Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book Tour: The Gathering Storm (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Resolving MAFO (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2721)

kcf 11-23-2009 10:28 AM

Resolving MAFO

So, how are all the MAFO questions from the tour going to be resolved? I'm sure Brandon remembers a few, but I doubt he remembers anywhere close to most of them.

I know that Peter and Maria lurk on forums a fair amount - do you think they are collecting them directly? Does someone need to take on the task of collecting up all the MAFO's and passing them on? (I'm not volunteering for that)

GonzoTheGreat 11-23-2009 11:10 AM

The rather obvious answer to that is: read and find out.
Apart from that it's a good question to which I do not have an answer either.

Spasmodean 11-23-2009 11:20 AM

There needs to be a mafo.com

Tamyrlin 11-23-2009 12:18 PM

Will be sending an email out

in a few days, now that the Tour is over.

Terez 11-23-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcf (Post 77535)
So, how are all the MAFO questions from the tour going to be resolved? I'm sure Brandon remembers a few, but I doubt he remembers anywhere close to most of them.

I know that Peter and Maria lurk on forums a fair amount - do you think they are collecting them directly? Does someone need to take on the task of collecting up all the MAFO's and passing them on? (I'm not volunteering for that)

I have all of them in the database - they're pretty easy to collect.

Tamyrlin 11-23-2009 02:30 PM

Ok - post here what I'm missing - these are the ones I found

Matt- Question: Did Robert Jordan leave a power to time comparison, as to how much time is burned back on a thread using balefire. Is there a calculation that says x amount of power will burn back x amount of time on a thread?

Brandon: M.Answer - F.O – Maria and Find Out. What he did leave, he left a lot of stuff, there is discussion of these things in the notes. I need to look and see if there is an actual equation. He was very focused on strength of the power and things like that. He has probably told you before, I think I’ve seen a copy of that on notes and things. He did leave scales on exactly how powerful each person is…

---

Question: At the darkfriend social, Carridin is given orders by Ishamael that he can’t remember. Later on in Ebou Dar, he sees Mat out the window and he sort of goes into a trance, sees more imagery, and when he snaps out of it, time is stopped and Sammael is in the room. How did this happen? Was Sammael paged somehow when Carridin’s orders were triggered?

Answer: MAFO – Maria and find out. This means he will answer the question, but he wants to check with Maria first to make sure he has the details straight.

---

Question: Does Elayne know that Allana bonded Rand?

Answer: Uh...well... I'll have to check that. MAFO. Good question.

---

Question Did Graendal use compulsion on Ituralde when they met previously in LOC? Is it still there?

Answer: MAFO. ---This lead to quite a bit of discussion. Basically, Graendal pretty much uses compulsion on everyone she interacts with. He also asked if it had been revealed that King Asalam’s (sp?) letters were revealed to be fake. I went into our discussion here and Dom’s interpretation in particular. Brandon seemed to like it. He also said that if Ituralde was compulsed, that it’s still there – Rand’s ta’vern does not have the power to break compulsion. And he said that it’s certain that Ituralde was under the influence of Graendal.

---

Question: Was Ishamael partially, or was he responsible for the initiation of the three oaths. Was he a part of what brought them about?

Answer: That’s a MAFO. Type that one out. That’s a MAFO.

---

Question Can you clear up the timeline issues? How do Mat, Perrin, Rand, and Egwene all match up in the timeline?

Answer: TGS begins sometime in April. It ends around the end of June/beginning of July. However, Perrin advanced very little – only about 2 weeks. Mat advanced a bit more, but was still about a month behind Rand and Egwene (this gets an astrix as a MAFO), but Mat traveled to Caemlyn about 30 days before the end of the book – he emphasized 30 days and asked if I understood the significance of that – I said that I do. (Interpretation: Mat will open Verin’s letter very early in ToM). Tuon’s timeline jumps around the most. In KOD she ended about a month ahead of everyone else. There were probably (MAFO) about 2 weeks between her meeting with Rand and the launch of the attack on the WT.

---

Matt: Ok…which brings up the following questions about the Wheel and its relationship to souls, talents, abilities and channeling. Is the Wheel responsible for giving or weaving in Talents and Abilities to a particular life, or are they like channeling, attached to the soul?

Brandon: That’s an excellent question. I’m going to have to RAFO that…it’s actually more of a MAFO. What’s your asking is would someone who is reborn into the Pattern will have the same talents again?

Matt: Right. Or does…the Wheel, we obviously know it is very capable of affecting the Pattern, so the question is does it give and take when it comes to abilities and talents it needs?

