Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 13: Towers of Midnight (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Prologue discussion (SPOILERS!) (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3964)

Terez 09-20-2010 11:48 PM

Prologue discussion (SPOILERS!)

Ahhhhhh, victory. And weirdness...I wonder if RJ was pulling our legs about the bubble of evil in Cairhien?

And Graendal...not surprised, though I figured she was dead at first. I've wavered back and forth on it a lot in the last year.

Terez 09-21-2010 12:00 AM

Also, the last POV made me cry.

I'm going back to read it again now. Read it too fast...

halo6819 09-21-2010 12:04 AM

i only got up to gthe grendal pov on my break. cant wait to read the rest

arioch 09-21-2010 12:18 AM

So who killed Asmodean? :p :rolleyes:

Marie Curie 7 09-21-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 111140)
And Graendal...not surprised, though I figured she was dead at first. I've wavered back and forth on it a lot in the last year.

Yeah, I pretty much convinced myself she was still alive after my recent re-listen of Lord of Chaos.

But Aran'gar and Delana... I kind of hoped that Egwene would be able to take them out or something, especially after all Halima's head massages. :) Oh well.

The Seeker 09-21-2010 12:37 AM

Wow. Im only part way through but the Graendal scene was awesome. Was not quite expecting that.

Marie Curie 7 09-21-2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 111140)
Ahhhhhh, victory. And weirdness...I wonder if RJ was pulling our legs about the bubble of evil in Cairhien?

Dunno. The glossary of TPoD is pretty explicit, unless you consider that RJ put the term 'bubble of evil' in quotes to imply that perhaps it wasn't a bubble of evil after all...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE: Path of Daggers
CHAPTER: Glossary

Hanlon, Daved: .... From there Hanlon took the White Lions to Cairhien under orders to further the rebellion agains the Dragon Reborn. The White Lions were destroyed by a "bubble of evil," and Hanlon has been ordered back to Caemlyn for purposes as yet unknown.

I would have said before this that it was in quotes simply as a reference to the specific effect...

Ahumm 09-21-2010 12:57 AM

That was great.

Too short by around 57 chapters and an epilogue, though.

The Seeker 09-21-2010 01:00 AM

So much is covered in this prologue. I knew we were gonna see some new powers from Fain but I wasnt quite expecting that. It seems his powers are evolving with him and he no longer has to touch someone to affect them. This mist of his is powerful.

arioch 09-21-2010 01:22 AM

The Cairhien "bubble of evil" sounded too much like Mashadar to me to begin with.

Tamyrlin 09-21-2010 01:36 AM

Red herring

Quote:

Originally Posted by arioch (Post 111155)
So who killed Asmodean? :p :rolleyes:

Aviendha or Lanfear of course...just someone other than Graendal. Thankfully, this is not much but it did make me grimace.

Terez 09-21-2010 01:37 AM

I was thinking RJ said in interview that it was a bubble of evil. But that was the wind at Fal Dara... :)

I ended up not putting the Mashadar hypothesis into the theory because everyone seemed to dismiss the idea out of hand, so I figured I'd just establish that there were a number of ways his character might have evolved to be able to pull it off, and that his character seemed scripted for this purpose...to stab both sides at once.

Also...the march toward Rand's death is on. :D Fain has a plan...but I doubt Fain will kill him. Rand's soul would be corrupted.

WinespringBrother 09-21-2010 02:00 AM

Not quite what I expected. I thought Graendal had lived, but she is cleared as the killer of you know who, since we don't have any indications that she has been punished by the GL (unless of course the GL had demoted Asmodean before his death :cool:) Also neat to see a new weave!

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Fain did not send the Trollocs to Tear, since it seems he wants to kill Rand with his own 2 hands. Rand is gonna need a lot of balefire to deal with him now LOL

I think Perrin will end up running with the wolves after all. Just a gut feeling, not enough to go on from that scene, though it was pretty cool.

Galad is stepping up finally. Now we have to see how the WC's team up with Perrin to deal with the ?'ers.

And nice shout out to TWOK in the Kandori Tower scene (won't mention more due to possible spoilers)

JaconKin 09-21-2010 02:04 AM

Quite good, the Graendal sequence obviously the best. Though I'm not surprised that Graendal was able to escape, in the end Rand was still able to get another Forsaken taken care even if it wasn't his intended target.

The Perrin scene was interesting and I wonder who it was that was laughing at the end, Isam/Slayer/Lord Luc, or was it perhaps Moridin?

