Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book Tour: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Dallas Signing (Good stuff here) (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2645)

Matoyak 11-14-2009 11:35 PM

Dallas Signing (Good stuff here)
 
Ok, so I got to the Borders late (damn dumb Arlington traffic took forever) so I missed the initial speech Brandon gave. He refused to answer anything relating to tGS or anything that might touch upon it or stuff after tGS in this portion, though, so I didn't miss much. Anyways, when my time to get my book signed came up, I got three questions off. I then hung around and listened in to see what other questions I could hear. I finally got to ask two more of my own. Here's what I got out of this signing: (These are mostly based off of my memories, I didn't have a tape recorder or anything, but these are accurate.)

Mato (AKA Me): OK, just a heads up, I'm from Theoryland so you know I've got a few questions I'm going to have to ask you...
Sanderson: Oh boy...I'm going to have to think about these, aren't I?

Mato
: ~laughs~ OK... Heroes of the Horn, are they corrective mechanisms by themselves, or are they corrective mechanisms by virtue of being Ta'veren?
Sanderson: Heroes are not always Ta'veren. So, yes, they are corrective mechanisms by themselves.

Mato
: OK, number two. Have the visions and other such prophecies about Egwene and the Seanchan (such as the running one and the one with the sword) have they been fulfilled yet?
Sanderson: No, none of those have been fulfilled other than the attack on the White Tower. She still has more to go.

Mato
: Yeah, OK. 3. There have been rumors that you have said that Mr. Jordan did not have anything in his notes about the voice of Lews Therin, whether it was a construct or not. That or that you had sai--[cut off]
Sanderson: I would like to clarify this, thanks for asking. I will NOT say that it was not in the notes. However, Mr. Jordan did NOT want to reveal this information, and therefore I shall not ever either. Mr. Jordan did not want to reveal it.
Harriet: What Brandon said.

Mato
: Oh, ok, well that's all for now. Thanks a lot!
Sanderson: Wow, I was able to answer all three of those questions. Really well thought out, congratulations! I didn't have to RAFO you! You get a silver star.
Mato: Haha, I'll let the guys at Theoryland know that, after all, they're mostly their questions.

Random Storm Leader: Does Elayne know that Allana bonded Rand?
Sanderson: Uh...well... I'll have to check that. MAFO. Good question.

Random Crazy Lady: Is there any chance that Cadsuane might be Ilyena reborn?
Sanderson: I...wha?...First of all, I'm not going to answer that. Second of all...EWW! ... And you can quote me on that! [note from Mato: This was frackin' HILARIOUS. Totally unexpected, and Sanderson was totally shocked over it.]

Mato: Did the meeting between Rand and Moridin for sure happen in TAR or could it have happened in a Vacuole?
Sanderson: I...well. I'm going to partially RAFO this. I will not say it for sure happened in TAR, and I'm not sure whether the other instances of this were TAR either.

[note: this next one is heavily paraphrased. I was not able to hear a good amount of it]
Random Storm Leader: Elaida's dress in the dinner where she beat Egwene, I noticed that you included uncut <insert stone type here...Mato can't recall what it was> stones in her dress.
Sanderson: Ah yes, I added that post-revision remembering your question you had asked me before. I felt it fit in with the technology, and was a good addition. By the way, the Storm Leaders in this particular signing have been the best prepared so far. You all have done great!
Random Storm Leader: Oh, thank you! We did try.

Mato: Can you elaborate on why the voice of Lews Therin was not speaking when Rand and Isha--I mean Moridin were talking? Is it becau--
Sanderson: Ah. Yes, well, I'm going to have to RAFO that one...too close to dealing with the specifics of the voice, sorry.

[note from Mato: had some trouble hearing this next question, take it's answer as just a generic "RAFO, not a typo. There were other typos. <insert example>"]
Random Storm Leader: Was Sulin really with Rand or--?
Sanderson: RAFO. I will tell you when there are typos or not. This is a RAFO. <begin paraphrasing> Some typos that have been found are Bashere appearing as Faile's cousin rather than uncle...my hands kept wanting to type cousin instead. <end paraphrasing>
Random Storm Leader: Ah, what about the Amyrlin stole versus shawl?
Sanderson: Typo. My hands kept trying to switch stole and shawl throughout the book. Giving me trouble. You know how it is when you're going along and your hands want to type something different...
______________________________________________

