying ter'angreal in KoD.

Wasn't it amazing helpful that Avi discovered that talent at that exact moment? What are the odds of her being able to determine a ter'angreal's use just by touching it right at the same time that Elayne and Nynaeve unearthed a large amount of ter'angreal. The Pattern is amazing sometimes.

GonzoTheGreat 11-09-2009 10:55 AM

Well, I am not sure how many other ter'angreal she'd touched so far.

Bonzi77 11-09-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93
Wasn't it amazing helpful that Avi discovered that talent at that exact moment? What are the odds of her being able to determine a ter'angreal's use just by touching it right at the same time that Elayne and Nynaeve unearthed a large amount of ter'angreal. The Pattern is amazing sometimes.

How many ter'angreal do you think she encountered before that moment? I'm having a hard time thinking of where she would have previously seen one thats use was not already known before finding that stash. She needs ter'angreal to read before the talent can be exposed.

It's sort of like how Nicola realized that she could read ta'veren on the moment Mat came into camp. Before that point there were no ta'veren for her to see.

Davian93 11-09-2009 11:41 AM

I just think its a lucky coincidence that the one AS who was capable of making ter'angreal just happens to be best friends with the only known channeler who can simply pick up a ter'angreal and know what its purpose is.

WinespringBrother 11-09-2009 12:02 PM

That would be funny if Alivia could do so also. It seems that either Semirhage could, or one of the damane in Ebou Dar, to duplicate the Domination Band.

ShadowbaneX 11-09-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93
I just think its a lucky coincidence that the one AS who was capable of making ter'angreal just happens to be best friends with the only known channeler who can simply pick up a ter'angreal and know what its purpose is.

There is no coincidence, there is only the Wheel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinespringBrother
That would be funny if Alivia could do so also. It seems that either Semirhage could, or one of the damane in Ebou Dar, to duplicate the Domination Band.

Well, if you're launching an invasion with little expectation of resupply you'd probably bring along craftspeople to repair and replace equipment.

WinespringBrother 11-09-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX
There is no coincidence, there is only the Wheel.

Well, if you're launching an invasion with little expectation of resupply you'd probably bring along craftspeople to repair and replace equipment.

Well it implies that damane can duplicate other ter'angreal than the a'dam, if one of them duplicated the DB. So they aren't limited then (except maybe by no access to other ter'angreal).