Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book Tour: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Driving Brandon Sanderson (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2714)

Weird Harold 11-23-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matoyak (Post 77735)
Bore makes me think of a nice clean edge that can "heal"/be filled in smoothly. Ripping a hole is much messier and qould take more effort to fix...
Or that's how I've helped picture the difference...

Actually, I think Rand's use of "bore" in that quote is misleading. As I understand the process, it's more more like inserting a needle through a piece of cloth or using a Fid to splice a rope; the strands of the fabric or rope are moved apart without damaging them or weakening them. That's almost the exact opposite of ripping a hole.

padfoot89 11-24-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weird Harold
Actually, I think Rand's use of "bore" in that quote is misleading. As I understand the process, it's more more like inserting a needle through a piece of cloth or using a Fid to splice a rope; the strands of the fabric or rope are moved apart without damaging them or weakening them. That's almost the exact opposite of ripping a hole.

That makes sense as Moghedien says that women would be sucked into the space between threads or something similar.

Matoyak 11-24-2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weird Harold (Post 77744)

I like that interpretation much better.

SauceyBlueConfetti 11-25-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodas (Post 77582)
I do recall theories that it was her silver jewelry mentioned in tGH Ch48, which has not been present on Cyndane.

I don't recall this. Interesting idea.

Crispin's Crispian 11-25-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodas (Post 77582)
Interesting.

So what I'm getting is it's possible that the Finn originally gave Lanfear ter'angrael to enhance her in some fashion. I do recall theories that it was her silver jewelry mentioned in tGH Ch48, which has not been present on Cyndane.

CC is not going to like this though, I don't think :D

Are you kidding? I love this. He basically admitted the possibility that she had been enhanced. Granted, the bewilderment I read into Tam's transcript is disconcerting, but what's even more exciting is that we get to find out the truth.

Please keep in mind that my original theory only speculated on the 'Finns as one possibility, not the answer.

But that's all neither here nor there compared to Tam's awesomeness. You rock, Boss, and it should be clear to everyone why you're in charge around here (ahem...if it wasn't already). Damn that was good.

Birgitte 11-25-2009 06:35 PM

I've been talking to Sini too much. I keep wanting to say "Lanfear was "enhanced," ifyaknowwhatImean. HUGE 'tracts of land.' Bought and paid for, of course."

Davian93 11-25-2009 07:21 PM

Another good "interview" strategy would have been to have another person in the car who could sympathize with BS while you were rough on him. Make him want to tell the nice one. Also, shine a bright light in his eyes and mess with his sleep cycle for a few days.

How you had him in a vehicle for that long and he's now not locked away at a secure location for further questioning is beyond me.

Yuri33 11-25-2009 08:32 PM

Another effective strategy I've heard about is to invite him to wrap a towel around his head, you know, because of the sun and hot weather, and then make sure he stays cool and has plenty to drink by continuously pouring water on his face.

You cold also get him a nice drink and offer to sprinkle some sodium thiopental in it for taste.

I'm sure he'd loosen his tongue a bit more then...

Davian93 11-25-2009 08:59 PM

What the next WoT Q & A might look like...

http://rogerhollander.files.wordpres...boarding-2.jpg

Sodas 11-25-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian (Post 78097)
Are you kidding? I love this. He basically admitted the possibility that she had been enhanced. Granted, the bewilderment I read into Tam's transcript is disconcerting, but what's even more exciting is that we get to find out the truth.

Please keep in mind that my original theory only speculated on the 'Finns as one possibility, not the answer.

But that's all neither here nor there compared to Tam's awesomeness. You rock, Boss, and it should be clear to everyone why you're in charge around here (ahem...if it wasn't already). Damn that was good.

Yes, I was kidding, I knew you'd love it. :)

It was near vindication, almost... And I gotta say that it makes sense. Always have.

It was just that this conversation was always in general terms, now we know it might have been something she was physically wearing.

Trutino 11-25-2009 10:04 PM

Poor Brandon! Let's cut him a little slack, eh? I know it's just kidding around, but he seems like a good guy who's pretty exhausted.

Davian93 11-25-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trutino (Post 78147)
Poor Brandon! Let's cut him a little slack, eh? I know it's just kidding around, but he seems like a good guy who's pretty exhausted.

You're new here. This is how we show affection.

Brandon has been absolutely awesome since he decided to take on this challenge. He gets nothing but respect from me and the rest of TL.

Jokeslayer 11-25-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 78149)
You're new here. This is how we show affection.

Brandon has been absolutely awesome since he decided to take on this challenge. He gets nothing but respect from me and the rest of TL.

I believe he also gets to keep the towel.

Isabel 11-25-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokeslayer (Post 78151)

He reads fantasy and sci-fi, so he should have his own towel with him :) :)

Crispin's Crispian 11-30-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokeslayer (Post 78151)

Just saw this. Nicely done, sir, nicely done. I'd rep you, but apparently you're too funny for that.