Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 12: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another Gauntlet Thrown Down by Brandon (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2514)

Tercel 02-03-2010 05:31 AM

Strange things in Book Six

I've just finished Book Six, and was paying close attention for Brandon's missing detail. I nominate the following:

1) Entering T'A'R in the flesh.
The wise-ones go on and on about how bad entering TAR in the flesh is. Then Egwene and Rand both do it, and experience no obvious negative consequences. Yet I believe it is mentioned in later books also. So is it really bad, why, and what are its effects?

2) What is with Egwene's maid Chesa?
Chesa is given to her by Sheriam (Black Ajah) and Chesa is an phenomenally amazingly abnormally good servant who appears unfailingly loyal to Egwene and who seems to never try to spy on her for Sheriam. By contrast Lelaine and Romanda give her terrible servants that spy on her. Later when Halima (A'ran'gar) kills Egwene's servants she leaves only Chesa alive - why? What Black Ajah purpose is Chesa serving?

3) Learning a second weave is difficult
It is stated that learning a second weave to do the same thing with the power is very difficult and doesn't work well. I see no rational reason to explain this. This is repeated in subsequent books. But why should this be so, and what effects might it have in future?

4) The Siswaiamon ignore their headband
Among the Aiel those who put on the red headband and call themselves Siswaiamon pretend they are not wearing the headband when anyone asks them about it. They seem weird.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 85406)
I don't think anyone has mentioned the unseen eyes in Tel'aran'rhiod yet, so I figured I'd throw that out there.

I think that's a really important possibility which I'd completely missed! The unseen eyes in TAR is something that's consistently mentioned. I've always taken it for granted that it did mean someone was watching, but I've never really thought about who it might be. The other Heroes of the Horn are a possibility.

Terez 02-03-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinespringBrother (Post 85650)
There were also unseen eyes/watchers in Fal Dara. There was a gray man there, but I thought it was Lanfear spying on Rand.

Rand last sensed the eyes on him the moment before the arrow was loosed.

rand 02-03-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinespringBrother
There were also unseen eyes/watchers in Fal Dara. There was a gray man there, but I thought it was Lanfear spying on Rand.
I always thought this was supposed to be Fain. Isn't there a short PoV of Fain where he's able to stare right at where Rand (and I think even Liandrin) is even though he can physically see him?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tercel
1) Entering T'A'R in the flesh.
The wise-ones go on and on about how bad entering TAR in the flesh is. Then Egwene and Rand both do it, and experience no obvious negative consequences. Yet I believe it is mentioned in later books also. So is it really bad, why, and what are its effects?
Slayer smells "inhuman" to Perrin. So you lose part of your humanity. What negative effects this entails in don't think we know (aside from the fact that wolf people can smell you). Rand and Egwene probably didn't spend enough time there to lose much humanity.

Regarding the unseen eyes in TAR... Was this exclusive to books 4-6?

Terez 02-04-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand (Post 86104)
I always thought this was supposed to be Fain. Isn't there a short PoV of Fain where he's able to stare right at where Rand (and I think even Liandrin) is even though he can physically see him?

Yes, but it's not Fain, cause Fain had already escaped when Rand felt the eyes the last time, right before the arrow got him, so it was a Gray Man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand
Regarding the unseen eyes in TAR... Was this exclusive to books 4-6?

It was introduced in book 4. Not sure why you ask the question that way. After a while, they become used to them, but they are still always there, and mentioned at least every now and then.

rand 02-04-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
Yes, but it's not Fain, cause Fain had already escaped when Rand felt the eyes the last time, right before the arrow got him, so it was a Gray Man.
It's been a while since I read tGH, so... what evidence is there that it was a Gray Man that shot at Rand? And why would he have followed him around all day when Rand was alone, only to finally attempt to kill him when he was surrounded by a bunch of people?

Or are you saying the earlier "eyes" were Fain, and the ones Rand later senses in the courtyard were a Gray Man?

Quote:

It was introduced in book 4. Not sure why you ask the question that way. After a while, they become used to them, but they are still always there, and mentioned at least every now and then.
I was under the impression the small detail was exclusive to books 4-6 (for that matter, I thought BS said it was exclusive to only one of them; 4 or 5 or 6...).

Baravius Hallendren 02-04-2010 04:35 PM

No, it starts in 4-6 but it continues through today. Check out Terez's interview database.

Terez 02-04-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand (Post 86186)
It's been a while since I read tGH, so... what evidence is there that it was a Gray Man that shot at Rand?

Ingtar told him.

Quote:

And why would he have followed him around all day when Rand was alone, only to finally attempt to kill him when he was surrounded by a bunch of people?

We don't know.

Quote:

Or are you saying the earlier "eyes" were Fain, and the ones Rand later senses in the courtyard were a Gray Man?

No.

You know...you have gotten less annoying. But you are still annoying, lol.

rand 02-08-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baravius Hallendren
No, it starts in 4-6 but it continues through today.
Huh. Not sure how I missed that. Just reading through parts of this thread, though, it seemed like the clue was just a one time occurence type of thing. Oh well...

Quote:

You know...you have gotten less annoying. But you are still annoying, lol.
Lol. I try :D

mickle 03-14-2010 04:45 PM

I've not seen this discussed before, though I may have missed it amongst the few hundred thousand posts theoryland's had!

TSR, chapter 9, Decisions, pg 174 paperback.
Lanfear talking about Callandor "There are only two more powerful that a man can use. One at least, I know, still exists."

We know the most powerful is (or was) the Choedan Kal, so there must be another super powerful sa'angreal out there somewhere, something with more welly than Callandor. The Rhuidean collection (now in Caemlyn?), the White Tower and the Ebou Dar collection (now with Eqwene?) are the likely places. Note, no male channeler has searched the White Tower or Ebou Dar stuff yet, so there's plenty of items they don't know the use of. I wonder whether Aviendha will go and check over the collections, now she's a Wise One and her best mate is the Amyrlin Seat.

Terez 03-15-2010 12:09 AM

That has been brought up in this thread before, and it's certainly been discussed a great deal over a years (which disqualifies it, along with the fact that it hasn't been mentioned in the books since). There is even a faction, that it was one of the Ebou Dar collection, but that idea was nixed in Knife of Dreams.

GonzoTheGreat 03-15-2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 89592)
There is even a faction, that it was one of the Ebou Dar collection, but that idea was nixed in Knife of Dreams.

How? I can't remember that part.

Terez 03-15-2010 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 89601)
How? I can't remember that part.

Ask Dai; it's his faction. :p The debates were from before my time. I think he thought it was the RJ-cameo library.

GonzoTheGreat 03-15-2010 05:48 AM

Well, I've speculated that it was one of the discarded broken-table-legs. As far as I know, that theory hasn't been refuted, yet.

Terez 03-15-2010 07:17 AM

Perhaps Luckers will be willing to give it a go.

Luckers 03-15-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Well, I've speculated that it was one of the discarded broken-table-legs. As far as I know, that theory hasn't been refuted, yet.
Quote:

Perhaps Luckers will be willing to give it a go.
Sure.

The Table-Leg Theory

Essentially this theory suggests that after Lews Therin dumped Mierin, she went on a bender with Beidomon. Disconsolate at being dumped like the cheap trash she was, Mierin becomes increasingly emotional and abusive with each drink she had. In the course of this night she drunkenly declares that Beidomon 'could not fdin...find a Dark Dog... God... Dark God... could not find a Dark God... if the existence of Shoram depended on it.'

Directly after uttering this dire insult Mierin fell over a table, breaking it. Beidomon, who was a bit of a wussy, called her a jo-cab, but he did not forget the injustice. Taking up one of the broken table legs, he vowed his vengence.

According to this theory he then used his knowledge as a One Power researcher to craft the leg into a weapon with which he was to exact pain upon the woman who had so defamed him--however due to the aforementioned wussyness he never used it.

That is the theory of the Table Leg sa'angreal.

Aww. Terez getting served yet again. Sad, really. :o

GonzoTheGreat 03-15-2010 09:27 AM

All right, now the next question: which one of the three was it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoD, Chapter 2, Unweaving
Dropping another table leg – that made three, none of which matched – Elayne spared a glance for the clearing.

Terez 03-15-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckers (Post 89642)
Terez getting served yet again. Sad, really. :o

Sure is. You get to join Davian as a fetch boy. He has to serve three girls, but you can serve me full time. ;)

Luckers 03-15-2010 11:23 AM

Fine, but as a gay man you should be aware that I'm highly unskilled in serving women. You like it when we hit you, right? I'm sure I saw that on TV.

Terez 03-15-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckers (Post 89666)
Fine, but as a gay man you should be aware that I'm highly unskilled in serving women. You like it when we hit you, right? I'm sure I saw that on TV.

I think mansex is hawt. If you try to hit me, though, I'll hit back and laugh when you cry like a girl.

Scrubble 03-15-2010 11:47 AM

The small detail

Slayer killed As.....oops!

The small detail is what Herid(sp) Fel says to Rand before he is torn apart by Gholam.

The stuff about a clean slate before building a new prison.

Rands going to have to destroy the seals himself.