Well there ya have it! Lots of good information here, the death of a faction war being among one of them. Also, I have official proof that Bela killed Asmodean ;)

For the personalization of my signing I put:

For Mason Matoyak __________ killed Asmodean.
Here's the pic of what he wrote:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Asmoedited.png

Weird Harold 11-14-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
Sanderson: RAFO. I will tell you when there are typos or not. This is a RAFO. Some typos that have been found are Bashere appearing as Faile's cousin rather than uncle...my hands kept wanting to type cousin instead.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

I could have sworn Bashere is Faile's father. Was this a lingual typo or something I'm going to understand when the stupid library quits transporting my hold and puts it on the hold shelf tommorrow or Monday? (Stupid status has been "In transit" since wednesday. :()

Belazamon 11-14-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
Mato[/U]: OK, number two. Have the visions and other such prophecies about Egwene and the Seanchan (such as the running one and the one with the sword) have they been fulfilled yet?
Sanderson: No, none of those have been fulfilled other than the attack on the White Tower. She still has more to go.

Oh well, it was a well-reasoned theory at any rate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato
Mato[/U]: Yeah, OK. 3. There have been rumors that you have said that Mr. Jordan did not have anything in his notes about the voice of Lews Therin, whether it was a construct or not. That or that you had sai--[cut off]
Sanderson: I would like to clarify this, thanks for asking. I will NOT say that it was not in the notes. However, Mr. Jordan did NOT want to reveal this information, and therefore I shall not ever either. Mr. Jordan did not want to reveal it.
Harriet: What Brandon said

Well, ain't that a pisser...?

Isabel 11-14-2009 11:53 PM

Well, than its clear. It is in the notes, but RJ didn't want to reveal it. So we will never know who is correct :)

Now we only need to ask a follow up question: Since RJ didn't want to reveal anything about the voice. Did you write TGS that way, so that both options are still possible?

Matoyak 11-14-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weird Harold
:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

I could have sworn Bashere is Faile's father. Was this a lingual typo or something I'm going to understand when the stupid library quits transporting my hold and puts it on the hold shelf tommorrow or Monday? (Stupid status has been "In transit" since wednesday. :()

Actually, that might be a memory misfire on my part. Tenobia not faile. I had a lot of trouble hearing that particular question, and that second half is mostly paraphrased. He might have said father instead of uncle. I was more interested in the other parts, and one of the storm leaders were talking at the time.

Terez 11-14-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
Mato: ~laughs~ OK... Heroes of the Horn, are they corrective mechanisms by themselves, or are they corrective mechanisms by virtue of being Ta'veren?
Sanderson: Heroes are not always Ta'veren. So, yes, they are corrective mechanisms by themselves.

Okay, I guess this clears up the faction question, if not the issue of how they can be corrective mechanisms in lives where they don't do anything special.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato
Mato: OK, number two. Have the visions and other such prophecies about Egwene and the Seanchan (such as the running one and the one with the sword) have they been fulfilled yet?
Sanderson: No, none of those have been fulfilled other than the attack on the White Tower. She still has more to go.

Yay, Seanchan woman is NOT a metaphor for the Tower attack. Well, I guess you could bandy words with this one, but I think it's pretty clear that's what he meant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato
Mato: Yeah, OK. 3. There have been rumors that you have said that Mr. Jordan did not have anything in his notes about the voice of Lews Therin, whether it was a construct or not. That or that you had sai--[cut off]
Sanderson: I would like to clarify this, thanks for asking. I will NOT say that it was not in the notes. However, Mr. Jordan did NOT want to reveal this information, and therefore I shall not ever either. Mr. Jordan did not want to reveal it.
Harriet: What Brandon said.

Yay! Means there IS a correct answer - they're just not going to tell us what it is. :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato
Mato: Did the meeting between Rand and Moridin for sure happen in TAR or could it have happened in a Vacuole?
Sanderson: I...well. I'm going to partially RAFO this. I will not say it for sure happened in TAR, and I'm not sure whether the other instances of this were TAR either.

Interesting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato
Mato: Can you elaborate on why the voice of Lews Therin was not speaking when Rand and Isha--I mean Moridin were talking? Is it becau--
Sanderson: Ah. Yes, well, I'm going to have to RAFO that one...too close to dealing with the specifics of the voice, sorry.

