Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 12: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another Gauntlet Thrown Down by Brandon (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2514)

Davian93 11-17-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
Davian's tenure has nothing to do with why he's right.

No offense, Dav. ;)

None taken.:)

Though I'm too lazy to dig up the interview quotes to back up my declaration. Its 100% though.

Trutino 11-17-2009 02:01 PM

I still like the idea of Mat's hat. I pulled what I think of as the more interesting quotes relating to it from 4-6, in order of appearance. (Most of the time his hat is mentioned, it has to do with him pulling it down, giving him shade, or its failure to keep him cool.) I am not sure what it might mean or how it will work out but the fact that the hat features prominently in Egwene's dream about the Moiraine's rescue is interesting.

Quote:

Mat, standing where a road forked ahead of him. He flipped a coin, started down one branch, and suddenly was wearing a wide-brimmed hat and walking with a staff bearing a short sword blade.
Perrin's wolf dream in chapter called "To the Tower of Ghenji" (probably coincidence...), tSR, 321

Quote:

She bit the Tairen mark he handed her before releasing the hat. For a wonder, it fit. And if it was no cooler under that wide brim, at least it was blessedly shady.
Mat buys Kadere's hat from Keille/Lanfear after they leave Rhuidean, tSR 412

Quote:

Another dream. Mat throwing dice with blood streaming down his face, the wide brim of his hat pulled low so she could not see his wound, while Thom Merrilin put his hand into a fire to draw out the small blue stone that now dangled on Moiraine's forehead.
Egwene's dream, tFoH, 214

Quote:

Some said the hat had been given him by Aes Sedai, and as long as he wore it nothing could kill him."
A rumor about why he wears the hat instead of armor. Mat then says he thinks it's an ordinary hat. LoC, 116

Quote:

A good many Aiel had heard of Rand al'Thor's friend, he who wore the hat and whom it was better not to gamble against.
LoC, 339

Spasmodean 11-17-2009 02:06 PM

Rand has the dragon tattoos and his Aiel looks.

Perrin has his yellow eyes and beard.

Mat needed something to pick him out physically in the narrative I guess.

Terez 11-17-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trutino
I still like the idea of Mat's hat.

Thank you. I mostly brought it up to be funny, but it's been on my brain ever since the gauntlet was thrown, so I had to get it off my chest, lol. And nice quote collection - do you use Ideal Seek for that?

ShadowbaneX 11-17-2009 03:14 PM

one of the books someone wonders why Mat wears no armour going into combat and suggests that his hat might be enchanted by Aes Sedai or something...or perhaps I'm just making stuff up again. Who knows?

Crispin's Crispian 11-17-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Further clarification - Mat was dicing with Ba'alzamon in a different one. In this one, he's just dicing, with the hat and the blood and all. The dream was in book 5. :)

Maybe Lanfear put a weave on his hat that prevents the 'Finns from looking in his head and knowing he's coming! :D He didn't get the hat till after Rhuidean...

Are you starting a faction or what? There would be no shame at being a factioneer if this gets debunked.

But it won't, so we're safe.

Terez 11-17-2009 03:23 PM

lol, okay I'll start one. Just because.

Trutino 11-17-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Thank you. I mostly brought it up to be funny, but it's been on my brain ever since the gauntlet was thrown, so I had to get it off my chest, lol. And nice quote collection - do you use Ideal Seek for that?

Thanks! (Especially coming from a Quotemaster! :) ) I actually used Google Books. They have them all except 9, 11, 12. They also have BWB and New Spring. (The page numbers don't correspond to my paperbacks so they may have the hardcovers up. I might just cite the chapter next time.)

I had figured that the "thing" would be something someone always had on or carried with them and when I saw the "Mat's hat" idea, it seemed like a possibility, especially with the ashandarei out of the running.

Perrin's dream where Mat flips a coin, goes down a road, and the hat and ashandarei appear is interesting. It seems to give the hat equal importance with one his Aelfinn items. At that point, we had just found out that he had received the ashandarei but we didn't know he would be getting a hat a few chapters later. I wonder if the first-time reader is supposed to say, "Ok, I know where he got the spear, and that was important. That part of the vision has been fulfilled. Getting the hat must be important, too. I wonder when that will happen..."

