Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book Tour: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Q&A and Signing Questions - SLC Transcription Finished (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2566)

JSUCamel 11-07-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weird Harold
Also might be "Salyut" which was a soviet space capsule type.

More probably "Salya" is both of those and a couple of other things/people.

From the Budapest interviews:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Jordan and Harriet
Q: There is a widespread debate on the internet: you mentioned some tales of times like Mosk and MerkÖdoes it have any connection with America and Moscow?
RJ: Yes. I thought that one was very obvious.
Q: (various mumblings about Anla)
H: Anla, the Wise Counselor, she was the most popular advice columnist in the United States. Do you know Abby and Ann[?]? You write to the paper with a problem, you know, ďWhat shall I do?Ē, and she tells you. But her name was Ann Landers.
RJ: And she was the most widely distributed advice columnist for what? 40 years? In the United States, and syndicated in newspapers all over the country. Anla the Wise Counselor was Ann Landers.
Q: We would never have guessed it.
RJ: No, but I try not to throw in everything that that people are going to guess immediately.
H: And Salya?
RJ: No, letís not talk about Salya. [Q confused]. Salya, who walked among the stars? Lenn, who went to the moon in the belly of a fire eagle? Yes? And his daughter Salya who walked among the stars? [much mumbling] No, she didnít Ė she wasnít on the Challenger. Sally Ride was the first female American astronaut. So, thatís Salya, who in this thing has become the daughter of Lenn, who was John Glenn, who did not go to the moon in an eagle, but flies to the moon in the belly of a ďfire eagleĒÖ
H [interrupts]: And is relationship to Salya. Thatís how it works.

RJ: But thatís the whole thing, in these books: itís giving you hints, really, and it was the way it was giving you hints, clearly, as to the way things are working in the books, that these are the source of legends, but itís not in any way a straightforward retelling. What two or three men have done will be compressed to make one story, or what one man has done may be split up into two different men Ė this partís given to somebody else, and that partís given to that one - and he himself is completely forgotten. I put these things there in a way as a clue, a hint to you: this is the way things are working in these books, this is what has come of things that are somewhat recognizable from our time. What myths have risen out of them? So, you see how the distortion has happened. What myths are going to arise out of the events of these books? Itís not going to be just another telling of what happens in these books Ė itís all going to be twisted and woven together in ways that nobody who was there at the events would ever recognize.

Belazamon 11-07-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatwolf
Thing is, BS's statement means that Rand may not even be insane at all. But he is in the process of going mad.

Stating your opinion as a fact does not make it any less your opinion. And I don't agree with your opinion.

greatwolf 11-07-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belazamon
Stating your opinion as a fact does not make it any less your opinion. And I don't agree with your opinion.

Why? Because you can't abandon the construct theory?

Tamyrlin 11-07-2009 04:20 PM

He said

That we as readers must accept that as we read we are witnessing him going insane. Plus, I paraphrased what I remember of the questions and answer (stupid computer wasn't recording). It would require additional questions to get clarification.

Belazamon 11-07-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Because I think you're clearly, blindingly, unbelievably wrong. Does that explain it well enough?

On second thought, yeah. That's it. :rolleyes:

greatwolf 11-07-2009 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
That we as readers must accept that as we read we are witnessing him going insane. Plus, I paraphrased what I remember of the questions and answer (stupid computer wasn't recording). It would require additional questions to get clarification.

Yes that what I thought he said, but does that mean he is still in the process of going insane or not? With what BS said, all we can rule out is that Rand suddenly went mad. When or if he is already insane cannot be ascertained from this.

I think most people accept that Rand has serious mental issues. That's realistic, he wouldn't be human if he wasn't under severe psychological strain right now.

But anything that claims that Rand is so far gone into a psychiatric illness that conjures up a voice for his actions, especially as far back as TSH (where LT speaks for the first time) or EotW (where Rand channels for the first time and first gets directions from a voice) is flat out being unrealistic. And the WoT is one of the most (if not the most) realistic fantasy series ever.

nameless 11-07-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Tobias: There's a psychological concept known as denial that I believe you're evincing. It's when a thought is so hateful that the mind literally rejects it.
Lucille: You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son-in-law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.
Tobias: Well, if she's not going to say anything I certainly can't help her.

RJ said that Rand is gradually going to go insane. BS said Rand is gradually going insane. Every character in the book who thinks about it thinks that Rand is gradually going insane. Obviously, the people who think he's insane are just grasping at straws out of stubborn refusal to abandon their pet theories :P

Belazamon 11-08-2009 03:06 AM

Quote:

But anything that claims that Rand is so far gone into a psychiatric illness that conjures up a voice for his actions, especially as far back as TSH (where LT speaks for the first time) or EotW (where Rand channels for the first time and first gets directions from a voice) is flat out being unrealistic.

I... just... I...

~head explodes~

Sodas 11-08-2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
That we as readers must accept that as we read we are witnessing him going insane.

When? In the book or in the series?

Because it's obvious that Rand goes insane in tGS in a way he never did before.

Terez 11-16-2009 01:35 AM

Just wanted to say....after going through...what? 11 stormleader reports tonight?....that I LOVE YOU TAM. You gave me about 10x as much work to do in the interview database as the rest of the reporters combined. And that is awesome.

Tamyrlin 11-16-2009 10:22 AM

In the series

As far as I recall from his answer.

FelixPax 11-16-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie Curie 7
Well, he's right about stuff from our time showing up in the Wheel of Time, of course, but it really wasn’t Buzz Aldrin, lol. The line is:

This is about John Glenn, not Buzz Aldrin (and Sally Ride, of course). :) But really, the legend is twisted (as we might expect) because John Glenn never went to the moon, though he was arguably the most famous astronaut.

Let's see John Glenn later become a U.S. Senator of Ohio to Congress after his space missions, and Sally Ride become a Professor at UCSD for about a decade after the her time with NASA.

So assuming WoT has an after-life, pointing finger at Rand, Nynaeve et la characters and their places in broader society...what is in store for them after T'G? When mythical fame meets reality? Will some become future mythical "Legends" and famous leaders as seems to be suggested in tGS, for Mat?

DeiwosTheSkyGod 11-16-2009 02:22 PM

I've always wondered how Nynaeve would become the basis for the Lady of the Lake. I don't know much about Arthur stories, but nothing obvious seems to correlate, from the little I do know.

AbbeyRoad 11-16-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatwolf
But anything that claims that Rand is so far gone into a psychiatric illness that conjures up a voice for his actions, especially as far back as TSH (where LT speaks for the first time) or EotW (where Rand channels for the first time and first gets directions from a voice) is flat out being unrealistic.

Are you serious?

Rand is going insane. Slowly and inevitably over the course of the novels. His actions and thoughts grow more or more crazy as the books progress. Is there a specific point where Rand is suddenly insane? Well, what is a heap of sand? If you add one grain of sand, it isn't suddenly a heap of sand. And if you take away one grain of sand from a heap, it's still a heap. However, a heap of sand is a goddamn heap of sand. There's no distinct line when Rand suddenly becomes insane, but by tGS, trust me, he's bonkers. I seriously question anyone's sanity who assumes that Rand is somehow sane as of tGS before "Veins of Gold."