Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 12: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another Gauntlet Thrown Down by Brandon (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2514)

GonzoTheGreat 12-12-2009 04:07 PM

It is never explicitly said.

Daekyras 12-12-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 80620)
It is never explicitly said.

The basis of all good debates..

nameless 12-12-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 80620)
It is never explicitly said.

Sure it is, in LoC.
Sulin, to Berelain, from 'The Feast of Lights'

"Speak of me again as though I am not here, and I will give you what I hear Rhuarc gave you in the Stone of Tear, and should have since."

Terez 12-12-2009 05:00 PM

RJ isn't one of those authors that feels the need to explain every little thing. Like, why Elayne had so much more trouble with the Taraboner veil than Nynaeve and the others did. It's never explicitly said why, but it's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer...

Daekyras 12-12-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 80624)
it's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer...

Which is why we all know who killed Asmodean, right?

GonzoTheGreat 12-12-2009 05:15 PM

Elayne's Taraboner veil?
How did Asmodean recognise that?

jason wolfbrother 12-12-2009 07:51 PM

He was the casual observer it was intuitively obvious too ;)

Daekyras 12-12-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason wolfbrother (Post 80629)
He was the casual observer it was intuitively obvious too ;)

Thanks Jason. you get what i meant! Or at least i hope your tongue is as far in your cheek as mine is.

Anyway, I was trying to get over the fact that this small thing that BS mentioned in book 4-6 is something that appears to be overlooked and not really discussed. Therefor things that have been taken for granted are still elligible to be looked at again.

Or hey we could just all agree that it's Mat's "Bloody Good" Hat...:D

Daekyras 12-12-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nameless (Post 80623)
Sure it is, in LoC.
Sulin, to Berelain, from 'The Feast of Lights'

"Speak of me again as though I am not here, and I will give you what I hear Rhuarc gave you in the Stone of Tear, and should have since."

This does not mention a spanking...

Terez 12-12-2009 08:57 PM

Well, what do you think he did?

Daekyras 12-12-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 80634)
Well, what do you think he did?

I'm not sure. But that's the point.

We can't just assume he spanked her because it's easy. How about this:

1. Berelain is a Dark friend.
2. Rhuarc is a dark friend.
3. Berelain got shirty with Rhuarc.
4. He asserted his higher status over her in some way.

Yes, that's crap but it COULD have happened....

i edited this by the way

Terez 12-12-2009 11:48 PM

If we entertained every notion with a shred of possibility we'd never discuss anything interesting.

Daekyras 12-13-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 80642)
If we entertained every notion with a shred of possibility we'd never discuss anything interesting.

I thought the idea of a forum was to debate? Not just disregard any ideas you don't agree with.

If facts are involved to disprove something then all well and good, in fact i welcome being corrected and i'm sure most other users feel the same. But to completely try and destroy anothers idea because it's not yours and to back it up with ambiguous quotes(at best)is the worst kind of arrogance.

That is not meant as an attack on Terez whom i have read many posts from on these boards and whose opinion and knowledge of the books i greatly respect :)

Terez 12-13-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekyras (Post 80644)
I thought the idea of a forum was to debate?

Sure, but you can't debate something if there's not any real evidence involved. Ambiguous quotes are better than no quotes. Also, there's no real mystery here, so why create one?

Also, I'm undeniably arrogant, but I think there are definitely worse kinds of arrogance than mine. ;)

Daekyras 12-13-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 80645)
Sure, but you can't debate something if there's not any real evidence involved.

But a corollary of that is that you CANNOT disprove something without evidence.

For the record Terez, I have never found you arrogant. You have always seemed very fair. I believe you know far, far, far (yes, three fars!) more about these books than I do. And as i said in my previous post, it was not directed at you.

As for my "theory" on Rhuarc and Berelain, I am not trying to create a mystery, I think RJ did. I recently reread 4-6 and it is the only thing that really jumped out at me. I find it mysterious, If other people do not I believe they have a right to their own opinion.

Ha Ha, I just read that last paragraph and I can see how arrogant it must seem...:o

Terez 12-13-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekyras (Post 80646)
But a corollary of that is that you CANNOT disprove something without evidence.

