Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 13: Towers of Midnight (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Perrin: Hammer and Axe (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4465)

Tamyrlin 11-04-2010 02:09 PM

Perrin: Hammer and Axe

I can't remember if we've started discussing this already, but I thought I'd hide the topic in the title.

Perrin's Hammer

I have a hard time believing it won't do more than just well...what it did. Do you think it will have any other abilities currently unknown to us? Any initial ideas/predictions on this?

isamu237 11-04-2010 02:14 PM

Well, we've already seen it sizzling when he plays whack-a-mole with shadowspawn. Considering he named it Mjolnir, I was kinda hoping for some lightening and sparks.

grunt 11-04-2010 02:17 PM

I expect that Perrin's hammer will harm Darkhounds and likely other shadow spawn that are immune to conventional weapons. With his production of so many power wrought weapons, Perrin's whole army will excel at fighting shadow spawn.

kcf 11-04-2010 02:32 PM

I agree that it will probably harm Darkhounds, shadowspawn and maybe even a gholam (though I really doubt we'll ever see that).

I think it will also be very good at creating things - it's probably one hell of a forge hammer.

ShadowbaneX 11-04-2010 02:33 PM

Perrin says that he can feel himself being put into the Hammer, or at least part of him flowing into the Hammer. Given the wolf theme, perhaps it'll have some interesting properties in Tel'aran'rhiod.

There's also the old theory of mine that says that Perrin and an army of wolves will be the ones to face down Shaidar Haran during the Last Battle. It could be that this hammer will actually give him the chance to do it and not just get owned by the Super Fade.

Neilbert 11-04-2010 02:34 PM

He will be able to throw it at people, and have it return to his hand.

Or maybe he will be the only one able to wield it. Maybe it burns others who try to pick it up.

missbee 11-04-2010 02:36 PM

Considering his wolf connections I'd say it'll turn out to be the weapon that works on Darkhounds.
Surely...

kcf 11-04-2010 02:37 PM

on a way side note, back when I was a wee-young undergraduate, I named my rock hammer Mjölnir. But it didn't any of the cool things of myth.

Tarion 11-04-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missbee (Post 122395)
Considering his wolf connections I'd say it'll turn out to be the weapon that works on Darkhounds.
Surely...

It could get very interesting if it can reverse the Darkhound-ness, reverting them to Wolves. Perhaps a little too much to hope for, but if this is the war to remove creatures of the Shadow from the timeline, it might make sense.

Icon 11-04-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu237 (Post 122376)
Well, we've already seen it sizzling when he plays whack-a-mole with shadowspawn. Considering he named it Mjolnir, I was kinda hoping for some lightening and sparks.

We'll get sparks and lightning when he fights a fade, just like we saw it for mats ashandarei clashing with the fade's sword somewhere in books 4-5 i think

jana 11-05-2010 12:00 AM

It will talk, and it will sound like Chip in Beauty and the Beast.

Other than that I'm not sure.

FelixPax 11-05-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin (Post 122374)
Perrin's Hammer

I have a hard time believing it won't do more than just well...what it did. Do you think it will have any other abilities currently unknown to us? Any initial ideas/predictions on this?

Perhaps its has an ability to block and part Balefire?
Similar to Callandor?

Tamyrlin 11-05-2010 12:06 AM

I like the Balefire idea

And the darkhound, that does sound like a setup there.

Shellin 11-05-2010 12:16 AM

I know someone else (it might have been Terez) brought this up in another thread, but I am really excited by the sheer fact that he has this gigantic hammer more than anything, due to the Wolf King carrying the hammer part from the Seanchan prophecies. I really hope that there is a meeting in aMoL where Rand, Mat and Perrin all get to meet with Tuon, Tylee and some other high ranking Seanchan, I feel like it will be an awesome scene.

I also really like the idea of Perrin's hammer having something to do with Darkhounds, maybe killing them and allowing the wolf's spirit to return to the wolf dream or something along those lines?

Servus Christi 11-05-2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX (Post 122393)
There's also the old theory of mine that says that Perrin and an army of wolves will be the ones to face down Shaidar Haran during the Last Battle. It could be that this hammer will actually give him the chance to do it and not just get owned by the Super Fade.

I can see Perrin being the one to take on SH. He will most likely be in the vanguard for the battle-forces of the Light, SH's equivalent with the Shadow. Matrim will likely have over-all military command for the Light's forces after Rand hands him the reigns, I can see this being Demandred's place for the Shadow (though I am not saying these two will fight).

Ieyasu 11-05-2010 12:30 AM

I hope it doesnt do anything else. I felt the magic hammer was a bit cheesy.

Power-wrought items that wont break or dull is one thing, but adding cheap mystical bullshit should be left to Dragonlance imo.

ShadowbaneX 11-05-2010 01:13 AM

yeah, I was thinking "Warhammer +3 (Fiery vs Shadowspawn)" during that part of the book.

tarmageddon 11-05-2010 07:07 PM

It fits in with the general idea of Perrin being the WoT incarnation of Thor with his hammer Mjollnir.

"In Norse polytheism, Thor (from Old Norse Þórr) is a hammer-wielding god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, oak trees, strength, destruction, fertility, healing, and the protection of mankind." From Wikepedia of course. Many of the 'themes' wrapped into Perrin's character.

We'll just have to see if he dies at Ragnarok, erm sorry, Tarmon Gai'don.

S

Terez 11-05-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ieyasu (Post 122689)
I hope it doesnt do anything else. I felt the magic hammer was a bit cheesy.

Power-wrought items that wont break or dull is one thing, but adding cheap mystical bullshit should be left to Dragonlance imo.

Power-wrought weapons have always had that effect against Shadowspawn.

FelixPax 11-05-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarmageddon (Post 123210)
It fits in with the general idea of Perrin being the WoT incarnation of Thor with his hammer Mjollnir.

Perrin's new power-wrought Hammer fits, in with Perun's Hammer hitting the Devil in the head too.