Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 12: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another Gauntlet Thrown Down by Brandon (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2514)

Neilbert 06-01-2010 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma (Post 99860)
The Windfinder then gets worried thinking that the Aes Sedai can force women into a circle and the Aes Sedai gives a very Aes Sedai answeer along the lines that "a woman cannot force anotehr woman into a circle". She is very careful not to say that several woman can't force a link as I believe the circle has to have a certain number before it can force others in.

This is really one of those instances where I'm going to need a direct quote. It's really hard to evaluate Aes Sedai word games otherwise.

However, I don't see the difference that you do. Even if it's a huge circle it's still being controlled by one woman.

Terez 06-01-2010 01:23 AM

There's nothing about forcing a woman into a link at all until KOD, besides the Sea Folk being paranoid about it. And for Neil, it's Sareitha in book 8. I'm sure you can find it.

Also, I just came across this tidbit from RJ (not that it's really news...it's just on topic):

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ
I asked him if what he has read on the net has ever affected what he writes. He said if many people correctly theorizes what will happen latter on, he tries to put less clues of what will happen in the future. Also he said that if he finds out that too many people have a totally wrong idea of something, he occasionally tries to put in a clue hinting to what is actually right.

I think this is one of those cases.

Azul 06-04-2010 02:42 AM

this may have been mentioned before or just a silly typo but its driving me nuts as i'm rereading the series.

At the start of TSR it says the wind is blowing North and WEST across the Caralain Gass and that it passes dragonmount and tar valon. Last time i checked both of those are east of the plains. If its not a typo then its a very small detail thats very easy to miss and reminds me of the banners blowing one direction while the trees blew in the opposite direction at the start of TGS. any thoughts ?

GonzoTheGreat 06-04-2010 04:56 AM

I think that it is a typo, but it is defnitely a good find.

JonJon Gaidin 08-28-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belazamon (Post 69759)
What the hell, I'll throw my support behind this idea. That always did bug me, we never had enough information to really speculate on it, so every time it came up it was dropped pretty quickly.

Didn't someone Dream/Foretell that if the right hand/person found the "Bowl" that something else important would be found?

GonzoTheGreat 08-28-2010 01:11 PM

Someones did that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoC, Chapter 19, Matters of Toh
"There is one other I can tell you, though it may not concern you." Which meant there were some she would not tell, which made him wonder why the Wise Ones had discussed them with her, since she was not a dreamwalker. "All three had this dream, which makes it especially significant. Rain," that word still came clumsily too, "coming from a bowl. There are snares and pitfalls around the bowl. If the right hands pick it up, they will find a treasure perhaps as great as the bowl. If the wrong hands, the world is doomed. The key to finding the bowl is to find the one who is no longer."

JonJon Gaidin 08-28-2010 04:14 PM

Is having the "Voice" = to having a particular "Talent"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nameless (Post 72818)
He heard seed songs through his ancestor's POV in the glass columns. Presumably he's not the only one, although you're right that there's no guarentee any of the other Clan Chiefs or Wise Ones have enough of an ear for music to reproduce them.

Also, back in the prologue to tEoTW, Lews Therin asks Ishamael if he has the Voice. That seems to indicate that just knowing the songs isn't enough to make them work, just like an Ogier without the Treesinging ability will never get a response even if he hits every note perfectly.

If so,then is the song that Loial(sp) used in the EotW when he healed/blessed the reincarnated "Green Man" diff. from the song that's used in seed singing? Is there a diff. song used when making "Sung Wood"? How many different songs have been mentioned in the series so far? Thank You Could the Tinkers be looking for the "Voice" instead of the "Song"? Maybe lost in ttranslation (eg toh meaning "obligation" or "duty" in the Old Tongue). Maybe lost in the "turning" of the Wheel: when memory becomes legend, that then fades to myth, that then becomes forgotten. Is this possible?

JonJon Gaidin 08-28-2010 04:31 PM

Thank You Gonzo. Do you think they were talking about another "item of the OP" or a "people" for the Light-Side(the Windfinders and Kin in circle w/AS) in ref. to the "treasure"?

GonzoTheGreat 08-29-2010 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon Gaidin (Post 107132)
Thank You Gonzo. Do you think they were talking about another "item of the OP" or a "people" for the Light-Side(the Windfinders and Kin in circle w/AS) in ref. to the "treasure"?

The treasure may very well be the ter'angreal library which they found there. Or it may be something else entirely.

Perhaps it is a "small detail from books 4-6"?

FelixPax 08-31-2010 06:44 AM

Tinkers looking for the 'Lost Songs'

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon Gaidin (Post 107131)
Could the Tinkers be looking for the "Voice" instead of the "Song"? Maybe lost in ttranslation (eg toh meaning "obligation" or "duty" in the Old Tongue). Maybe lost in the "turning" of the Wheel: when memory becomes legend, that then fades to myth, that then becomes forgotten. Is this possible?

