Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 12: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another Gauntlet Thrown Down by Brandon (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2514)

Tamyrlin 11-01-2009 12:04 AM

Farstrider

We know he will come into play in a bigger way in Towers of Midnight...would the Graendal count as a small detail?

Davian93 11-01-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX
yes, but unless BS is actually a member of TL, he might not have seen any of our threads about it.

I think he might very well have lurked pretty heavily on our site for several months reading stuff...probably on the main board though. We should go through our Main Board theories to eliminate possibilities while we just start listing possible little things from Books 4-6.

Tercel 11-01-2009 12:11 AM

Slayer comes to mind as a character with a potentially massive role to play who hasn't had much action since books 4-6. Would be interesting to go back and see every detail those books said about him.

Apart from that, let us consider the obvious plotlines of ToM:
1) Perrin and Matt's plotlines are way behind timewise so ToM will be mainly about them.
2) Rand and Egwene's plotlines have gotten way ahead time-wise so we probably won't see them at all.
3) Something is also happening at the Black Tower as alluded to by the complete lack of contact from the sisters that had gone there.

So obvious plot devices:
Matt: Creating 'dragons', Verin's instructions for Matt, Tower of Ghenji, the rescue of Moiraine, Thom's rescue of Moraine, Thom marrying Moiraine, the hidden cipher message in Moraine's letter to Thom playing a crucial role, the possible presence of Slayer within the Tower of Ghenji (as alluded to in books 4-6 by Perrin chasing Slayer to Ghenji and then him disappearing, possibly inside).

Perrin: Meeting Galad and the Whitecloaks, Galad and Morgase meeting, Perrin learning of who Morgase is, Berelain and Galad in love, ... ? What is Perrin's next likely action??

Black Tower: The splitting war between the now-Choosen Taim and his men versus those loyal to Rand and the Aes Sedai bonded to them. Logain's rise to glory and power.

A random thought:
There was reported to be war in Shara much earlier in the series... perhaps we will see the results as Sharan armies march to support Rand... seems unlikely as Rand's plotline shouldn't have much time in ToM.

Also, all the carts of ter'angreal from Rhuidean that Moiraine was taking to the tower are still somewhere presumably.
Similar the Horn of Valere will need retrieving at some point.
Also, Padan Fain is probably doing something somewhere.

So, off the top of my head, the only thing that's really fitting BS's comments is Slayer and book 4-6's indication of his likely presence within the Tower of Ghenji. ...or something about Fain... or the Tinkers and their Song.

Davian93 11-01-2009 12:13 AM

Quote:

A random thought:
There was reported to be war in Shara much earlier in the series... perhaps we will see the results as Sharan armies march to support Rand... seems unlikely as Rand's plotline shouldn't have much time in ToM.

Honestly, I like that one...its completely off the wall and its something we've never really talked about. Shara fell into civil war when news of Rand hit them.

Weird Harold 11-01-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93
I think he might very well have lurked pretty heavily on our site for several months reading stuff...probably on the main board though. We should go through our Main Board theories to eliminate possibilities while we just start listing possible little things from Books 4-6.

as cited at eWot:

LoC,Ch22 - Near the River Erinin, Chel Vanin and Mat find a burned Tinker camp with the people slaughtered. There is a message on a wagon, "Tell the Dragon Reborn."

This is the one mystery I can think of that doesn't get discussed much and what discussion there is devolves into "there's just not enough information."

Davian93 11-01-2009 12:18 AM

Yeah, that's another good one, WH. We've never really talked about it. It MUST mean somthing...only we have no idea what. Maybe it IS Tinker related.

Isabel 11-01-2009 12:20 AM

Do we want to know that? I mean it was a shock when Verin turned out to be Black Ajah WITH gathering a list of all the black ajah.
If we had known that in advance, than we wouldn't have been that shocked?

Davian93 11-01-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabel
Do we want to know that? I mean it was a shock when Verin turned out to be Black Ajah WITH gathering a list of all the black ajah.
If we had known that in advance, than we wouldn't have been that shocked?

Isabel, Meet Theoryland.

Theoryland, Meet Isabel.

Tamyrlin 11-01-2009 12:26 AM

Shocker though? What about Moiraine's letter to Rand or Thom

It seems like it would have to have something to do with main plots to be a shocker. Verin's 70 year plan was pretty damn shocking.

I like what Tercel marked out, the main plotlines, and then identifying small details as they pertain to those plotlines, like Moiraine's letter to Thom, or something she wrote to Rand...what small detail could there be in it that might be a clue to something bigger? Or, is it a recurring small detail, book after book, that we are ignoring?

Tamyrlin 11-01-2009 12:30 AM

Nice

Tinkers. Lots to think about there.

Tamyrlin 11-01-2009 12:31 AM

Any chance

The Gholam was involved in the slaughter?

