Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 13: Towers of Midnight (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   A list of spelling errors in ToM (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4421)

NargsBrood 11-02-2010 08:52 PM

A list of spelling errors in ToM

Does anyone have any others? (This is the US edition page numbers)

Use a Pebble, Page 217 - Her food sank through the shattered paving stone and hit packed earth. / should read foot sank?

Partings, and a Meeting, Page 244 - He was tempted to peek under the oiled tarp that stretched over the back of. / odd expression. was this intended?

Partings, and a Meeting, Page 246 - Did they have to throw around such words that like they were wooden pennies? / odd expression. was this intended?

Partings, and a Meeting, Page 256 - Egwene Sedai has spoken of letting the Kin continue, but if we do, would be we be able to work the One Power openly? / would we be able?

The Strength of this Place, Page 269 - Aes Sedai had Healed him as best he could, and he walked on a peg.

The End of a Ledgend, Page 349 - It felt like not knowing if you had the right antidote until after the snake's teeth were already clamped down on your arm. / snakes usually have fangs if they are poisonous

Into the Void, Page 492 - Fortunately, though, the thing hadn't seemed to consider woman who could channel to be a threat. / women

Into the Void, Page 493 - It was still better than what Mat had been able to with; / come up with

A Storm of Light, Page 495 - They mistook him. All he cared about now was doing as much damage to them as possible. So, he used their assumptions against him. / against them

A Storm of Light, Page 501 - He raised it, and as he'd guessed, the building was on enough of a rise to look out over the city wall and onto the killing field outside and the beyond. / and beyond

A Good Soup, Page 515 - The bellfounders in Caemlyn had been working for straight through the nights, from what he'd heard.

Judgement, Page 528 - None of the would probably look at their weapons again the same way, but the wounded had been Healed and the channelers were rested. / None of them

A Backhanded Request, Page 663 - Anyway, Caemlyn is already is buzzing with news of your arrival.

A Reunion, Page 667 - True. But you must to find a way to take the Sun Throne without letting it look as if Andor...

Gateways, Page 783 - This place doesn't makes sense.

Gateways, Page 783 - Thom got out a torch of his own and both lit from Noal's lantern. / This one is definately moot I suppose. "Both" may need qualification at this point.

Gateways, Page 787 - The figure was willowy and tall, the shoulders disproportionately wide for the waist, and it wore pale leather straps crossed the chest. / "that crossed the chest" or "across the chest"

Something Wrong, Page 819 - Packs of black-coated man stood, with arms folded, watching him.

A Rabbit for Supper, Page 822 - Mat been traveling with a legend all this time?

A Rabbit for Supper, Page 823 - She been to high-and-mighty for that, had she not?

A Rabbit for Supper, Page 824 - Yes, she was still Moiraine. Quick with a moral and advice.

A Rabbit for Supper, Page 827 - Thom, didn't you once tell me once that the two most painful places for you to be were...

And After, Page 839 - The other Borderlands would couldn't have fallen, could they?

Davian93 11-02-2010 08:56 PM

Wow...I maybe noticed 1 or 2 of those when reading.

Did you read it for enjoyment or as a proofer?

NargsBrood 11-02-2010 09:31 PM

Enjoyment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 121434)
Wow...I maybe noticed 1 or 2 of those when reading.

Did you read it for enjoyment or as a proofer?

I watch the book like a movie when I read it. I read at the same speed I speak. Purely for enjoyment. I savor each word.

Its a little distracting when there are errors. I always keep a pen handy to strike them down.

Tamyrlin 11-02-2010 09:33 PM

Good finds.

I didn't mark any down while I was reading the last time through. I should do another re-read for my theory developments.

Peter Ahlstrom 11-02-2010 09:34 PM

This is helpful. Some authors don't appreciate it, but Brandon does, and it will make Maria's job easier for reprints and the paperback. (And maybe the ebook can have some of these fixed when it comes out, but I'm not sure about production lead time on that.)

sulamein 11-03-2010 11:28 AM

Thank you

Peter is right; this is very helpful. And I will be able to get them fixed for the ebook.

