Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book Tour: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Dallas Signing (Good stuff here) (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2645)

Matoyak 11-16-2009 12:12 AM

@FelixPax: one giant "Wut?"

Slightly off-topic: When I was waiting for my turn to get in line, I started browsing the fantasy section of the Borders. I accidentally passed up the fantasy/scifi section and ended up in the horror section. I glance down the isle and see a piece of paper taped to a familiar looking book. turns out, someone had moved the Twilight books into the horror section and taped a piece of paper to them that said "Moved to horror for quality of writing". I so wish I had a camera or a camera phone so I could have taken a picture of that...I told my mom about it and she sent back "LMAO. Tell me about it..." (She barely got through the first book, and said that she'd read better writing when she was a 6th grade English teacher...)

Terez 11-16-2009 01:05 AM

This has been added to the interview database. Good work, Mato. ;)

Muirenn 11-16-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak

[U
Random Storm Leader[/U]: Does Elayne know that Allana bonded Rand?
Sanderson: Uh...well... I'll have to check that. MAFO. Good question.

We discussed this further at the signing, and the consensus was the Egwene probably does not know.

Quote:

[note: this next one is heavily paraphrased. I was not able to hear a good amount of it]
Random Storm Leader: Elaida's dress in the dinner where she beat Egwene, I noticed that you included uncut <insert stone type here...Mato can't recall what it was> stones in her dress.
Sanderson: Ah yes, I added that post-revision remembering your question you had asked me before. I felt it fit in with the technology, and was a good addition. By the way, the Storm Leaders in this particular signing have been the best prepared so far. You all have done great!
Random Storm Leader: Oh, thank you! We did try.
That was me! Rachel (another storm leader) and I drove Brandon from the airport to dinner at JordanCon, and we talked WoT costuming on the way. Rachel had found a line the previous week about Tairens using uncut gems on their caps & gowns as beading. Which is something we do with some of the shawls we make. Brandon was intrigued & asked us some questions about it. I happened to have a stand of uncut garnets in my purse, and I pulled it out to show him what we were talking about. When I was reading TGS I noticed that there were uncut garnets on Elaida's dress at the dinner with the Sitters. So, of course, I wanted to know if they had been added before or after.

Brandon said it was added in revisions, and it was a nod to me, and a thanks for helping with the costuming.

Quote:

[note from Mato: had some trouble hearing this next question, take it's answer as just a generic "RAFO, not a typo. There were other typos. <insert example>"]
Random Storm Leader: Was Sulin really with Rand or--?
Sanderson: RAFO. I will tell you when there are typos or not. This is a RAFO. <begin paraphrasing> Some typos that have been found are Bashere appearing as Faile's cousin rather than uncle...my hands kept wanting to type cousin instead. <end paraphrasing>
Random Storm Leader: Ah, what about the Amyrlin stole versus shawl?
Sanderson: Typo. My hands kept trying to switch stole and shawl throughout the book. Giving me trouble. You know how it is when you're going along and your hands want to type something different...
Also me. The first bit was about the dudes left behind in Hinderstap. Then I asked about Suilin, and the shawl/stole thing. And it was Tenobia, not Faile. There's also a typo in TGS about Rand's 'hands' instead of 'hand'. Harriet said Maria is already compiling a list of the errors to be corrected in future editions.

We also discussed a lot more stuff at dinner, which I posted at DM already. I can copy it over here too, if y'all are interested. :)

Muirenn 11-16-2009 12:28 PM

From dinner re balefire philosophy:

Talked to Brandon at the stormleader dinner last night. He had a few things to say on this topic:

1. The bruises on Min's neck were not an error. After consulting with Team Jordan, it was determined that indirect effects remain. Rand was the one who strangled Min, not Semirhage directly, so the bruises stayed.

2. Brandon knows of two ways to destroy cuendillar. But he would not confirm if the Domination Band that Rand was wearing was made from cuendillar. He said it was not relevant to what happened.

3. The bracelets did not disappear when Semirhage and Elza were balefired because they were not considered to be intrinsic to their person. It would be the same if someone was holding a book and was balefired, the book would drop to the floor.