ShadowbaneX 11-01-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Honestly, I like that one...its completely off the wall and its something we've never really talked about. Shara fell into civil war when news of Rand hit them.

there's also the prologue in which Demandred mentions that he's got an army that will be marching to war soon (or something similar). If he has managed to get a hold of them and is marching them to war against the forces o' t3h light...

something else of note is that as Perrin chased Slayer to the Tower, Birgitte was there and talked with Perrin...so, we've got Perrin meeting up with Galad who recognizes Morgase. Perrin takes Morgaze back to Caemlyn and meets up with Mat. Also while there they meet Elayne and Birgitte. Perrin & Mat both know her Birgitte and it might well come up a few things about the Tower. It doesn't seem quite right, but could this manage to get Birgitte included in the trip to rescue Moiraine? And while there could Birgitte make a few wishes or ask some questions, especially re: Gaidal?

Isabel 11-01-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Isabel, Meet Theoryland.

Theoryland, Meet Isabel.

Davian: This is a small change in what RJ normally said and did. There is a big chance if RJ would have written it, that he wouldn't have said that.
Which means we might guess part of the ending, because Brandon gave us a clue, RJ wouldn't have done.

ShadowbaneX 11-01-2009 12:34 AM

Dammit Dave, I need to give rep to someone else first.

Weird Harold 11-01-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
The Gholam was involved in the slaughter?

I don't think so. I don't think the Gholam had been intriduced yet, but the destruction seemed more Whitecloak or Trolloc in style.

Tamyrlin 11-01-2009 12:38 AM

Isa

Don't worry about parsing who would or wouldn't have given us the information, and just have fun with it! :)

Isabel 11-01-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
Don't worry about parsing who would or wouldn't have given us the information, and just have fun with it! :)

Well, i am getting a little bit worried, that we will read the ending and think: i knew it.....
And therefor lessening the experience.
I wouldn't have minded discussing thinigs normally about the ending, if it's in the book. But this is purely based on something that Brandon said. Just worries me ;) I would like to read the ending and also be a bit surprised. So far Jordan had been so wonderfull in hiding stuff in plain sight :)

Davian93 11-01-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabel
Davian: This is a small change in what RJ normally said and did. There is a big chance if RJ would have written it, that he wouldn't have said that.
Which means we might guess part of the ending, because Brandon gave us a clue, RJ wouldn't have done.

I'm just teasing.

Yeah, I agree. RJ never ever would have done this. BS is much more interactive with his fans than RJ was...generational difference I think.

I wonder what it could be. THere is some good tinker stuff in those 3 books that we never talk about. For example:

Perrin meets Tinkers again in Two Rivers
Tinker caravan gets butchered with no explanation.

On the Gholam/Tinker issue: IIRC, The tinkers were butchered in LoC while Sammael didn't find the gholam in the stasis box till early CoS.

Tamyrlin 11-01-2009 12:45 AM

Hmm - Demandred

Could go back to this whole moment?

DEMANDRED. HOW FARES THIS WORLD? He was never sure how much the Great Lord knew of the world. He had been as startled by ignorance as by knowledge. But he had no doubt what the Great Lord wanted to hear.

THE CHOSEN DWINDLE, DEMANDRED. THE WEAK FALL AWAY. WHO BETRAYS ME SHALL DIE THE FINAL DEATH. ASMODEAN, TWISTED BY HIS WEAKNESS. RAHVIN DEAD IN HIS PRIDE. HE SERVED WELL, YET EVEN I CANNOT SAVE HIM FROM BALEFIRE. EVEN I CANNOT STEP OUTSIDE OF TIME. For an instant terrible anger filled that awful voice, and—could it be frustration? An instant only. DONE BY MY ANCIENT ENEMY, THE ONE CALLED DRAGON. WOULD YOU UNLEASH THE BALEFIRE IN MY SERVICE, DEMANDRED?

Demandred hesitated. A bead of sweat slid half an inch on his cheek; it seemed to take an hour. For a year during the War of Power, both sides had used balefire. Until they learned the consequences. Without agreement, or truce—there had never been a truce any more than there had been quarter—each side simply stopped. Entire cities died in balefire that year, hundreds of thousands of threads burned from the Pattern; reality itself almost unraveled, world and universe evaporating like mist. If balefire was unleashed once more, there might be no world to rule.

WOULD YOU BE NAE'BLIS? Demandred's tongue froze. Nae'blis. The one who would stand only a step below the Great Lord, commanding all others. "I wish only to serve you, Great Lord, however I may." Nae'blis.

THEN LISTEN, AND SERVE. HEAR WHO WILL DIE AND WHO LIVE. Demandred screamed as the voice crashed home. Tears of joy rolled down his face. Unmoving, the Myrddraal watched him.

Davian93 11-01-2009 12:47 AM

Maybe Demandred is really Naeblis and Moridin is just the frontman for the Shadow. Demandred could just be biding his time till the DO tells him to take over.

He's clearly been doing something major off-screen for 7 books now and we have no idea what.