Davian93 11-03-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NargsBrood (Post 121448)
I watch the book like a movie when I read it. I read at the same speed I speak. Purely for enjoyment. I savor each word.

Its a little distracting when there are errors. I always keep a pen handy to strike them down.

Oh, that makes sense. I tend to end up skimming if I dont watch myself. I read way way faster than I speak ...probably why audio books drive me nuts. I dont notice a lot of mistakes on an initial read. Its the 2nd and 3rd readings that I pick things up like that as I'm typically flipping back and forth, dogearring pages and what not.

Davian93 11-03-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulamein (Post 121669)
Peter is right; this is very helpful. And I will be able to get them fixed for the ebook.

Maria?

Welcome to Theoryland! :)

Tamyrlin 11-03-2010 11:33 AM

Heh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 121671)
Maria?
Welcome to Theoryland! :)

She likes the loony theories. ;)

Davian93 11-03-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin (Post 121674)
She likes the loony theories. ;)

Just some crazy in a pot...just some crazy in a pot.

Sarevok 11-03-2010 11:52 AM

I'm sure I noticed "h ave" where it should have said "have" somewhere. Can't remember where, though...

sulamein 11-03-2010 12:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome

Yes, it's Maria. As Tam says, I love the loony theories.:)

Khoram 11-03-2010 01:20 PM

I haven't quite made it through the book, but I HAVE noticed a number of spelling errors. I'm almost positive I noticed some towards the beginning of the book, too. I can't remember, though.

WinespringBrother 11-03-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulamein (Post 121703)
Yes, it's Maria. As Tam says, I love the loony theories.:)

welcome to TL! Like my sig? :D

as for typos

pg 247 "forced act" s/b "forced to act"

Ieyasu 11-03-2010 05:45 PM

page 445

Deep = Deepe

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToM Ch Oddities pg 445
"You have your orders, son. You follow them. Understand?"
Deep snapped his jaw shut, then nodded curtly

jeffny01 11-03-2010 05:56 PM

page 104, middle of the page: "A bronze stand-lamp burned in the corner, and a circular rug nearly filled nearly the entire floor."

Terez 11-03-2010 06:41 PM

Most of the ones I noted are on here. Obviously I stopped at a certain point:

80 - posture that young men adapted (adopted)
104 - 'nearly filled nearly'
125 - "But it what I'm doing"
180 - 'You're taking about Hark'
194 - Rhuarc says Waste
217 - Her food sank through the.... (foot)
244 - stretched over the back of, but there...
247 - forced act like his lover
256 - would be we be able to work
268 - Ituralde turned looked
269 - Aes Sedai had Healed him as best he could

Terez 11-03-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarevok (Post 121692)
I'm sure I noticed "h ave" where it should have said "have" somewhere. Can't remember where, though...

It's in Darlin's letter to Egwene.

Khoram 11-03-2010 06:53 PM

285 - "What?" Mat said. They passed an intersection of halls where servants grouped, watching him and the other pass and whispering among themselves.

I would read it as "watching him and the others pass,and whispering among themselves.

Lironah 11-03-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NargsBrood (Post 121448)

I wish I'd known about this thread when I started reading. I spotted a lot of those but I couldn't say for sure which ones. It'd be fun to keep score.

Azure Skeith 11-04-2010 12:44 AM

Always fun to lead yourself

I like to read slowly as well and get annoyed with the various typos and grammar mistakes, but I never actually thought to keep track of them.

The only one I remember off the top of my head:

pg 796: Mat and Thom followed, and Mat led them straight into the darkness.

Terez 11-04-2010 05:39 AM

493 - his only idea bad been
583 - Failure needed always be punished. (is that right or not? Shouldn't it be just 'need'?)

jana 11-04-2010 05:48 AM

Mat stands up twice (without ever sitting down) when Mo and Thom decide to get married.

I may have read all Mo scenes 10 times by now. Maybe.

Terez 11-04-2010 05:53 AM

I noticed a few such things when reading, but I tried to ignore them for some reason.

jana 11-04-2010 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 122211)
I noticed a few such things when reading, but I tried to ignore them for some reason.

