Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 13: Towers of Midnight (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   A list of spelling errors in ToM (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4421)

Khoram 11-06-2010 12:19 PM

805 The One Left Behind - Heart pounding, Mat charged after Mat and Noal.

Should read: Heart pounding, Mat charged after Thom and Noal.

Anaiya Sedai 11-06-2010 12:48 PM

I noticed something that made me cringe a little, but I don't know if it's an error or not. unfortunately I can't remember right now where it was, but I'll edit this when I find it again.

She had neither run nor hid.

Khoram 11-06-2010 02:45 PM

It's not so much a spelling error, so I don't know if it fits in this thread, but:

768 Boots - This whole page makes mention to Mat's boots and him tying up his laces - where does it ever say that he has laces on his boots? Where does it ever say that any character (save the Aiel) have laced boots? I've never noticed it, and it really threw me off.

Terez 11-06-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie Curie 7 (Post 123464)
p. 530 "Now you're sure you can't create gateways at all? Not even to other points nearby, inside the effected area?"

--- That should be 'affected', not 'effected'.

Heh. I noticed that too, and cringed so badly I forgot to note it down.

WinespringBrother 11-07-2010 12:49 AM

pg 515 "working for straight through"

pg 669 "if Trollocs were to march on Andor, through her sister realm would be one of the avenues they might use."

Lironah 11-07-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoram (Post 123519)
It's not so much a spelling error, so I don't know if it fits in this thread, but:

768 Boots - This whole page makes mention to Mat's boots and him tying up his laces - where does it ever say that he has laces on his boots? Where does it ever say that any character (save the Aiel) have laced boots? I've never noticed it, and it really threw me off.

The Aiel have boots that lace up to the knee...no reason other people's boots wouldn't lace up, just not as far. There's shirts that lace, and lacing certainly predates buttons, buckles, zippers and velcro (3500 BC).

Khoram 11-07-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lironah (Post 123780)
The Aiel have boots that lace up to the knee...no reason other people's boots wouldn't lace up, just not as far. There's shirts that lace, and lacing certainly predates buttons, buckles, zippers and velcro (3500 BC).

True, but neither RJ nor BS ever mentioned (aside from in ToM) anything about anybody else lacing up their boots. Pulling them on and stamping their feet in, yes, but never anything about laces. The laces, I think, would probably have been a part of the detail that RJ put into the scene - he always mentioned knee-high boots, or boots turned down at the knee, but never laces anywhere on the boots.

But that's just how I always pictured it. Besides, wouldn't boots that have laces only half-way up the boot or less look kinda awkward?

dominominic 11-07-2010 07:19 PM

In American English is it acceptable to use commas before prepositions?

Brandon does that a lot.

phoenix 11-07-2010 07:21 PM

hi all, i am currently reading the book in Australia (not sure if theres differences or not) and found a grammar error

An Invitation page 559
The sea folk did not pick up theirs, though the Aes Sedai did began to drink.

is it supposed to be 'did and began to drink'? or ' did begin to drink'?

morat'corlm 11-08-2010 11:11 AM

Some few spelling/terminology problems I picked up in my first skimming read, probably including some noted earlier:

Pr. “to Aesdaishar” for “to the Aesdaishar”
Pr. Graendal uses “Dark One” and “Great Lord” interchangeably (?)
Ch. 2 “Winged Guard” for “Winged Guards”, riding Maidens
Ch. 5 “palace staff”, “palace servants” for “Tower staff”, “Tower servants”
all “objects of Power” for “objects of the Power”
Ch. 19 “Tom” for “Thom”
Ch. 21 Sulin uses “Forsaken” rather than “Shadowsouled”
Ch. 21 Faile says Maighdin is distraught because she lived in Caemlyn under Rahvin, though she had claimed to be a lady’s maid in Murandy at the time.
Ch. 23 “Theater Troop” for “Theater Troupe”
Ch. 34 “effected area” for “affected area”
Ch. 49 “The Aiel would ride to war again.” more riding...?
CH. 57 “I guess we’re equal” for “even”?

sonieb33 11-09-2010 05:21 PM

Brief list

I haven't gone through all of these posts and compared them to what I have, so some, or all, of these may already be reported. This is the USA Edition.

