Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 12: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Another Gauntlet Thrown Down by Brandon (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2514)

ShadowbaneX 11-04-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
Or, you guys could trust me, that I know what I'm talking about but can't reveal my source. ;)

Since when do we ever believe anything even when it's expressly written out in front of us?

greatwolf 11-04-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX
Since when do we ever believe anything even when it's expressly written out in front of us?

You mean like Taimandred?

Quick thought : I guess callandor would enable LT draw as much as a mixed circle of the seventy two strongest channelers of the aol.

ShadowbaneX 11-04-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatwolf
You mean like Taimandred?

I'm sorry, I don't understand this word you speak.

nameless 11-04-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
Book 4-6 was mainly Asmodean's Tale, wasn't it?

Asmodean, Dreamwalker bootcamp, "lord" Perrin of the Two Rivers, the introduction of the Aeil culture, Rand's college of inventors... there's a lot to choose from. My guess is something to do with TAR, since that would tie in with Perrin's recent efforts to figure out the dreamworld. Maybe we're finally going to find out why it's a bad idea to bring your body with you into TAR? "Dreaming" in the flesh is something that was mentioned at least once in all three of the books in question.

SauceyBlueConfetti 11-04-2009 04:01 PM

I think we need a new tshirt

"It is intuitively obvious so stop asking me"

ShadowbaneX 11-04-2009 04:32 PM

I believe that's called "RAFO"

shadar 11-04-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Speaking of using Need though, didn't Nynaeve and Elayne use Need in T'A'R to find something to fix the weather, but it originally took them to Tar Valon, but they knew that they didn't have access so they added the 'not in Tar Valon' clause? Could that be something? iirc, that topic hasn't been largely discussed.
I thought this was pretty well established. The used Need to find something to move the Salidar AS. They then ended up in Tar Valon WHERE EGWENE WAS. Eg's next POV tells of her running into them, and I think it was Elayne's POV that said she thought she saw Eg.

Pretty sure that was done and dusted.

I like the Ashandarei idea though..

From the scene:
“Who is the Daughter of the Nine Moons and why do I have to marry her?” "You are supposed to answer,” “Burn your bones to ash, answer me! Who is the Daughter of the Nine Moons and why do I have to marry her? How will I die and live again? What does it mean that I have to give up half the light of the world? Those are my three questions. Say something!”

“I have no intention of marrying. And I have no intention of dying, either, whether I am supposed to live
again or not. I walk around with holes in my memory, holes in my life, and you stare at me like idiots. If I had my way, I would want those holes filled, but at least answers to my questions might fill some in my future. You have to answer - !”

"Done,” one of the men growled,

“Burn your eyes,” “Burn your souls! You are as bad as Aes Sedai. Well, I want a way to be free of Aes Sedai and the Power, and I want to be away from you and back to Rhuidean, if you will not answer me. Open up a door, and let me - ”

“Done,” another man said, and one of the women echoed, “Done.”

“Done? What is done? I see no door. You lying goat-fathered - ”

“Fool,” “Wise to ask leavetaking, when you set no price, no terms.” “Yet fool not to first agree on price.” “We will set the price.” “What was asked will be given.” “The price will be paid.”

“Burn you,” he shouted, “what are you talking - ”
Note what he asks for:
If I had my way, I would want those holes filled Pretty obviously, he gets the memories

Well, I want a way to be free of Aes Sedai and the Power - Again, the Amulet.

I want to be away from you and back to Rhuidean again done (although not alive)

Where is the Ashandarei in that???!

Terez 11-04-2009 05:45 PM

We don't know. But we do know that's not the detail we are looking for.

vinmin 11-04-2009 07:24 PM

It's so obvious

It's so obvious. The only thing that is in each and every book and is also on the same obscurity level as Vin's earing is Bella. That horse pops up everywhere. So therefore Bella is either...

a. The Creator
b. Gaidal Cain or
c. Just a really busy horse

Tamyrlin 11-04-2009 08:49 PM

Nice

I'd almost be ready to agree, if Brandon hadn't re-confirmed the Book 4-6 comment, as to when it was first introduced.

jana 11-05-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
I just noticed your signature. Don't you have an account here already under 'Deadsy'? Or maybe that was just at ezboard....

Ya, just ezboard

One Armed Gimp 11-05-2009 12:21 PM

Are we sure the detail is repeated? The way I read it, he isn't sure which book its in, somewhere in 4, 5, or 6. Not that the detail is necessarily repeated throughout them.

Nelal Hurcran 11-05-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Armed Gimp
Are we sure the detail is repeated? The way I read it, he isn't sure which book its in, somewhere in 4, 5, or 6. Not that the detail is necessarily repeated throughout them.