I rarely notice them my first time through

Terez 11-04-2010 06:23 AM

605 - far be it for me to question an apprentice Wise One...

bwm 11-04-2010 12:57 PM

One I just noticed:

p 595, second paragraph: Slayer believed - for just a fraction of a section -

alleluia_cone 11-04-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jana (Post 122209)
Mat stands up twice (without ever sitting down) when Mo and Thom decide to get married.

I may have read all Mo scenes 10 times by now. Maybe.

There are so many of these types of things. Also, many times the spatial relations between people and/or objects do not make sense. I just tend to ignore them.

Terez 11-05-2010 02:13 AM

538 - "That judgment is of no concern to this trial," Morgase said coldly." (extra quote)

JanDSedai 11-05-2010 02:45 AM

page 374 chapter 23 "Foxheads"
She'd hadn't tied off Chesmal's shield

she'd is a contraction of she had. So she had had not tied...?

netslider 11-05-2010 09:06 AM

And from those of us who listen to audiobooks:

Kate Reading mispronounced Pedron Niall name like 4 times in one paragraph. Before it always sounded as Nile (river in Africa, without "the" in front; jk) and now it sounds like Neil (a name). I liked Nile a lot better! Just letting people know, that's all.

WinespringBrother 11-05-2010 09:43 AM

371 "Dared she ask the questions?" should be "Dare"

403 "No longer be a symbol of darkness or hate. A sign of victory and hope." maybe change to "No longer will it be a symbol of darkness or hate, but rather a sign of victory and hope."

408 "No, guess that I do not" should be "No, I guess that I do not"

494 "killing hundreds of Trollocs and Fades trapped inside." should be "Fades that were trapped inside."

496 "where the Lastriders had been said to watch" should that be "sent to watch"?

FelixPax 11-05-2010 11:15 AM

Typo: Tom just chuckled, then glanced down at the scroll in his other hand.
"Tom" instead of "Thom" page 296 US Hardback 1st edition
I do not recall Thom ever being referred to as Tom, by any character.

Khoram 11-05-2010 04:38 PM

345 – “Men always think it would be a grand to be known in every tavern and every city,” Noal said softly.
Should be: “Men always think it would be grand (or be a grand thing) to be known...”
364 – Immediately, her weaves unraveled and the source winked away from her.
Should be: Immediately, her weaves unravelled and the Source winked away from her.
383 – Elayne cringed, imagining her own Guards forbidding her exit to her chambers.
Should be: Elayne cringed, imagining her own Guards forbidding her exit from her chambers.
386 – “... who will watch from the ridge to the southeast and send word if we should we fall.”
Should be: “... who will watch from the ridge to the southeast and send word [(if we should) or (should we)] fall.”
768 – Since when have laces been mentioned on Mat’s boots? The only laces I’ve ever heard tell of were on the boots of the Aiel.
777 – The land beyond this gateway more rugged than southern Andor.
Should be: The land beyond this gateway was more rugged than southern Andor.
787 - … and it wore pale leather straps crossed the chest.
Should be: … and it wore pale leather straps that crossed its chest.

Terez 11-05-2010 05:06 PM

'unravelled' is British spelling.

Khoram 11-05-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 123089)
'unravelled' is British spelling.

Apparently, it's Canadian and American spelling, too. At least, that's what it says for me on Microsoft Word. But maybe I'm just ignorant ;)

Terez 11-05-2010 05:54 PM

Try searching 'unraveled' in an actual dictionary.

Khoram 11-05-2010 06:34 PM

Hmm... I seem to be corrected. Thank you, Terez.

reTaardad 11-05-2010 06:59 PM

Page 639 - Stronger than Blood
Quote:

"We'll work it out," Galad said. "You let me protect you, Egwene, and I'll obey you in anything else. I promise it."
Should read Gawyn, not Galad.

Marie Curie 7 11-06-2010 10:13 AM

p. 530 "Now you're sure you can't create gateways at all? Not even to other points nearby, inside the effected area?"

--- That should be 'affected', not 'effected'.

p. 801 He was not leaving his hat, burn him. It was a bloody good hat.

--- Ha. That should be 'good bloody hat'. :p