Yay! Seems like there might be more info to come on this one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isa
So we will never know who is correct

Some of us will know; others will remain hopelessly deluded. ;)

Matoyak 11-14-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato
Mato: Can you elaborate on why the voice of Lews Therin was not speaking when Rand and Isha--I mean Moridin were talking? Is it becau--
Sanderson: Ah. Yes, well, I'm going to have to RAFO that one...too close to dealing with the specifics of the voice, sorry.

Yay! Seems like there might be more info to come on this one?

Probably not. The way he said it indicated it was a done deal, and he didn't want to get into it because it had to do with LTT voice. The way he said it indicated there wouldn't be any more info, but he might have done that on purpose.

My previous posts have been edited.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
if not the issue of how they can be corrective mechanisms in lives where they don't do anything special.

They don't have to be Ta'veren to do something special, Terez. All a Ta'veren does is bend threads around him and get woven by the pattern more harshly. No need to be Ta'veren to do special things...

Tercel 11-15-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
Random Storm Leader: Was Sulin really with Rand or--?
Sanderson: RAFO. I will tell you when there are typos or not. This is a RAFO.

?!? So it was really intentional that Sulin was with Rand. This means either:
1) It isn't Sulin; or
2) The Aiel knew where Perrin was and were using gateways to exchange people, but hadn't told Rand or Cadsuane this.

...so a question for you tGS rereaders: When Cadsuane is trying to find out where Perrin is, are any Aiel Wise Ones around at the time?

Terez 11-15-2009 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
They don't have to be Ta'veren to do something special, Terez. All a Ta'veren does is bend threads around him and get woven by the pattern more harshly. No need to be Ta'veren to do special things...

I didn't say they had to be ta'veren to do something special. Why are you putting words in my mouth? :confused:

Matoyak 11-15-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
I didn't say they had to be ta'veren to do something special. Why are you putting words in my mouth? :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
if not the issue of how they can be corrective mechanisms in lives where they don't do anything special.

That is what you meant, right? :confused: Otherwise I'm not sure how that applies to the Ta'veren and Heroes thing at all?

Terez 11-15-2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
That is what you meant, right? :confused: Otherwise I'm not sure how that applies to the Ta'veren and Heroes thing at all?

Well, we know how ta'veren are corrective mechanisms. The question remains as to how, exactly, Heroes are corrective mechanisms. WH has argued in the past that it is because of things that they do during their lives, but BS seems to be implying that they are corrective mechanisms even in lives where they don't do 'anything extraordinary' at all (see the quote Yellowbeard gave).

Jokeslayer 11-15-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
Well, we know how ta'veren are corrective mechanisms. The question remains as to how, exactly, Heroes are corrective mechanisms. WH has argued in the past that it is because of things that they do during their lives, but BS seems to be implying that they are corrective mechanisms even in lives where they don't do 'anything extraordinary' at all (see the quote Yellowbeard gave).

It's possible they do extraordinary things that don't appear extraordinary but have extraordinary consequences. That probably makes no sense. Even a farmer can be the pebble that sends the avalanche around the village.

Quote:

Mato: Yeah, OK. 3. There have been rumors that you have said that Mr. Jordan did not have anything in his notes about the voice of Lews Therin, whether it was a construct or not. That or that you had sai--[cut off]
Sanderson: I would like to clarify this, thanks for asking. I will NOT say that it was not in the notes. However, Mr. Jordan did NOT want to reveal this information, and therefore I shall not ever either. Mr. Jordan did not want to reveal it.
Harriet: What Brandon said.
Hey, that's what I said :D

GonzoTheGreat 11-15-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
Okay, I guess this clears up the faction question, if not the issue of how they can be corrective mechanisms in lives where they don't do anything special.

Min could be such a Hero, who is doing special things without being actually ta'veren. Of course, some people in Randland do consider her such, but that's because they don't see the difference.

Another, probably more obvious, example would be Moiraine. If she hadn't done what she did, then Rand wouldn't have had any chance of success. So she acted as a corrective mechanism to Ishamael's machinations, without being ta'veren.

Kurtz 11-15-2009 12:08 PM

Brandon nicely deflected the Cadsuane/Ilyena question there. Looks like that one will rumble on.