Brandon: Yeah, right, I will have to MAFO that.

---

Matt: Ok, so can the Wheel give an individual life the ability to channel, if the soul does not come to that life with an inborn ability to learn or a spark? Can the Wheel give them that?

Brandon: Again, I will have to MAFO this whole thing. I will have to go and look. I don’t know if someone is necessarily always born with the ability to channel, if they are in every Age...

Matt: ...there is a quote I brought that we asked at DragonCon, Jordan said: “I dont think I have said if you are born with the spark you would have the have the spark again. I have said if you were born with the ability to channel, to learn or with the spark, you will, when your soul is born again, you will have the ability again, whether with the spark or without….” So, in essence he said it’s inherent you have the ability. Whether or not you Spark or you can learn it that depends on the life.

Brandon: My instinct knowing how Jim wrote and knowing the parallels in the notes would be that he would parallel the other talents along the same lines. A wolf brother then would always have the ability to become a wolf brother and other things along those lines. I’m going off of instinct so that is an asterisked answer. I can MAFO that and look it up and we can see what we can find, but he did like to parallel a lot of these things...

Matt: ...ok, so at the end of that answer he said this…we were asking a specific question about stilling and burning out…he said, “And neither burning out or stilling affects that except in this lifetime, your current lifetime”. In other words…

Brandon: ...that is consistent...

Matt: …it doesn’t affect your souls ability, your soul’s connection. So stilling and burning out do not affect the ability to channel, which seems to be integral to the soul as it pertains to a new life. That being said, Aran'gar and Osan'gar, they were transmigrated and we see that they can channel in their new bodies, which makes sense because the ability comes with the soul…

Brandon: ...and because of that if you were male before and reborn (in a female body)…you are channeling the wrong power…

Matt: ...exactly…he was transmigrated into a different body, but still channeling the same power the soul inherits. So considering Jordan's statement about stilling and burning out not affecting the channeling ability of the new life of a soul, is the same for the new life of a soul transmigrated?

Brandon: I’m going to say that transmigrated…if you were burned out and transmigrated you would still be burned out, is my guess.

Matt: Is that a MAFO question? Or…

Brandon: ...that is my guess and you can MAFO it if you want to send it to me, but that is a “I’m pretty sure” answer.

---

Question: Who can draw more of the one power, Semirhage or Graendal

Answer: MAFO

(The same question was posed of Nynaeve and Graendal and was MAFO'd at dinner that night)

---

Q: Do Rand and Egwene’s timelines end up at the same time at the end of The Gathering Storm? Secondly, can you give us some idea as to when that is?

A: Yes they end up at the same time. I’ll have to give you a MAFO for an exact date for the second, but basically it is sometime in late June early July. In addition Tuon’s scene with Rand was about 3 or 4 weeks before her last scene in the book.

Matoyak 11-23-2009 04:21 PM

Paraphrased:
Q: Does Elayne know Allana bonded Rand?
A: MAFO

Terez 11-23-2009 05:07 PM

He has that one already...

Matoyak 11-23-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 77698)
He has that one already...

He edited it in, pretty sure...

Terez 11-23-2009 05:58 PM

In any case, we don't need to MAFO on that one. It's in the books - he told them when they bonded him, in Winter's Heart, either Ideas of Importance or A Lily in Winter (can't remember which).

Matoyak 11-23-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 77710)
In any case, we don't need to MAFO on that one. It's in the books - he told them when they bonded him, in Winter's Heart, either Ideas of Importance or A Lily in Winter (can't remember which).

~shrug~ it's just one of the ones that came up at the signing I was at. I think the questioner might have actually meant Egwene, though, from what the other TLer here said about their talk afterwards.

Terez 11-23-2009 06:02 PM

Yeah, I noticed. I think Egwene probably doesn't know, but not sure. Elayne definitely knows.

Tamyrlin 11-23-2009 06:05 PM

No had that one

But I did edit in two at the bottom. ;) And I'm looking into that faction issue. We just upgraded VBulletin this weekend and fixing factions is next on the list.

Matoyak 11-23-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin (Post 77715)
But I did edit in two at the bottom. ;) And I'm looking into that faction issue. We just upgraded VBulletin this weekend and fixing factions is next on the list.

Well huh. I did a ctrl-F search to look for it, guess I hit next one too many times. I stand corrected. ~shrug~
And thankee kindly about the faction thing :D

WinespringBrother 11-23-2009 09:33 PM

Maria actually MAFO'd a question that I was just curious about:

Why did Gawyn duel with the warders using real swords?

She thought it might be to keep their edge or that they had no practice swords, but wasn't sure.