Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 13: Towers of Midnight (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   I officially retract my critisism of Perrin *Prologue spoilers* (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4042)

looqas 09-30-2010 01:46 AM

I officially retract my critisism of Perrin *Prologue spoilers*

I'm somewhat in the middle of the preparatory re-read of TGS and I'm amazed that I did not remember even the half of it.

I've been reading Perrin's POVs with a critical eye because of the discussion of Prologue. And me also voicing my hammering remarks of him whining. And when I read the prologue I thought he was still in rescuing Faile mood.

Perrin is actually very much spot on done and a very natural continuation of the situation. We as readers may not like how he used his facetime in the earlier books, but Brandon have tried to put a positive face on it so that when he's over this period and returns to action

What makes me say this? Couple of things.

We all know how Perrin is really the most control freakish in the series (after Elaida of course). His control freakness does not extent to others but to his own behavior. He's ALWAYS been described how careful he is in actions and words. Why? Not to hurt anyone else (because he perceives his big frame would crush others when he was a kid). That made him what he is today. And that makes him really neurotic about losing control of his action i.e. becoming the wolf. That's why he's been wallowing in it and continues to wallow in it in the future. Earlier I was not fine with that side of his story, but after realizing what I wrote above it actually makes sense.

Another thing about Perrin. It's not like he does not know what he has to do. It has been all along of accepting the fact and facing them what has been the problem. Perrin deliberately put off facing those choices in form of quest of rescuing Faile.

Take a look at couple of Perrin POVs from TGS.

From ch 17: Questions of Control

Quote:

The work had been distracting, which was good. But Perrin knew he couldn't push aside his problems for long. Rand pulled him northward. Perrin had to march for the Last Battle. Nothing else mattered.

And yet, that very single-mindedness in him - ignoring everything but his objective - had been the source of much trouble during his hunt for Faile. He had to find a balance, somehow. He needed to decide for himself if he wanted to lead these people. He needed to make peace with the wolf inside himself, the beast that raged in him when he went into battle.
And later he makes up his mind in chapter 21: Embers and Ash

Quote:

...The more he thought about it, the more determined he grew. He would march to the Last Battle - and when he did, he wanted to be free able to control the wolf inside him. He wanted to either to be free of all of these people who followed him, or to learn how to accept their loyalty.

He had some decisions to make. They wouldn't be easy, but he'd make them. A man had to do hard things. That was the way of life. That was what had gone wrong with the way he'd handled Faile's capture. Instead of making decisions, he'd avoided them. ...
And the rest of the chapter is also interesting and reassuring to read. Perrin's back on track.

Brandon really tried to spell it out in the Perrin's POVs that he's ready to move forward and is actually coming back to the main scene.

What I found so frustrating about the whole Perrin's plot was that it seemed it was moving forward so slowly. Not Perrin's whining, but the endless scenery depictions (we all know what I'm talking about. RJ really loved to paint the scene for us - Photorealistic.) that made up a quite huge section of Faile rescue thing. And the constant "side-tracks" it had. And the numerous supporting POVs it contained. I think we all felt that couple of POVs were really not needed, but there they were regardless. Especially Sevanna's multiple POVs. I think we as readers got it what kind of a woman she was but RJ kept giving her face time.

What has been unusual for me is that Brandon clearly wrote in TGS most of the POVs how HE sees and understands the character. He did this by writing persons thinking about themselves in such self-aware and analytical way thinking and explaining themselves why they thought or did something. Like explaining or thinking one's own personality. Why I'm the way I am? Why I do this? It was for readers and Brandon's own benefit. Jordan mostly wrote what characters thought or did and left the why out.

Enigma 09-30-2010 05:30 AM

Granted its only a small view of the book but judging by the scene this book will finally show Perrin growing into a leader and being comfortable with the role.

Both Rand and Mat has gone though the forge and Rand was the first to adopt his responsibilities though he did go a bit extreme recently before his moment of truth at the end of TGS. Mat resisted being a leader even after he was a leader and it was his time in Ebou Dar that really changed him.

Perrin was always dutiful but he was the sort who would put himself in harms way but did not want to be responsible for others. This changed a bit in the Two Rivers campaign but as soon as he was elected lord he was trying to dodge some of the more onerous requirements that job brough.

Saying that I had always found reading Perrins' scene to one of my least favourite parts of the book along with Elayne.

Spasmodean 10-12-2010 07:25 PM

Perrin said that he had to consider sending Faile into danger again.