From dinner & signing both:

There were some interesting answers at the Dallas signing and storm leader dinner:

Myrddraal are not trollocs who can channel. Thier powers are totally independant from the OP. They really are just throwbacks to the human stock. Harriet added that there are also animal throwbacks, but they just die.

The prophecy of the land being one with the Dragon Reborn, and the Dragon being one with the land will play a big role in these last three books.

When asked if the Rand's wound from the Shadar Logoth dagger was really contained like Samitsu thinks it is, the answer was RAFO.

The black/dark aura around Rand is partially, but not entirely, an effect of TP useage. There will be consequences from Rand's TP use.

The True Power is *usually* not able to be used without the DO's consent. Semirhage certainly thought that the DO intentionally betrayed her.

Regarding Mesaana's alter ego: Brandon said that he had been sent a reliable quote from a Jordan interview that she wasn't anyone we had seen 'on screen' as of KoD(? he may have said CoT? I need to find the quote). Specifically, he said that Laras has been around since New Spring. And would not say if Mesaana was 'on screen' as her alter ego in TGS, because he doesn't want to limit good discussion.

He would not confirm the Seanchan have the tech necessary to make cuendillar, or if ter'angreal copying and would skip the need to also make the copied item into cuendillar. He did say: "If the Seanchan had the knowledge of how to make cuendillar, don't you think we would have seen it by now?"

Rand did not use compulsion, or any other weaves, on Tuon at their meeting. Tuon's refusal was mainly due to her innate sense of self. At this point, she firmly believes that she is the most important person in the world.

Mat going into Hinderstap with an empty cart, and leaving with a fully laden one was a nod to Stone Soup. Plato was referenced as the author of one of the philosophy books listed in the glossary. He said it was a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy....etc.

Suilin appearing with Rand's group was NOT an error. Perrin is approximately a month behind everyone else in the timeline and will play major catchup in ToM.

GonzoTheGreat 11-16-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muirenn
Suilin appearing with Rand's group was NOT an error. Perrin is approximately a month behind everyone else in the timeline and will play major catchup in ToM.

That makes no sense. If Sulin caught up with Rand, then why didn't the Wise Ones (like Amys) not know where Perrin was?
Later on, Nynaeve has to ask Rand how to find Perrin, because the WOs do not seem to have a clue.

If BS is correct about this, then not only Perrin's timeline, but Rand's too is out of whack.

Belazamon 11-16-2009 03:10 PM

A few very interesting points here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muirenn
1. The bruises on Min's neck were not an error. After consulting with Team Jordan, it was determined that indirect effects remain. Rand was the one who strangled Min, not Semirhage directly, so the bruises stayed.

Good to have this answered, it can stop niggling at me now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murienn
Myrddraal are not trollocs who can channel. Thier powers are totally independant from the OP. They really are just throwbacks to the human stock. Harriet added that there are also animal throwbacks, but they just die.

Well, that wasn't actually the theory - so far as I know, none of us claimed that Myrddraal could channel. ;) But from the spirit of the answer, I'm guessing they'd still shoot down the theory - unless, of course, we can convince them that it's a perfect explanation. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murienn
The True Power is *usually* not able to be used without the DO's consent. Semirhage certainly thought that the DO intentionally betrayed her.

Hah, more fuel for my potential faction! Sweet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murienn
Regarding Mesaana's alter ego: Brandon said that he had been sent a reliable quote from a Jordan interview that she wasn't anyone we had seen 'on screen' as of KoD(? he may have said CoT? I need to find the quote). Specifically, he said that Laras has been around since New Spring.

Awwww.

Terez 11-16-2009 03:13 PM

Hey Bela, on that last one, BS is contradicting previous RJ signing reports, so we still need to get someone to ask for clarification on that.

Muirenn 11-16-2009 09:02 PM

Couple more things my husband reminded me of!

Verin does have blood on her hands, but everything she did has been for the greater good.

The ghosts are definitely a result of the Dark One's touch on the unravelling Pattern (Brandon's phrasing).