Terez 11-15-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
Min could be such a Hero, who is doing special things without being actually ta'veren. Of course, some people in Randland do consider her such, but that's because they don't see the difference.

Try looking at what I actually said rather than the words that Mato tried to put in my mouth.

Matoyak 11-15-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
Try looking at what I actually said rather than the words that Mato tried to put in my mouth.

Then I obviously have no clue what you are saying. Not trying to "Put words in your mouth" at all. And apparently it's not just me that isn't understanding what you are saying either...

Terez 11-15-2009 08:09 PM

It's really simple: Brandon said that Heroes are corrective mechanisms just by being who they are, not in the same way as ta'veren. The books and RJ say that Heroes are spun out to be corrective mechanisms. Brandon says that sometimes Heroes live lives where they don't do anything extraordinary at all. Therefore, we need to ask him if they are still corrective mechanisms in these lives where they don't do anything extraordinary, and if so, how they are corrective mechanisms in those lives (because it doesn't really make any sense that they could be corrective mechanisms if they don't do anything extraordinary). I have a feeling that he will answer that they are not corrective mechanisms in those lives, but I could be wrong.

I never even implied that you have to be ta'veren to do something important. :rolleyes:

Matoyak 11-15-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
Brandon says that sometimes Heroes live lives where they don't do anything extraordinary at all.

That's the part I was missing. Makes sense now. :)

Terez 11-15-2009 08:48 PM

That was why I referred you to Yellowbeard's quote in this post. But glad we're straight now.

FelixPax 11-15-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak

Mato[/U]: ~laughs~ OK... Heroes of the Horn, are they corrective mechanisms by themselves, or are they corrective mechanisms by virtue of being Ta'veren?
Sanderson: Heroes are not always Ta'veren. So, yes, they are corrective mechanisms by themselves.



So would Egwene be a future "Hero", seems to be implied towards the ending chapters of tGS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
Mato

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
: OK, number two. Have the visions and other such prophecies about Egwene and the Seanchan (such as the running one and the one with the sword) have they been fulfilled yet?
Sanderson: No, none of those have been fulfilled other than the attack on the White Tower. She still has more to go.



Cool! I was correct about these Dreams, so far. :cool:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
Mato

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
: Yeah, OK. 3. There have been rumors that you have said that Mr. Jordan did not have anything in his notes about the voice of Lews Therin, whether it was a construct or not. That or that you had sai--[cut off]
Sanderson: I would like to clarify this, thanks for asking. I will NOT say that it was not in the notes. However, Mr. Jordan did NOT want to reveal this information, and therefore I shall not ever either. Mr. Jordan did not want to reveal it.
Harriet: What Brandon said.
[U]

Consider the conclusion of tGS, I almost wonder if the champion of the light and shadow are one? Is Rand, Moridin, L.T.T all the very same person? L.T.T. being a type of split personality, because Rand didn't want to mentally accept that he is the Dragon Reborn, for real-- all the pain the Dragon caused over the years.

Yes, I'm entertaining the idea that possibly Moridin is tied into Rand? Why ever consider this far out idea? Because of the "Halo of Darkness" chapters. However, the evil that Hurin later smells coming from Rand maybe also an evil and darkness a kin to that of Shadar Logoth. Meaning Rand might very well have within his soul, the evil of Mordeth, the evil of the Shadow, and memory of the light (love, joy)?

The really wild speculation here, is whether Rand/Moridin/evil taint of (Mordeth's)Shador Logoth are similar to Isam/Luc/Slayer? Two souls, two bodies, three names? Coming to one essence in the end? Err...Rand needs one essence, soul to win--whether its the light (Rand), evil of the shadow (Moridin), or evil that hates the shadow & the light (Mordeth). In Luc's own case, the shadow won that battle.

Is this make-up of Rand/Moridin/Mordeth (wound) partially why Rand is foretold to have 3 wives, lovers by the Wise Ones & Nicola? Just enough close lovers to overcome by one in number, the evilness contained within Rand now, by Moridin & Mordeth, to remember love, joy, happiness and the light in the darkest of times?

I'm not sure what to think about all this at the moment, seriously. But I will at least consider it, seeing that L.T.T essence seems to of been a type of split personality disorder of Rand's, because of his own struggle to accept that he is Dragon Reborn's soul, and accept as his as own all those past re-births memories. Since Rand has been enlightened now, L.T.T shouldn't exist in the future.