I wasn't trying to disprove anything. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekyras
For the record Terez, I have never found you arrogant.

You haven't been here long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekyras
As for my "theory" on Rhuarc and Berelain, I am not trying to create a mystery, I think RJ did. I recently reread 4-6 and it is the only thing that really jumped out at me. I find it mysterious, If other people do not I believe they have a right to their own opinion.

This is why I compared it to the 'mystery' of Elayne's veil. Not really a mystery, unless you're....bored?

Daekyras 12-13-2009 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 80652)
You haven't been here long

2003-roughly 6 years

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 80652)
This is why I compared it to the 'mystery' of Elayne's veil. Not really a mystery, unless you're....bored?

Thank you for a beautiful example of what I obviosly missed during those 6 years ;)

Terez 12-13-2009 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekyras (Post 80655)
2003-roughly 6 years

I'm not talking about when you joined, but how much you hang out here. For all I know you could be a regular member in disguise, or a lurker who reads the forum as much as a regular (which I somehow doubt), but seems to me that chances are you haven't hung out much or you would never question my arrogance. Even the people that like me know I'm arrogant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekyras
Thank you for a beautiful example of what I obviosly missed during those 6 years ;)

Any time.

I think that RJ has said in interviews that he's reluctant to tell the readers things that he thinks we should be able to figure out easily. That would be insulting our intelligence. Berelain got spanked. If not that, then I have a better idea than yours: in addition to the strange practice of sister-wives (no mention of brother-husbands, mind), clan chiefs also are allowed to take wetlander captives as concubines. That's what Rhuarc 'gave' her in the Stone. Berelain met her toh admirably, something rarely seen among wetlanders, so the Aiel (who all watched of course - they're not bashful) all now respect her, and treat her like one of them. Sulin, wedded to no man, is a lesbian dominatrix on the side, and after all, Berelain is hawt.

It's ridiculous, and it's got a few holes in it (mixed with a thing or two that might actually be true), but it's way better than Berelain and Rhuarc being Darkfriends. :rolleyes:

Daekyras 12-13-2009 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 80656)

I think that RJ has said in interviews that he's reluctant to tell the readers things that he thinks we should be able to figure out easily. That would be insulting our intelligence. Berelain got spanked. If not that, then I have a better idea than yours: in addition to the strange practice of sister-wives (no mention of brother-husbands, mind), clan chiefs also are allowed to take wetlander captives as concubines. That's what Rhuarc 'gave' her in the Stone. Berelain met her toh admirably, something rarely seen among wetlanders, so the Aiel (who all watched of course - they're not bashful) all now respect her, and treat her like one of them. Sulin, wedded to no man, is a lesbian dominatrix on the side, and after all, Berelain is hawt.

It's ridiculous, and it's got a few holes in it (mixed with a thing or two that might actually be true), but it's way better than Berelain and Rhuarc being Darkfriends. :rolleyes:

Believe it or not i had originally written something like that, not as eloquently put, but edited it to avoid gaining the attention of certain users who will remain nameless(cough rougesaviour cough)!

As for your arrogance, surely it is only matched by your wit, charm and beauty..:p..but when I said I never found you arrogant I meant that you almost always backed up your arguments with quotes etc. Something I myself rarely do.

One thing, and this is an actual question i'm not trying to take the piss, Do you really think it is that unlikely that Rhuarc and\or Berelain are darkfriends?

GonzoTheGreat 12-13-2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 80645)
Sure, but you can't debate something if there's not any real evidence involved. Ambiguous quotes are better than no quotes. Also, there's no real mystery here, so why create one?

BS did that, when he mentioned the "little thing".

With Mat's hat, no real mystery exists either, unless you assume that there is one. However, in the case of that hat, we do see where he gets it, and all of it is quite unmysterious.

In the Berelain, Rhuarc and the other Aiel case, though, all we get are allusions.

Quote:

Also, I'm undeniably arrogant, but I think there are definitely worse kinds of arrogance than mine. ;)
If your arrogance isn't ultimate, then it is not really arrogance at all, just a vague copy thereof.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.