Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 13: Towers of Midnight (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Towers of Midnight ebook? (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4238)

jlrx81 10-21-2010 11:55 AM

Towers of Midnight ebook?

Will the ebook be available on release day?

If not, any idea when?

I do not buy paper books anymore unless I have no choice and since all the others are now ebooks, I'm surprised I can't pre-order it from amazon or B&N

Terez 10-21-2010 11:58 AM

We don't know when yet, though we do know it won't be available on Nov. 2, and word is it will probably be later in November. We can hope for AMOL. Everyone will buy it at midnight if so...though I think you can do that with audiobook. Don't think you could listen to the whole thing before you could get it in a store, though...even if you're willing to go without sleep.

csarmi 10-21-2010 04:33 PM

Maybe because they're afraid it'd land on torrents too soon?

Terez 10-21-2010 07:07 PM

It was up within a couple of days last year, with no ebook. So maybe.

wconn1979 10-21-2010 08:03 PM

It will be disappointing if the do not realease the ebook with the hardcover. I have a brother working over seas, and a couple of friends in the military deployed over seas that were looking forward to release day for the ebook.

Great Lord of the Dark 10-21-2010 09:34 PM

Yes in Canada?

Our Indigo/Chapters catalogue shows ebook and audiobook versions available.

The physical book itself says In stores Nov. 2nd.

So it'll be available, and you can maybe assume availability on or close to Nov 2nd, unless the catalogue blurb writers srcewed up entirely, which is not an unknown occurrence.

FelixPax 10-21-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlrx81 (Post 118721)
Will the ebook be available on release day?

If not, any idea when?

I do not buy paper books anymore unless I have no choice and since all the others are now ebooks, I'm surprised I can't pre-order it from amazon or B&N

Perhaps request a copy from your local library then, if you do not want to purchase a paper copy? Or wait a month or so, before the e-book version is for sale?

No website I've seen has an e-Book of TofM for sale as a pre-order
Not Amazon.com USA or Amazon.ca Canada
Not Barnes and Noble USA
Not Borders.com USA
Not Tor.com

You should not be surprised, as MacMillian the parent of Tor Inc is attempting to retain the relatively higher price points of new Hardbacks, versus the lower price point of e-books.

Macmillan CEO Promises Most (Older) E-Books Will Still Be Under $10

Amazon Forum: Don't see a Kindle edition listed
Stephen King's publisher Simon & Schuster withheld an e-book of 'Under the Dome' for a month, until the Hardback was out a month.
Curiously Peter Ahlstrom tweeted this about 'The Way of Kings' e-book:

Quote:

@Thesleepingwolf THE WAY OF KINGS *is* cheaper on Kindle than hardback in the US. And I thought there was no Canadian Kindle store.

Of course, not every Tor backlisted book is going to have an official e-book for sale immediately. Why? See Charile Stross explanation, who is a Tor Inc author: Why a middle Merchant Princes book has no e-book

Though I guess MacMillain/Tor could attempt to follow Penguin or Little, Brown, & Co. recent policy of charging more for e-book than hardback?

Mat 10-22-2010 03:22 AM

At the end of the chapter 2 audiobook the woman says (am I right with "say, says, said" ?)

"Tower of midnight Ebook will be available on Nov. 2"

Soooooo I think it will be available on the release date :-)

finberg 10-23-2010 01:12 PM

Someone posted on twitter that amazon updated their ToM kindle preorder to a date of 11/1/11

Quote:

Sandtigrr (Ed Shumpert) retweeted by dragonmount
@dragonmount ToM will not release on Kindle until 11/01/11 :( Amazon just updated all the preorders.

FelixPax 10-23-2010 04:33 PM

October 1st 2011 - TofM available at Amazon via Kindle

Quote:

Originally Posted by finberg (Post 119128)
Someone posted on twitter that amazon updated their ToM kindle preorder to a date of 11/1/11

A Year? I'm shocked.

Is MacMillian/Tor Inc going to shoot themselves in the foot with this delayed ebook release plan, I wonder?

Though, I have seen another date mention on the Amazon Forum for TofM:

Quote:

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing because an unexpected delay has occurred in delivering the Kindle version of the book listed below:

'Towers of Midnight'
Robert Jordan
Link to the Kindle Title: Towers of Midnight

The old delivery date was: 10/26/2010
The new delivery date is: 10/1/2011

We'll keep your pre-order open on your account and deliver the title to your Kindle as soon as the publisher releases the digital version.

As a reminder, you can always change, cancel, or view the status of your orders in Your Account here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/yo...r-history.html

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Department

Strange that Amazon didn't note the original delay to Nov. 2nd in that e-mail to a customer, though. But October 1st, 2011 is a long ways away.