I found more but there were times when I didn't have a pencil handy.
Anyway, here's what I have written down so far:

Pg.
125 "but it what I'm doing"
296 Thom spelled "Tom"
386 "send word if we should we fail"
388 "I came here to tell you that that"
404 "He cut off as saw Rand"
528 "none of the would"
625 "they galloped their horses to the of camp"
661 "he couldn't seen anyone"
738 "clicking her tongue to herself as pulled out a wrong stitch"

sonieb33 11-09-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 124283)
hi all, i am currently reading the book in Australia (not sure if theres differences or not) and found a grammar error

An Invitation page 559
The sea folk did not pick up theirs, though the Aes Sedai did began to drink.

is it supposed to be 'did and began to drink'? or ' did begin to drink'?

In the USA it's wrong too. So you're right ;).

Crispin's Crispian 11-10-2010 05:34 PM

I don't have specific pages, but I noticed at least three instances of what I believe are misused "who" vs. "whom". I know it's not very constructive without a page number, but I thought I'd point it out.

Spazzy19 11-10-2010 09:54 PM

I'll have to research it more specifically, but in the scene where Egwene is in the dream world trying to plot bringing Mesaana and the Black sisters to her with confusion to the other meeting, it's written that alarms would set off when they "grew" near instead of "drew."

Khoram 11-10-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spazzy19 (Post 126084)
I'll have to research it more specifically, but in the scene where Egwene is in the dream world trying to plot bringing Mesaana and the Black sisters to her with confusion to the other meeting, it's written that alarms would set off when they "grew" near instead of "drew."

And then one asks, as they're reading this, "When what grows near? What can grow really fast, and be really dangerous at the same time? Are they rapidly-aging children!? :eek:

Ishara 11-12-2010 10:31 AM

I do my first read with a bookmark that forces me to read line by line, and I just read. No notes, no comments in the margins, and definitely no underlining. Next read through (after my sister's done with it) I'll be sure to note anything I find!

The Angry Druid 11-12-2010 04:55 PM

Ch. 33: A Good Soup, p. 509.

"Siuan's soup was surprisingly good. She took another sip,..."

The chapter is from Siuan's PoV, this makes no grammatical sense, unless Siuan thiks about herself in the 3rd person all the time like an NBA player.

Xelun 11-12-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Angry Druid (Post 127004)
Ch. 33: A Good Soup, p. 509.

"Siuan's soup was surprisingly good. She took another sip,..."

The chapter is from Siuan's PoV, this makes no grammatical sense, unless Siuan thiks about herself in the 3rd person all the time like an NBA player.

It's the first sentence of the chapter and there would be no actual subject for an antecedent for "her." Therefore, this isn't really an error.

Nei 11-13-2010 06:20 PM

There was one particular sentence that made absolutely no sense to me while I was making my first speed through. I didn't note it down so I can't quote it, but I'm sure I haven't seen it listed yet either.

I'll probably catch it on my second run if someone else hasn't already.

CJB 11-15-2010 08:22 AM

Not a spelling error as such, but it seemes to fit here better than in the other error thread.

From the epilogue (page 842 UK)

"It is fitting," Kaisel said
"What?" Lan asked.
"That we should strike here."
"Yes," Lan said.
"Perhaps," Kaisel said. "But it is bold. It shows the Shadow that we will not be beaten down, that we will not cower. This is your land, Lord Mandragoran."

It might just be me being a bit thick, but I've no idea why Kaisel is replying with "Perhaps" when he's the one who raised the point that it was fitting to strike there in the first place.