Oh! And we got Brandon to do a WoTized version of Shatner of the Mount. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1x1YLtRTAY

Terez 11-16-2009 09:15 PM

Thanks Muirenn! Verin was one of the few categories untouched so far, so it's nice to have Brandon quotes in there. :)

Also, I had been theorizing that the ghosts might have something to do with balefire, so it's good to have that cleared up. I wonder if we can ask him if any of the reality-unraveling has to do with balefire, or if it's all the Dark One.

Matoyak 11-16-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muirenn
We discussed this further at the signing, and the consensus was the Egwene probably does not know.

Egwene? You mean Elayne?



Quote:

Originally Posted by Muirenn
That was me! Rachel (another storm leader) and I drove Brandon from the airport to dinner at JordanCon, and we talked WoT costuming on the way. Rachel had found a line the previous week about Tairens using uncut gems on their caps & gowns as beading. Which is something we do with some of the shawls we make. Brandon was intrigued & asked us some questions about it. I happened to have a stand of uncut garnets in my purse, and I pulled it out to show him what we were talking about. When I was reading TGS I noticed that there were uncut garnets on Elaida's dress at the dinner with the Sitters. So, of course, I wanted to know if they had been added before or after.Brandon said it was added in revisions, and it was a nod to me, and a thanks for helping with the costuming.

Oh really? Well I'll be damned...you must be the only Storm Leader there that I did not ask if you were affiliated with TL. Every other one said nobody from TL was there. Bah. Anyways, thanks for clearing that up, I had a hard time hearing it. The dude in the Asha'man garb was talkin' at the time, iirc.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Muirenn
Also me. The first bit was about the dudes left behind in Hinderstap. Then I asked about Suilin, and the shawl/stole thing. And it was Tenobia, not Faile. There's also a typo in TGS about Rand's 'hands' instead of 'hand'. Harriet said Maria is already compiling a list of the errors to be corrected in future editions

Thanks for clearing that bit up for me as well. I had trouble hearing this question as well.

Birgitte 11-17-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

The black/dark aura around Rand is partially, but not entirely, an effect of TP useage. There will be consequences from Rand's TP use.
Yay! I love being right!

Terez 11-17-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birgitte
Yay! I love being right!

I assume that what me means by 'partially, but not entirely' is that the other part is the link with Moridin, since that dark thingy is an advanced side effect of using the True Power, and not a noob one.

Birgitte 11-17-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
I assume that what me means by 'partially, but not entirely' is that the other part is the link with Moridin, since that dark thingy is an advanced side effect of using the True Power, and not a noob one.


Me, too.

EDIT: The consequences probably have something to do with mixing TP usage and ta'verenness. My only explanation for why bad things only are happening around him now.

Isabel 11-17-2009 11:27 PM

Brandon said that the food spoilage was due to the land being one with Rand ;) And RAnd wasn't doing so well at the time.

Terez 03-15-2010 02:08 AM

The question of whether the 'random Stormleader' asked about Elayne or Egwene has been clarified, and it seems that Brandon further discussed the question at the Stormleader dinners. I suspect that the difficulty probably lies in Mato's pronunciation of Egwene's name. Most people pronounce it Eg-ween, but it should rhyme with Elayne.

GonzoTheGreat 03-15-2010 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 89595)
Most people pronounce it Eg-ween, but it should rhyme with Elayne.

Actually, it should rhyme with entwine, but I suspect that RJ didn't know Egwene all that well yet when he decided how to pronounce it.

Terez 03-15-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 89600)
Actually, it should rhyme with entwine

Nope, the glossary says Eg-WAIN. Which should rhyme with Elayne.

GonzoTheGreat 03-15-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 89603)
Nope, the glossary says Eg-WAIN. Which should rhyme with Elayne.

Yes, I already said that RJ got it wrong.

Terez 03-15-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 89604)
Yes, I already said that RJ got it wrong.

It's his character; he can make the pronunciation whatever he wants.

Sarevok 03-15-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 89611)
It's his character; he can make the pronunciation whatever he wants.

Terez, you know who you're arguing with, right? ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.