As far as Fain is concerned, shrugs, just depends upon how RJ intends to use him and which way he will go, will he end up being the most important character a la Gollum?

The last scene was good and with the Borderlander army being miles south, how much protection are the Borderlands actually gong to get, what is to stop the forces from just flooding the south?

Tamyrlin 09-21-2010 02:06 AM

Loved the Fain section

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinespringBrother (Post 111172)
Not quite what I expected. I thought Graendal had lived, but she is cleared as the killer of you know who, since we don't have any indications that she has been punished by the GL (unless of course the GL had demoted Asmodean before his death :cool:) Also neat to see a new weave!

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Fain did not send the Trollocs to Tear, since it seems he wants to kill Rand with his own 2 hands. Rand is gonna need a lot of balefire to deal with him now LOL

I think Perrin will end up running with the wolves after all. Just a gut feeling, not enough to go on from that scene, though it was pretty cool.

Galad is stepping up finally. Now we have to see how the WC's team up with Perrin to deal with the ?'ers.

And nice shout out to TWOK in the Kandori Tower scene (won't mention more due to possible spoilers)

It was hard not to enjoy how wickedly awesome Fain is now - his PoV was great. Of course, the Graendal part will have everyone talking about Asmodean. Graendal supporters will say case closed. Non Graendal supporters will say in your dreams. And on it will go - but a great part nonetheless. I wanted her to be gone, badly, but it's nice to see that some Forsaken are smarter than others (and waiting for Luckers to come along - to remind him that at the end of his entry for the WoT FAQ on this, even he didn't believe the idea to be true.) I'd love to see her try to take out some of Rand's "women." Galad - I've given the guy crap, but it's nice to get into his head in this scene - I now prefer him over Gawyn, which surprises me. And a great, touching way to end the prologue. Got the chills a few times when I read it.

Terez 09-21-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinespringBrother (Post 111172)

Ah, but those attacks served the purpose of pushing Rand toward Shayol Ghul, where Fain wants him. Also, Mashadar pretty much confirms it; Sammael's soul was corrupted by Mashadar, which is why he couldn't be transmigrated.

JaconKin 09-21-2010 02:12 AM

Galad's character I've always enjoyed for the most part and I enjoyed his scene as well. Unlike his brother who is a hot head and currently is nothing more than a bully, Galad at least still has a cool head even in the most extreme moments.

Also it is rather interesting to see the contrasting differences between the two, at least he is willing to question matters more deeply.

It is also interesting in this sequence, we see Galad doing exactly what Egwene had to do with the Tower, trying to keep the Children togetehr without it coming to killing other Children.

jana 09-21-2010 03:04 AM

I enjoyed them all except Perrin. Graendal's was best, obviously. I'll probably go read it again after I post. Now it's even more likely that she's doing something with Elayne. I'm so happy she's alive.

And I want Perrin to just go away. Everyone's gone through more than he has, and he just won't quit moaning. I don't even like to read his PoVs anymore. I hope something drastic happens early in the book to make him more enjoyable to read. Maybe if there is enough action with Slayer he won't have time to cry. Hopper said it best: "Problems are not amusing, Young Bull. But you are climbing back and forth over the same wall."

Yossarian 09-21-2010 03:35 AM

First thoughts...I guess I'm glad that my hunch Graendal was still alive was proved right. It's nice to be right for once. Though her escape didn't happen how I thought it would, it was still cool--and ominous, to say the least--to read how it all went down.

I wanted more Lan and less Perrin. Count me as another who thought the whole Wolfbrother phobia Perrin had early in the series was over and done with. If he's this overstressed about the problems in his life, I would hope he'll be more sympathetic toward Rand, who's been dealing with problems much bigger for a lot longer. I mean, good God, Perrin is paralyzed with fear over losing Faile; Rand has three times as many women he's in love with. But of course Perrin doesn't actually know that. Anyway.

Isabel 09-21-2010 05:07 AM

I also liked the prologue. Although I was sad when reading the Galad part. It is obviously written mostly by RJ and has dead mules in it. (now hoping these words don't come back to hount me) and i even had to cry at the last scene.

I didn't like that Greandal still lived. Although i was holding my breath the whole time reading that chapter. What if that was the chapter about Asmo?
Good that Delana and Arangar are dead.

I really liked the Fain and Lan part. Curious if Rand will die in this book or if it will start off with the next book.
it really seems RAnd will die before the last battle, but i still don't see how it would work with all the prophecies of him dying at Shayol Guhl.