Quote:

Originally Posted by =Matoyak
Random Storm Leader: Does Elayne know that Allana bonded Rand?
Sanderson: Uh...well... I'll have to check that. MAFO. Good question.

Yes, didn't Rand tell Elayne in person that Alanna bonded him first, as one reason why they shouldn't be able to bond Rand in Caemlyn--Min, Aviendha, Elayne.

Brandon should of known this answer already; sounds like he's playing it safe. ;)


Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak
Mato: Did the meeting between Rand and Moridin for sure happen in TAR or could it have happened in a Vacuole?
Sanderson: I...well. I'm going to partially RAFO this. I will not say it for sure happened in TAR, and I'm not sure whether the other instances of this were TAR either.

I'm going to speculate bigtime it occurred within Rand's own brain, laugh, just like L.T.T did too.

Matoyak 11-16-2009 12:12 AM

@FelixPax: one giant "Wut?"

Slightly off-topic: When I was waiting for my turn to get in line, I started browsing the fantasy section of the Borders. I accidentally passed up the fantasy/scifi section and ended up in the horror section. I glance down the isle and see a piece of paper taped to a familiar looking book. turns out, someone had moved the Twilight books into the horror section and taped a piece of paper to them that said "Moved to horror for quality of writing". I so wish I had a camera or a camera phone so I could have taken a picture of that...I told my mom about it and she sent back "LMAO. Tell me about it..." (She barely got through the first book, and said that she'd read better writing when she was a 6th grade English teacher...)

Terez 11-16-2009 01:05 AM

This has been added to the interview database. Good work, Mato. ;)

Muirenn 11-16-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak

[U
Random Storm Leader[/U]: Does Elayne know that Allana bonded Rand?
Sanderson: Uh...well... I'll have to check that. MAFO. Good question.

We discussed this further at the signing, and the consensus was the Egwene probably does not know.

Quote:

[note: this next one is heavily paraphrased. I was not able to hear a good amount of it]
Random Storm Leader: Elaida's dress in the dinner where she beat Egwene, I noticed that you included uncut <insert stone type here...Mato can't recall what it was> stones in her dress.
Sanderson: Ah yes, I added that post-revision remembering your question you had asked me before. I felt it fit in with the technology, and was a good addition. By the way, the Storm Leaders in this particular signing have been the best prepared so far. You all have done great!
Random Storm Leader: Oh, thank you! We did try.
That was me! Rachel (another storm leader) and I drove Brandon from the airport to dinner at JordanCon, and we talked WoT costuming on the way. Rachel had found a line the previous week about Tairens using uncut gems on their caps & gowns as beading. Which is something we do with some of the shawls we make. Brandon was intrigued & asked us some questions about it. I happened to have a stand of uncut garnets in my purse, and I pulled it out to show him what we were talking about. When I was reading TGS I noticed that there were uncut garnets on Elaida's dress at the dinner with the Sitters. So, of course, I wanted to know if they had been added before or after.

Brandon said it was added in revisions, and it was a nod to me, and a thanks for helping with the costuming.

Quote:

[note from Mato: had some trouble hearing this next question, take it's answer as just a generic "RAFO, not a typo. There were other typos. <insert example>"]
Random Storm Leader: Was Sulin really with Rand or--?
Sanderson: RAFO. I will tell you when there are typos or not. This is a RAFO. <begin paraphrasing> Some typos that have been found are Bashere appearing as Faile's cousin rather than uncle...my hands kept wanting to type cousin instead. <end paraphrasing>
Random Storm Leader: Ah, what about the Amyrlin stole versus shawl?
Sanderson: Typo. My hands kept trying to switch stole and shawl throughout the book. Giving me trouble. You know how it is when you're going along and your hands want to type something different...
Also me. The first bit was about the dudes left behind in Hinderstap. Then I asked about Suilin, and the shawl/stole thing. And it was Tenobia, not Faile. There's also a typo in TGS about Rand's 'hands' instead of 'hand'. Harriet said Maria is already compiling a list of the errors to be corrected in future editions.

We also discussed a lot more stuff at dinner, which I posted at DM already. I can copy it over here too, if y'all are interested. :)

Muirenn 11-16-2009 12:28 PM

From dinner re balefire philosophy:

Talked to Brandon at the stormleader dinner last night. He had a few things to say on this topic:

1. The bruises on Min's neck were not an error. After consulting with Team Jordan, it was determined that indirect effects remain. Rand was the one who strangled Min, not Semirhage directly, so the bruises stayed.