Wonder how many people will look for a torrent instead, before it's finally released officially as an ebook late next year?

FollowYourMuse 10-24-2010 11:48 AM

That is the real problem, in order to keep sales up and piracy down, they do not release ebooks, but in effect that just gives some people a justification to find a pirated version, and more motivation for pirated copies to be made.

Do they think that more fans will purchace the Hardcover if they do not release an e-book? That may or may not be the case, more likely with a book like this, though I look at it that they lost 1 sale, I have a book pre-ordered at a local book store, and I had an e-book preordered so I would have both, now they will only get 1 sale.

Neilbert 10-24-2010 12:00 PM

Publishers don't want e-books to become popular for the same reason the RIAA does not want people to stop buying CDs.

FelixPax 10-24-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FollowYourMuse (Post 119228)
Do they think that more fans will purchace the Hardcover if they do not release an e-book?

Fans will have a few choices:
  • Purchase a Hardback new
  • Purchase a used Hardback, a short time after release day
  • Borrow a Hardback-- Library, Friend, et al
  • Receive a Hardback as a Gift over the Holidays
  • Produced, create their own e-book from a Hardback version--likely a small minority of fans.
  • Download a pirated TofM version of an unknown quality for free, but at a legal risk.

If the sales window for the official TofM e-book was narrower, I do think a large amount of pirates would instead make legitimate purchases.

I guess who ever is responsible for the TofM e-book delay of sale, is not comfortable with digital sales? Or perhaps various policies of digital merchants as they currently stand?

One negative thing about pushing all the sales to Hardback/Paperback format, is the secondhand bookstores should have access to large volumes of TofM before any digital merchant will even have it for sale. That is if one's taking a publisher's or Harriet's point of view. As neither profits from used book sales.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TofM Hardback for sale for $5 or less, at various used bookstores by the time the ebook version comes out. As that is the price point for other Robert Jordan WoT hardback books currently, $5 or less.

I'd think many people would chose a ebook version over an used Hardback, if given the choice a month or two after the original Nov. 2nd release date. Why? Convenience. Space-saving. Search. Text-to-Audio functionally.

If MacMillian/Tor, Harriet wanted to, they could create for sale and distribute a higher value-added ebook and charge more for it.

Monkey 10-28-2010 01:00 PM

Its a big problem for international readers as well not only for the ebook but also others like HC and audio. I believe in some countries they don't even have a release date until next year. I've heard as late as Jan or Feb 2011. The pirate stuff is not so bad in the US on a release date for an American writer but internationally it sucks which opens the door to the Pirates.

What do u think u would do if u had to wait another month before reading the next book in your Favorite series of all time and being a Galad or Rolling the Dice like Matt and taking your chances.

We might be lucky here in Aussie this time around, here's hoping.

jlrx81 10-29-2010 09:38 AM

I was reading the community board over at Amazon and someone posted a reply that it was delayed at the request of the Authors estate, also that Brandon Sanderson may try and talk the estate (Harriet?) into releasing it sooner?

See for yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Email-the-Publ...42&store=books

Terez 11-01-2010 03:40 PM

Brandon just announced that the ebook will be released in February. He asked them to move it up, and this was their compromise.

kcf 11-01-2010 03:40 PM

Brandon wrote a letter to Harriet asking for the release to be bumped up and she agreed to release it in February. So, it's a 3 month delay instead of 12.

Not being a fan of ebooks, I think the delay is a good idea. But I can see how others could be very frustrated by it.

Birgitte 11-01-2010 03:49 PM

I'm waiting for the Kindle version. For books this huge, the ebook version is SO much nicer.

Neilbert 11-01-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 121025)
Brandon just announced that the ebook will be released in February. He asked them to move it up, and this was their compromise.

That's not a compromise, it's a slap in the face. I will not be purchasing the e-book. I do not pay for the same material twice, ever, for any reason. They can shove their self-fulfilling prophecy up their ass. (Sanderson is not the they to which I am referring)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcf
Not being a fan of ebooks, I think the delay is a good idea. But I can see how others could be very frustrated by it.

Yes, it's only a good idea if you don't want e-books to exist.

E-Rock 11-01-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcf (Post 121026)
Brandon wrote a letter to Harriet asking for the release to be bumped up and she agreed to release it in February. So, it's a 3 month delay instead of 12.

This will surely foil the dastardly plans of the nefarious ebook pirates. Since there will now be no legit method for obtaining an ebook version before February I guess everyone who wants an ebook will just give up and wait instead of resorting to some form of copyright infringement... :rolleyes: