Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 13: Towers of Midnight (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Favorite Character including info from ToM prologue and chapter 8? (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4073)

rackerson3 10-03-2010 10:58 PM

Favorite Character including info from ToM prologue and chapter 8?

I was just wondering if any one had read the pre release text from the new book and re-evaluated any of their opinions about the various characters. For instance, I had previously disliked Galad(as I expect was the writer's intention) a very great deal and found myself skipping Galad-centric chapters during re-read sessions. However, given the new information, I find Galad to be a more relate-able character. Also, I've noticed that Rand has slipped away from being one of my favorite characters to a less important role. He certainly does amazing things in his chapters, but I see his chapters as a sort of countdown to TG while other characters like Mat and Elayne (and occasionally Egwene) have become the real meat of the story. Rand is sort of too powerful in my opinion, sort of de-humanized, like a super character. Anyone have similar thoughts about favorite characters?

Daekyras 10-04-2010 05:39 AM

Hmm, I've liked Galad since book 3. I always used to see it as a small flaw in the story that we were meant to Like Gawyn and dislike Galad and I found it to be completely the opposite.

Gawyn comes across as an idiot and Galad has a strong code by which he makes decisions. Even when he joins the whitecloaks it makes sense and what he does there is pretty sweet.

Anyway, Mat is my favourite character. His chapters where like a breath of fresh air during the doldrum years-books 8-10.

Casabamelon 10-04-2010 09:14 AM

Isn't this the General forum?
________
Bbw vids

rackerson3 10-04-2010 12:06 PM

Yes, but this is a general question. I'm curious to know how other peoples favorite characters have developed throughout the entire series, including the info from the newest book.

GonzoTheGreat 10-04-2010 12:08 PM

But in this Forum, we're not supposed to use any information from that newest book.

Terez 10-04-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekyras (Post 113906)
Hmm, I've liked Galad since book 3. I always used to see it as a small flaw in the story that we were meant to Like Gawyn and dislike Galad and I found it to be completely the opposite.

I think that was totally intentional, and that the contrast was set up to be an ironic one.

looqas 10-05-2010 06:23 AM

I have to go with Moiraine here. Even though she was not in them.

For me she is the most intriguing character and I'm really waiting to see any of her interactions with everybody.

RDDK 10-05-2010 08:01 AM

Flinn, Mat, Narishma, Grady, Neald, in order.

I've always found Flinn to be pretty awesome and down to earth. Narishma is incredibly strong, and seems to be Rand's go-to Asha'man, though I've never been sure why. Grady and Neald got stuck with Perrin for that whole 40 years in the desert thing, and I just feel bad for them. Mat is Mat, and his chapters are always awesome.

Spazzy19 10-07-2010 02:25 AM

Rand and Perrin were my favorites for the first several books, but I've gradually come to appreciate Mat as my favorite character. Poor kid's grown up! :)

I'm also a big fan of Aviendha and Birgitte.

Madgod 10-07-2010 11:13 PM

light side, my favorite character is obviously Mat, everyone seems to love him. However, I must say that my favorite character is actually Elan Morin Tedronai/Ishamael/Moridin.

greebo 10-08-2010 02:09 AM

a few from my opinion...
Nyneave= hate-> total respect
Matt= always loved
Perrin= love -> bored to tears
Rand= loved->frustration-> confusion
Egwene= indifference-> very likable
Galad= never really liked, always respected
Gawyn= arrogant-> go kill yourself
All Aiel= kick ass-> a little humility please!
Elayne= Love-> hate-> love
Toun= really, get over yourself.
just a few :)

greebo 10-08-2010 02:11 AM

Also- The AS have had a series long come-uppance. I think it's time for them to find some respect and live up to at least SOME of the original mystery they had right at the outset.

Helloes 10-08-2010 07:59 AM

Siuan is by far my favourite character, I'm constantly amazed at how many fish sayings she can churn out while manipulating people left and right.

Moiraine is another favourite. These two seems to be the onlyones that use their heads in the series and think before they act, they also don't spend half the books moping around or whining about their fate no matter how grim it is(stilling/"dieing").

Both has also done more for the lightside than the majority of maincharacters while constantly getting shit for it.

ScoundrelTheToy 10-08-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helloes (Post 115455)
Siuan is by far my favourite character, I'm constantly amazed at how many fish sayings she can churn out while manipulating people left and right.

Moiraine is another favourite. These two seems to be the onlyones that use their heads in the series and think before they act, they also don't spend half the books moping around or whining about their fate no matter how grim it is(stilling/"dieing").

Both has also done more for the lightside than the majority of maincharacters while constantly getting shit for it.

Pft, I'd take the 'shit' they recieve over the shit Rand's recieved throughout the books without a second thought.

Favorite character hands down is Mat followed by Nynaeve, Moiraine and Avienda. I also adore Tuon, but only when she's around Mat because their chemistry is so hilarious. I can't wait for the scene where the main cast become aware that not only is Mat now married, but married to the Seanchan Empress, may she live forever...poor Mat when they recieve that news. I wouldn't be suprised if Nynaeve kicks him in the balls again for being played for a fool by Tuon lol!

Toss the dice 10-08-2010 01:07 PM

Favorite is Mat of course. Next two are Thom and Moiraine. Also like Aviendha, Uno, Luca, Siuan, Juilin, Mistress Anan, Lan, Nynaeve, Logain, Narishma, Flinn. Favorite hotties are Sarene, Alanna, and Aviendha. Favorite hottie for one night only would be Nynaeve. Favorite choice for dominatrix would be Tsutama Rath. (I would go with the obvious choice of Lanfear, or perhaps Graendal or Liandrin, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't live through any of them. Tsutama would just whoop my ass.)

JaconKin 10-08-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 114096)
I think that was totally intentional, and that the contrast was set up to be an ironic one.

Aye, I mean the person who points out the "flaws" of Galad the most are Elayne and praises her full brother Gawyn to be the perfect brother, man, lover, etc.

Really that is the only push you get from Jordan himself via another character for coming to perceive Gawyn as the "more" likable out of the two. I mean even Egwene, Nyneave, and others question Elayne on her perception of her half brother, and others chide her childishness when it comes to her perception of him. I never disliked Galad actually due to this fact that the push came from Elayne. I can't remember though if I ever questioned Gawyn though due to this. It is actually a very clever device used by Jordan though.

I wonder what her reaction will be when she finds out what her oh so perfect brother Gawyn has done since they last saw one another.

As far as favorite characters:
Rand-I love the deepness of his character.
Mat-There is a richness and quality to his character that is just likeable.
Egwene-Though with her flaws, has grown and is gaining more maturity and wisdom as she progresses.
Moraine-The only Aes Sedai who understands now what it means to serve, instead of control.
Min-Likeable to a fault, is the only character there truly for Rand and only him with no other motives.

alleluia_cone 10-08-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rackerson3 (Post 113837)
I was just wondering if any one had read the pre release text from the new book and re-evaluated any of their opinions about the various characters. For instance, I had previously disliked Galad(as I expect was the writer's intention) a very great deal and found myself skipping Galad-centric chapters during re-read sessions. However, given the new information, I find Galad to be a more relate-able character.

I've always liked Galad and never really understood the dislike of him by readers since, if you examine it from a removed position, he only has ever acted how a prudent and reasonable person would under the circumstances. And by circumstances I generally refer to the fact that he is not particularly clued in or knowledgeable about what is really going on because the other characters don't trust him enough to tell him.

Quote:

Also, I've noticed that Rand has slipped away from being one of my favorite characters to a less important role.

I'm surprised the pre-release materials, specifically, caused you to have this reaction. I've long felt Rand as a character is one of diminishing returns in so far as how likable he is. By that I mean I have literally liked him a little less in each subsequent book from the first to the last; in other words, he is a line on a graph which has continuously trended down.

That is not to say he doesn't have very cool moments (i.e., cleansing the Taint, slaughtering Trollocs, vanquishing Forsaken, and so on). But in regards to whether you like him personally, I don't know how that's been possible for a good decade or so. If anything, I think the pre-release materials give me hope this situation will be reversed and quickly.

Quote:

He certainly does amazing things in his chapters, but I see his chapters as a sort of countdown to TG while other characters like Mat and Elayne (and occasionally Egwene) have become the real meat of the story. Rand is sort of too powerful in my opinion, sort of de-humanized, like a super character. Anyone have similar thoughts about favorite characters?

I strongly dispute the notion that Elayne has been "the real meat" of any of the books, much less the overall story. I find her a superfluous character who truly has no independent purpose that cannot have been better fulfilled by other characters where, in many cases, this is not already partially the case.

Toss the dice 10-08-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alleluia_cone (Post 115547)
I've always liked Galad and never really understood the dislike of him by readers since, if you examine it from a removed position, he only has ever acted how a prudent and reasonable person would under the circumstances. And by circumstances I generally refer to the fact that he is not particularly clued in or knowledgeable about what is really going on because the other characters don't trust him enough to tell him.

I'm surprised the pre-release materials, specifically, caused you to have this reaction. I've long felt Rand as a character is one of diminishing returns in so far as how likable he is. By that I mean I have literally liked him a little less in each subsequent book from the first to the last; in other words, he is a line on a graph which has continuously trended down.

That is not to say he doesn't have very cool moments (i.e., cleansing the Taint, slaughtering Trollocs, vanquishing Forsaken, and so on). But in regards to whether you like him personally, I don't know how that's been possible for a good decade or so. If anything, I think the pre-release materials give me hope this situation will be reversed and quickly.

I strongly dispute then notion that Elayne has been "the real meat" of any of the books, much less the overall story. I find her a superfluous character who truly has no independent purpose that cannot have been better fulfilled by other characters where, in many cases, this is not already partially the case.

Wow. I wholeheartedly agree to everything you just said. I also find you to be a startlingly reasonable fellow with amazing common sense.

David Selig 10-08-2010 05:45 PM

I really don't think the readers are supposed to dislike Galad at the start, Elayne's view of him is clearly presented as childish and biased, the whole "he's not my brother" act is simply stupid.

The reason I disliked him at some point was because he joined the Whitecloacks, most of which are a bunch of self-righteous fanatics who do much more evil than good. But he's shown he's intending to change that and is a honourable man and intend to change his organisation for the better, so now I am OK with him.

Anyway, favourite main characters for me are Mat and Elayne (yes, I know, I am weird). From the less impotant ones - Birgitte, Rhuark, Graendal, Siuan, Lan.

Neilbert 10-08-2010 06:24 PM

That's the thing though. The first time we see Galad he runs off and tells the palace guard about Rand, which while being absolutely the right thing to do, also interrupts Rand gets with a Princess time. We the reader, identifying with Rand, might see that negatively and it may take a while for Galad to recover. Then he goes and joins the Whitecloaks and it is hard not to see it as him going off the deep end, even if he is once again doing it for the right reasons.