2. Brandon knows of two ways to destroy cuendillar. But he would not confirm if the Domination Band that Rand was wearing was made from cuendillar. He said it was not relevant to what happened.

3. The bracelets did not disappear when Semirhage and Elza were balefired because they were not considered to be intrinsic to their person. It would be the same if someone was holding a book and was balefired, the book would drop to the floor.

From dinner & signing both:

There were some interesting answers at the Dallas signing and storm leader dinner:

Myrddraal are not trollocs who can channel. Thier powers are totally independant from the OP. They really are just throwbacks to the human stock. Harriet added that there are also animal throwbacks, but they just die.

The prophecy of the land being one with the Dragon Reborn, and the Dragon being one with the land will play a big role in these last three books.

When asked if the Rand's wound from the Shadar Logoth dagger was really contained like Samitsu thinks it is, the answer was RAFO.

The black/dark aura around Rand is partially, but not entirely, an effect of TP useage. There will be consequences from Rand's TP use.

The True Power is *usually* not able to be used without the DO's consent. Semirhage certainly thought that the DO intentionally betrayed her.

Regarding Mesaana's alter ego: Brandon said that he had been sent a reliable quote from a Jordan interview that she wasn't anyone we had seen 'on screen' as of KoD(? he may have said CoT? I need to find the quote). Specifically, he said that Laras has been around since New Spring. And would not say if Mesaana was 'on screen' as her alter ego in TGS, because he doesn't want to limit good discussion.

He would not confirm the Seanchan have the tech necessary to make cuendillar, or if ter'angreal copying and would skip the need to also make the copied item into cuendillar. He did say: "If the Seanchan had the knowledge of how to make cuendillar, don't you think we would have seen it by now?"

Rand did not use compulsion, or any other weaves, on Tuon at their meeting. Tuon's refusal was mainly due to her innate sense of self. At this point, she firmly believes that she is the most important person in the world.

Mat going into Hinderstap with an empty cart, and leaving with a fully laden one was a nod to Stone Soup. Plato was referenced as the author of one of the philosophy books listed in the glossary. He said it was a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy....etc.

Suilin appearing with Rand's group was NOT an error. Perrin is approximately a month behind everyone else in the timeline and will play major catchup in ToM.

GonzoTheGreat 11-16-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muirenn
Suilin appearing with Rand's group was NOT an error. Perrin is approximately a month behind everyone else in the timeline and will play major catchup in ToM.

That makes no sense. If Sulin caught up with Rand, then why didn't the Wise Ones (like Amys) not know where Perrin was?
Later on, Nynaeve has to ask Rand how to find Perrin, because the WOs do not seem to have a clue.

If BS is correct about this, then not only Perrin's timeline, but Rand's too is out of whack.

Belazamon 11-16-2009 03:10 PM

A few very interesting points here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muirenn
1. The bruises on Min's neck were not an error. After consulting with Team Jordan, it was determined that indirect effects remain. Rand was the one who strangled Min, not Semirhage directly, so the bruises stayed.

Good to have this answered, it can stop niggling at me now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murienn
Myrddraal are not trollocs who can channel. Thier powers are totally independant from the OP. They really are just throwbacks to the human stock. Harriet added that there are also animal throwbacks, but they just die.

Well, that wasn't actually the theory - so far as I know, none of us claimed that Myrddraal could channel. ;) But from the spirit of the answer, I'm guessing they'd still shoot down the theory - unless, of course, we can convince them that it's a perfect explanation. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murienn
The True Power is *usually* not able to be used without the DO's consent. Semirhage certainly thought that the DO intentionally betrayed her.

Hah, more fuel for my potential faction! Sweet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murienn
Regarding Mesaana's alter ego: Brandon said that he had been sent a reliable quote from a Jordan interview that she wasn't anyone we had seen 'on screen' as of KoD(? he may have said CoT? I need to find the quote). Specifically, he said that Laras has been around since New Spring.

Awwww.

Terez 11-16-2009 03:13 PM

Hey Bela, on that last one, BS is contradicting previous RJ signing reports, so we still need to get someone to ask for clarification on that.