Loial claimed that a Seeker of a Band of Tinkers, was interested in learning the 'Songs'. In fact, this Seekers curiousness and desire to learn the 'Lost Songs', pulled Loial into becoming a Treesinger in the firstplace.

Loial mentions Tinkers trying to sing to trees, at Stedding Shanghai. But the trees would not listen. See 'The Eye of the World' book, for those scenes with Loial talking about Tinkers.

Notice that Elder Haman claimed in KoD book, that Loial has been out of a Stedding for over five years. Meaning that Seeker and his Band of Tinkers visited at least five years ago.

Are the Songs Lost and really forgotten, it seems your asking?

My answer is "No". The so-called 'Lost Songs' are not forgotten everywhere.

Birgitte the Hero of the Horn called to Falme, by a Mat blowing the Horn of Valere knows...
Quote:

“My name is Rand al’Thor,” he snapped. “You have to hurry. There isn’t much time.”

“Time?” Birgitte said, smiling. “We have all of time.”
The Lost Songs are known in the storage space called the 3rd Constant or TAR for short.

Then there is a place called the 'Tower of Ghenjei', where the 'Lost Songs' may also be found, if the 'Need' is there and asked for.

GonzoTheGreat 08-31-2010 07:41 AM

Felix, what evidence do you have that those Lost Songs are anything other than a figment of the imagination of the ancestors of the Tinkers?

JonJon Gaidin 09-01-2010 07:06 PM

?Small detail from bk.4=Rand's Family Tree?

I start by assuming if you begin with Rand and go backwards you get to LTT. I read in book 4 that when Rand went into Mr. Peabody's "WayBack Machine" and was seeing through his ancestor's eyes, that we have Rand's Tree as far as Charn. If this is correct,then I'm going to theorize that the next logical step back is to LTT(=Dad).I also assume that when LTT flipped-out in TEotW in the Prologue, that all his dead children in the palace were from his wife Ilyena. But I think his "Love Child", with his one time main squeeze Mierin Sedai(=Mom), was named Charn. Then when LTT and Mierin went their seperate ways,she took the kid. If this is the small detail, then would you also call it a puzzle? On my two complete read throughs I don't think it's mentioned again anywhere. Just to let you know a little about my reading comprehention skills, I never knew that the Chapter Icons were related to the chapter content. I only admit this in hopes that another kindred spirit can relate and not feel bad at not getting it the first time like me.(I hope I'm not the only one) Thank You TheoryLand Posters for the Icon lesson. So what do you think? Is this the small detail?

Neilbert 09-01-2010 07:11 PM

That assumes that Rand is a descendant of LTT which doesn't seem necessary.

JonJon Gaidin 09-01-2010 07:16 PM

wasn't LTT the Dragon? Isn't Rand the Dragon Reborn? Wouldn't that mean the same soul? Same family tree? Or am I missing something?

Terez 09-01-2010 07:42 PM

Lews Therin and Mierin are both dark-haired. Neither could produce an Aiel child, or even one that resembles an Aiel.

JonJon Gaidin 09-01-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 107555)
Lews Therin and Mierin are both dark-haired. Neither could produce an Aiel child, or even one that resembles an Aiel.

Thanx Miss T

GonzoTheGreat 09-02-2010 06:18 AM

More importantly by far: Lews Therin Kinslayer got famous for slaying his kin, which means killing everyone who was even vaguely related to him. So I do not see any reason to assume that any of his descendants would have survived.

As an aside: can you imagine having Mierin Sedai as your mother?

Terez 09-02-2010 09:07 AM

To further clarify, it is not required that you be reborn in a body that is descended from your old one; in fact, it's probably rather rare.

FelixPax 09-02-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 107656)
As an aside: can you imagine having Mierin Sedai as your mother?

She very likely didn't have any kids, Gonzo... too hung up about L.T.T., to have a relationship with any other man. Hung up for at least 50 years, before the Bore was breeched. No, she was loyal to her hunt of L.T.T.'s heart, mind and love. ;)

However, if your thinking of the successful misinformation campaign about Lanfear loyalties. Then yes, I can see your point, Gonzo.

JaconKin 09-07-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX (Post 69698)
We've got her, Dave, but there's also Perrin in the Two Rivers which means also including Luc/Slayer/Isam, Birgitte & Gaidal (as Tam mentioned, although I don't think she's Shadow-bound), the ter'angreal stash from Rhuidean, Tigraine's journey to the Waste, and well, alot more. Then again, it's quite possibly something we have discussed in the passed that BS just hasn't seen, cause it was years ago.

Speaking of the Ter Angreal Stash, where the heck has that disappeared too?