I think it was more the reference to Mistborn that has us looking for recurring themes.

We can logically assume, based on what Brandon has said about the focus of ToM, that the "detail" pertains to either Perrin or Mat. Also, if we listen to Terez - cryptic much? - we see that most of what was talked about in those first posts was focused on Mat.

So while there is a possibility of it coming from any character, right now, the highest probability lies with Perrin.

Unless there's a mistake in my logic. Wouldn't be the first time...

Terez 11-05-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Armed Gimp

Yes we are sure - it is a detail that has been present in the books since.

Tamyrlin 11-05-2009 02:17 PM

That reply from Brandon coming soon

not done with the transcript :(

ShadowbaneX 11-05-2009 05:10 PM

This is probably crazy, but there's a bit of perverse logic to it if you think about it. In other threads we've kinda been going nuts trying to figure out where Demandred is. So far we know very little save that his army is ready to go to war. Well, which army? Not likely the Seanchan. Possibly the Sharans or the Land of the Madmen, but that doesn't quite seem to fit either.

The Aiel are obviously following Rand, I doubt somehow that Demandred is actually Talmanes and secretly has control of the Band as Mat's second. Andor is in Elayne's hands, Tear is in Darlin's hand, Cairhien and Illian are also in Rand's control. Arad Doman is currently on Rand's side as well, sorta. The south-western part is in Seanchan control and Semirhage was there. I suppose it's possible that he's behind some of the chaos in Seanchan proper, but that doesn't seem to sit either, since that was, again, Semirhage's 'domain'. What's left? Tar Valon, Mesaana.

Actually, there is one area we haven't considered, in this case the group that's been acting most strangely: the Borderlanders. They've seemingly "abandoned" their posts along the Blight and been very evasive about why they wanted to meet Rand.

Abandoning their position, well, iirc, they left behind the minimal amount needed to defend the border, but took everyone else, and what's more, where is that force currently? They're in a position, at Far Madding to strike Illian, Andor and Tear and possibly hassle Cairhien as well, which would be disasterous if you needed to rally forces along the Blight!

Right now I'm thinking that if we look at Demandred's parts in books 4-6 we might find a hint that he's with the Borderlanders. Anyone wanna care to join me for looking through these parts?

Nelal Hurcran 11-05-2009 05:21 PM

I sure hope you're wrong. The last thing I want to see is the four best military powers in Randland on the wrong side of the battle field. I like the Boarderlanders, dang-it!

nameless 11-05-2009 05:30 PM

My biggest problem with the Borderlanders is that Graendal says flat out "maybe he's with the borderlanders." Hardly the kind of edge-of-your-seat mystery we've come to expect from the series. Sure, we've also been told flat out that Mesaana's in the Tower, but for her the mystery revolves around who she's disguised as rather than where she is. Also, the Borderlanders helped Elayne unify the Andorans, which I doubt Demandred would have been party to. (Of course, this is circular reasoning on my part because I think Demandred's in Murandy. If he wasn't involved with Roedran's unification scheme then he might not have recognized someone else pulling off the same scheme using the Borderland armies in place of the Band of the Red Hand).

ShadowbaneX 11-05-2009 05:38 PM

"when you've eliminated the impossible."

Strategically and tactically being in Far Madding with a force that strong makes great sense and Demandred was one of the greatest Generals on the side of the Shadow. It practically makes too much sense for him to be anywhere else. He could be in other places, but kiss would suggest that he's there.

ShadowbaneX 11-05-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nameless
My biggest problem with the Borderlanders is that Graendal says flat out "maybe he's with the borderlanders." Hardly the kind of edge-of-your-seat mystery we've come to expect from the series. Sure, we've also been told flat out that Mesaana's in the Tower, but for her the mystery revolves around who she's disguised as rather than where she is. Also, the Borderlanders helped Elayne unify the Andorans, which I doubt Demandred would have been party to. (Of course, this is circular reasoning on my part because I think Demandred's in Murandy. If he wasn't involved with Roedran's unification scheme then he might not have recognized someone else pulling off the same scheme using the Borderland armies in place of the Band of the Red Hand).

depends on what his ultimate goals were. If his goal was to get to a place where he could attack Tear, Illian and Andor, then allowing some political maneuvering which might work (but also might not) to unify Andor, then it's probably worth it to have that position.

Actually, he doesn't need to attack. He can sit there in a siege and still be enough of a nuisance. That's a thread that the forces to the North cannot ignore and dividing the Light's attention right now could be all the advantage the Shadow needs.

In addition, it's also added chaos and we've seen how well that works.