Muirenn 11-16-2009 09:02 PM

Couple more things my husband reminded me of!

Verin does have blood on her hands, but everything she did has been for the greater good.

The ghosts are definitely a result of the Dark One's touch on the unravelling Pattern (Brandon's phrasing).

Oh! And we got Brandon to do a WoTized version of Shatner of the Mount. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1x1YLtRTAY

Terez 11-16-2009 09:15 PM

Thanks Muirenn! Verin was one of the few categories untouched so far, so it's nice to have Brandon quotes in there. :)

Also, I had been theorizing that the ghosts might have something to do with balefire, so it's good to have that cleared up. I wonder if we can ask him if any of the reality-unraveling has to do with balefire, or if it's all the Dark One.

Matoyak 11-16-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muirenn
We discussed this further at the signing, and the consensus was the Egwene probably does not know.

Egwene? You mean Elayne?



Quote:

Originally Posted by Muirenn
That was me! Rachel (another storm leader) and I drove Brandon from the airport to dinner at JordanCon, and we talked WoT costuming on the way. Rachel had found a line the previous week about Tairens using uncut gems on their caps & gowns as beading. Which is something we do with some of the shawls we make. Brandon was intrigued & asked us some questions about it. I happened to have a stand of uncut garnets in my purse, and I pulled it out to show him what we were talking about. When I was reading TGS I noticed that there were uncut garnets on Elaida's dress at the dinner with the Sitters. So, of course, I wanted to know if they had been added before or after.Brandon said it was added in revisions, and it was a nod to me, and a thanks for helping with the costuming.

Oh really? Well I'll be damned...you must be the only Storm Leader there that I did not ask if you were affiliated with TL. Every other one said nobody from TL was there. Bah. Anyways, thanks for clearing that up, I had a hard time hearing it. The dude in the Asha'man garb was talkin' at the time, iirc.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Muirenn
Also me. The first bit was about the dudes left behind in Hinderstap. Then I asked about Suilin, and the shawl/stole thing. And it was Tenobia, not Faile. There's also a typo in TGS about Rand's 'hands' instead of 'hand'. Harriet said Maria is already compiling a list of the errors to be corrected in future editions

Thanks for clearing that bit up for me as well. I had trouble hearing this question as well.

Birgitte 11-17-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

The black/dark aura around Rand is partially, but not entirely, an effect of TP useage. There will be consequences from Rand's TP use.
Yay! I love being right!

Terez 11-17-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birgitte
Yay! I love being right!

I assume that what me means by 'partially, but not entirely' is that the other part is the link with Moridin, since that dark thingy is an advanced side effect of using the True Power, and not a noob one.

Birgitte 11-17-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez
I assume that what me means by 'partially, but not entirely' is that the other part is the link with Moridin, since that dark thingy is an advanced side effect of using the True Power, and not a noob one.


Me, too.

EDIT: The consequences probably have something to do with mixing TP usage and ta'verenness. My only explanation for why bad things only are happening around him now.

Isabel 11-17-2009 11:27 PM

Brandon said that the food spoilage was due to the land being one with Rand ;) And RAnd wasn't doing so well at the time.

Terez 03-15-2010 02:08 AM

The question of whether the 'random Stormleader' asked about Elayne or Egwene has been clarified, and it seems that Brandon further discussed the question at the Stormleader dinners. I suspect that the difficulty probably lies in Mato's pronunciation of Egwene's name. Most people pronounce it Eg-ween, but it should rhyme with Elayne.

GonzoTheGreat 03-15-2010 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 89595)
Most people pronounce it Eg-ween, but it should rhyme with Elayne.

Actually, it should rhyme with entwine, but I suspect that RJ didn't know Egwene all that well yet when he decided how to pronounce it.

Terez 03-15-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 89600)
Actually, it should rhyme with entwine

Nope, the glossary says Eg-WAIN. Which should rhyme with Elayne.

GonzoTheGreat 03-15-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 89603)
Nope, the glossary says Eg-WAIN. Which should rhyme with Elayne.

Yes, I already said that RJ got it wrong.

Terez 03-15-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 89604)
Yes, I already said that RJ got it wrong.

It's his character; he can make the pronunciation whatever he wants.

Sarevok 03-15-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 89611)
It's his character; he can make the pronunciation whatever he wants.

Terez, you know who you're arguing with, right? ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.