I wonder what this danger is?

tarmageddon 10-13-2010 12:36 PM

I still want obsessive-compulsive wolf-boy to stop wringing his hands and get with the program!!

I'm with Hopper. Young bull needs to stop acting like a puppy!! :)

S

looqas 10-14-2010 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasmodean (Post 116590)
Perrin said that he had to consider sending Faile into danger again.

I wonder what this danger is?

I didn't get any vibes of him referring to a wolf-dream. I read it more like he needs, or is ready to, let go of his over-protective attitude and crippling fear for Faile.

If Faile dies then he's ready to face the music. That's how I read it, but who knows if Faile really bites the dust.

Faile for me became less of a Fail and more of a Faile when he stuck the knife to Masema. That's the ruthlessness I kinda miss from other characters too. It's time step-up the ante.

Terez 10-14-2010 01:56 AM

I got the feeling that the whole Malden plotline was specifically aimed at shaping Perrin's personality into what the Pattern needs it to be for the Last Battle. I did a nice bolded quote from 'The Forging of A Hammer' here. (It's on Yuku, so hit mute if you have sound or you'll get a flash video playing. Or you can scroll to the top of the thread and hit the stop button.)

Anyway, I have been digging it since before KOD. I enjoyed Perrin's POV in the prologue because it seems to be continuing along the same lines - psychological development. Jason advised that we not bother with trying to figure out what Perrin's deal will be in this book, and I'm all for that...I'm sure it's pretty unpredictable...but I'm looking forward to it.

Spasmodean 10-14-2010 07:18 PM

I think he'll have a hand in rescuing Galad.

Davian93 10-14-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasmodean (Post 117205)
I think he'll have a hand in rescuing Galad.

Define Irony: Jaret Byar and Dain Bornhald run into and convinces Perrin to assist them in rescuing Galad. Sorry, but that would be ridiculously awesome.

GonzoTheGreat 10-15-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 117210)
Define Irony: Jaret Byar and Dain Bornhald run into and convinces Perrin to assist them in rescuing Galad. Sorry, but that would be ridiculously awesome.

Well, first someone has to convince them that they have to ask Perrin. That's gonna be a good one too.

Spasmodean 10-15-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 117281)
Well, first someone has to convince them that they have to ask Perrin. That's gonna be a good one too.

Perrin's little group is actually a microcosm of how the forces of the light will look at the Last Battle.

Tav'eren
2 Flavours of channelers.
Aiel.
Nobles.
Commoners.
He's already fought side by side with the Seanchan, and it seems Tylee's career is on the way up.

I think adding Whitecloaks into the mix is the final ingredient.

Although on writing this, he'll still missing a Seafolk or 2 for the "gotta catch'em all" prize.

Nafro 10-15-2010 11:36 AM

The problem I have with Perrin is that the issues he is thinking about in the ToM Prologue he has been thinking about since liek Winter's Heart. However much I hate Perrin I am looking forward to what he is going to do in this book since I have absolutely no clue as to what that will be.

TankSpill 10-15-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 117281)

I think this entire premise has a lot to do with Leigh Butler's review of the book, where she said something along the lines of, "I didn't even know you could have a moment of Awesome. All is forgiven, man." I definitely think Byar and/or Dain are going to come through in BIG ways.

GonzoTheGreat 10-15-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasmodean (Post 117390)
Although on writing this, he'll still missing a Seafolk or 2 for the "gotta catch'em all" prize.

He also used up his Tinker Infantry units, didn't he?

Nero 10-15-2010 12:02 PM

Perrin will die!

Good comments all. Only thing I have to add, is that Perrin has the best chance of dying in the last battle out of all the main cast besides Rand. Actually, I am expecting Perrin to die, and then fight as a wolf in TAR.

The Angry Druid 10-15-2010 10:37 PM

I know I'll catch all kind of hell for saying it, but of the main group of characters, Moiraine, Rand, and Egwene are furthest along in terms of knowing their roles, accepting what that means, and having a clue as to how to go about it.

I'd rate Nynaeve next. Perrin, Mat, Elayne, and Lan still have a longer way to go. And I think all will make strides in this book.

Of the second level characters: Galad, Min, Siuan, and Thom are pretty much there. Caddy is close. Avi will make progress going through the rings. Gawyn has the furthest to go.

As for Perrin, if Morgase discovers Galad is in trouble, I'm sure she'll make the request to help save him.

Terez 10-15-2010 11:47 PM

Gawyn is playing his role perfectly, I think.