Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 12: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another Gauntlet Thrown Down by Brandon (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2514)

Crispin's Crispian 11-09-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
I can recall discussing it before.

Of course you can. Thanks for your help.

GonzoTheGreat 11-09-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93
I just think its a lucky coincidence that the one AS who was capable of making ter'angreal just happens to be best friends with the only known channeler who can simply pick up a ter'angreal and know what its purpose is.

Well, you know Mat is quite a lucky guy. Lucky enough, actually, not to get saddled with either of those two, since they both latched on to his ta'veren friend.

ShadowbaneX 11-09-2009 11:57 AM

something that just occurred to me, or perhaps remembered, does it state in tGH when the sul'dam is explaining about damane to Egwene that if it's found that if she can make a'dam she'll be shipped back to Seandar?

I cannot seem to find the right works to bring it up in the search. I can find one reference, but I think the shipping is the paragraph after the one I can find.

Birgitte 11-09-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
Well, you know Mat is quite a lucky guy. Lucky enough, actually, not to get saddled with either of those two, since they both latched on to his ta'veren friend.

I'm pretty sure he thanks the Light for that every day. I know I would. ;)

Davian93 11-09-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX
something that just occurred to me, or perhaps remembered, does it state in tGH when the sul'dam is explaining about damane to Egwene that if it's found that if she can make a'dam she'll be shipped back to Seandar?

I cannot seem to find the right works to bring it up in the search. I can find one reference, but I think the shipping is the paragraph after the one I can find.

I thought they were referring to her abilities with Earth and Fire and finding mines. Making a'dam was brought up as a more valuable Talent than that known ability of Egwene's.

Somewhere around this quote:

Quote:

TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 42 - Falme
"You still do not know what this is like." Egwene tugged at the collar; pulling did no more good than channeling had. "When Renna is wearing that bracelet, she knows what I am doing with the Power, and what I am not. Sometimes she even seems to know when she isn't wearing it; she says sul'dam develop - an affinity, she calls it - after a while." She sighed. "No one even thought to test me on this earlier. Earth is one of the Five Powers that was strongest in men. When I picked out those rocks, she took me outside the town, and I was able to point right to an abandoned iron mine. It was all overgrown, and there wasn't any opening to be seen at all, but once I knew how, I could feel the iron ore still in the ground. There hasn't been enough to make it worth working in a hundred years, but I knew it was there. I couldn't lie to her, Min. She knew I had sensed the mine as soon as I did. She was so excited, she promised me a pudding with my supper." She felt her cheeks growing hot, in anger and embarrassment. "Apparently," she said bitterly, "I am now too valuable to be wasted making things explode. Any damane can do that; only a handful can find ores in the ground. Light, I hate making things explode, but I wish that was all I could do."
and this one

Quote:

"Stop it!" Min snapped. "You stop it right this instant! If you get shipped off to Seanchan, I'll be right there with you. But I don't think you will. You know I've read you, Egwene. I don't understand most of it - I almost never do - but I see things I am sure link you to Rand, and Perrin, and Mat, and - yes, even Galad, the Light help you for a fool. How can any of that happen if the Seanchan take you off across the ocean?"

Terez 11-09-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
Of course you can. Thanks for your help.

Any time.

Kurtz 11-09-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birgitte
I'm pretty sure he thanks the Light for that every day. I know I would. ;)

Turning down two voluptuous sirens, for a bald, short, shapeless madwoman? Not sure that would have been Mat's greatest achievement.

Davian93 11-09-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Turning down two voluptuous sirens, for a bald, short, shapeless madwoman? Not sure that would have been Mat's greatest achievement.

Mat and Elayne would have made a great couple...ashame Rand got in the way.

Back to SBX's search, I think I'm getting closer:

Quote:

TITLE: Great Hunt
Renna took the chair, frowning at Egwene. "I must punish you severely for this. We will both be called to the Court of the Nine Moons - you for what you can do; I as your sul'dam and trainer - and I will not allow you to disgrace me in the eyes of the Empress. I will stop when you tell me how much you love being damane and how obedient you will be after this. And, Tuli. Make me believe every word."

GonzoTheGreat 11-09-2009 12:35 PM

You were looking way too far. And the chapter had a fairly suggestive title to boot:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TGH, Chapter 40, A'dam
Egwene knew incredulity must be painting her face, because Renna laughed openly. "When Luthair Paendrag Mondwin, son of the Hawkwing, first faced the Armies of the Night, he found many among them who called themselves Aes Sedai. They contended for power among themselves and used the One Power on the field of battle. One such, a woman named Deain, who thought she could do better serving the Emperor – he was not Emperor then, of course – since he had no Aes Sedai in his armies, came to him with a device she had made, the first a'dam, fastened to the neck of one of her sisters. Though that woman did not want to serve Luthair, the a'dam required her to serve. Deain made more a'dam, the first sul'dam were found, and women captured who called themselves Aes Sedai discovered that they were in fact only marath'damane, Those Who Must Be Leashed. It is said that when she herself was leashed, Deain's screams shook the Towers of Midnight, but of course she, too, was a marath'damane, and marath'damane cannot be allowed to run free. Perhaps you will be one of those who has the ability to make a'dam. If so, you will be pampered, you may rest assured."