Also, the fact that "for a wonder, it fit." Lanfear also took the time to bite the coin before she "released" the hat to him. I honestly have no idea what role the hat would play but it is associated with Finnland in both of the dreams it features prominently in.

Terez 11-17-2009 03:46 PM

Factions are still broken. Here's the proposed creed tho:

Quote:

Originally Posted by creed
We believe that the minor detail mentioned by Brandon (comparable to a certain spoilery detail from Mistborn) that was introduced in books 4-6, that will 'save the day' in Towers of Midnight, is Mat's hat. Brandon almost said that the 'detail' had been present in every book since, but then he apparently remembered that Mat was not in The Path of Daggers at all, so he corrected himself, saying 'books and books'. Mat got the hat in book 4, taken from the head of a Darkfriend and sold to him for a gold crown by Lanfear. In book 5, Egwene had a dream of Mat throwing dice with his hat pulled low and blood streaming down his face, while Thom pulled a blue stone out of a fire (clear reference to the Ghenjei rescue due in Towers of Midnight). In book 6, it was suggested that, so long as Mat wore the hat, nothing could kill him. Further speculation is that the hat might be protecting Mat's head, preventing the 'Finns from knowing he is coming. Also, it is a good bloody hat.

It's a long creed, but there's no limit, so why not? lol...

Belazamon 11-17-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

It's a long creed, but there's no limit, so why not? lol...

Do you really need that long of an explanation in the creed itself, though? Might be easier/less intimidating to start a thread explaining the rationale and just keep a link to it handy. :)

Terez 11-17-2009 03:59 PM

Intimidating? Nah. lol...I doubt anyone will be scared away by the long creed. ;)

SauceyBlueConfetti 11-17-2009 04:19 PM

I like to think Terez means:

This is the HardCoreFanFreak home and if a detailed faction scares ya away, we don't want ya anyways!!!

and I picture her fingers wiggling from her ears and her tongue out.

That said, I don't think it is too long. Although I probably would've gone with somthing like:

We believe Mat's hat is Shady. Interpret as you see fit.

Mat is Better 11-17-2009 08:32 PM

It really is a good bloody hat. :D

Toss the dice 11-17-2009 09:43 PM

As far as I know, no one else out of the semi-main or main characters wears a hat do they? I realize many soldiers wear helmets, stuff like that, but that's different. Mat wears his hat everywhere he goes, like the baseball cap of the WoT.

I've never given his hat much thought as to it's shady-ness or powers, etc. It is just a damn good hat and is something that is unique to him, and he is instantly recognizable with it on to people who know him and many who have just heard of him. The fact that he got it from a darkfriend is simply a little fun part to the story, and one that the readers know about, but not Mat himself.

Also, to me, his hat and ashandarei represent the time when Mat "stepped up" and his life started changing, things got deeper, etc (obviously things really changed when he left the Two Rivers, but besides that) All three of the ta'veren have their marks and uniqueness about them, one of Mat's happens to be his cool hat that everyone knows about.

Matoyak 11-17-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Factions are still broken. Here's the proposed creed tho:

I emailed Tam about that last night. No response so far.

ShadowLord 11-17-2009 10:12 PM

I think it is going to be Shara. After all, we still don't know where Denandred has his army. My bet is there.

Terez 11-17-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
I emailed Tam about that last night. No response so far.

I talked to him about it at the time I tried to submit it. He has to get Jason to look into it.

Ozymandias 11-17-2009 10:41 PM

Guys, the minor detail is obviously the fact that Rand controls the supply of gold dragons and silver swords given to Dedicated and Asha'man! Even the DF Asha'man will be unable to resist the shiny sparklies and will immediately betray Taim in order to get an even COOLER pin to put on their collar. It fits in perfectly with the greed motivation of most DFs.

Terez 11-17-2009 10:44 PM

You fail at trying to be cooler than Mat's hat.

Wunderwaffe 11-18-2009 03:23 AM

Really dig the idea of Mat's hat. Good work, gumshoes.