Davian93 11-09-2009 12:37 PM

Yeah, I just found the same quote after searching for "a'dam".

Bonzi77 11-09-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

I just think its a lucky coincidence that the one AS who was capable of making ter'angreal just happens to be best friends with the only known channeler who can simply pick up a ter'angreal and know what its purpose is.

Could be a coincidence, or it could be something in their personalities that drew them to each other. I wouldn't assume that Elayne is the only AS who can make ter'angreal, just that she's the only one who it would have occurred to to try. Aes Sedai tend not to be "think outside the box" type of women. Once it became accepted that the making of ter'angreal was lost, very few of them would have worked at it. It's the same reason Nynaeve was the only one who thought to try and heal stilling and why no one was trying to rediscover Traveling before Rand got Egwene's creativity flowing.

So Elayne's curiosity which led to that discovery is a quality that would have endeared her to Aviendha more than an Aes Sedai who was more traditional.

ShadowbaneX 11-09-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
You were looking way too far. And the chapter had a fairly suggestive title to boot:

that was the quote I originally found Gonzo. I was thinking that perhaps there was something in the paragraph that followed that one that states that if she can make a'dam she'll be taking to Seandar. I think it also mentioned something about her getting sweets for it and possibly getting fat because of it, ie a life of leisure, even if it is on a leash...either that or I've lost my mind, so yeah.

Devlin1969 11-13-2009 01:30 PM

Small Detail

So has anyone else thought about the bonding by Alanna.

The first time Alanna brings up bonding the "3 boys" is in book 4, when she is in the two rivers with Verin. (Faile figured it out and threatened to kill her if she bonded Perrin)
And then in book 6, she bonds Rand!

Kurtz 11-13-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devlin1969
So has anyone else thought about the bonding by Alanna.

The first time Alanna brings up bonding the "3 boys" is in book 4, when she is in the two rivers with Verin. (Faile figured it out and threatened to kill her if she bonded Perrin)
And then in book 6, she bonds Rand!

That's a very good shout, since it's a pretty big occurrence purely to identify Rand's strength of character/inability to be forced, and nothing has come of it since. It has more or less been sidelined. Alanna certainly has a part to play, I thought she would die though and affect him that way (she still may)

Spasmodean 11-13-2009 01:41 PM

Perhaps something from the school in Caihienin?
Like the Steam Engine guy. He showed up later on in the series as well and his contraptions were becoming more coherent weren't they?

Davian93 11-13-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtz
That's a very good shout, since it's a pretty big occurrence purely to identify Rand's strength of character/inability to be forced, and nothing has come of it since. It has more or less been sidelined. Alanna certainly has a part to play, I thought she would die though and affect him that way (she still may)

It did kinda help save his life a couple times when they've used that bond to find Rand. I'd say its been pretty significant.

Kurtz 11-13-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

It did kinda help save his life a couple times when they've used that bond to find Rand. I'd say its been pretty significant.

For what it is, I think that's rather slight.

Terez 11-13-2009 02:17 PM

Another possibility is this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - Lord of Chaos
CHAPTER: 15 - A Pile of Sand

"So the Aes Sedai’s golden children have decided to take a rest, have they?" Faolain’s smile was as far from friendly as it was possible for a smile to be. "I am not here for the joy of it, you know. I meant to spend today working on something of my own, something not terribly inferior to what you golden children have done, I think. Instead, I must watch Accepted scrub pots for their sins. Watch so you don’t sneak off like the wretched novices the pair of you should be. Now back to work. I can’t leave until you’re done, and I do not intend to spend the whole day here."

Which goes along with this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - The Fires of Heaven
CHAPTER: 50 - To Teach, and Learn

"A nasty woman," Min murmured, squinting after Faolain as she hurried the other across the common room. "You'd think, if there was any justice, she would have an unpleasant future ahead of her."

We have discussed that some, but not much, cause there's not a lot to go on. Also, it's not really a minor detail comparable to the Mistborn example, and it hasn't exactly been present for 'books and books'.

ZaderGru 11-13-2009 02:55 PM

Seems you also found The Towers Of Midnight

Quote:

Deain's screams shook the Towers of Midnight, but of course she, too, was a marath'damane, and marath'damane cannot be allowed to run free
Helps when looking, to look for the wrong thing

Terez 11-13-2009 02:59 PM

Wat?