Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General "Other" Books Discussion (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   What are you reading right now? (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4742)

Universum 11-21-2010 04:38 PM

What are you reading right now?

Ok, so apart from anything WOT-related, what are you/have you recently finished/are you going to start reading in the near future, and why?

Due to studies I just finished Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita. During the week to come I will start reading Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.

For fun I am, at the moment, only reading wot. I ain't got the time to read anything else too. I dislike that. Not having the time to read all I want to read. -_-

Jonai 11-21-2010 04:55 PM

Well...I'm rereading WoT for pleasure actually. I know I know you said besides WoT. :). I'm also rereading Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody trilogy. I wonder if the books after Destiny are worth reading. Anyone know? I had completely forgotten its November and all, what with ToM coming out and such. I've got to get my hands on the latest Tad Williams novel. :)

Mam A'Lemur 11-21-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonai (Post 130294)
Well...I'm rereading WoT for pleasure actually. I know I know you said besides WoT. :). I'm also rereading Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody trilogy. I wonder if the books after Destiny are worth reading. Anyone know? I had completely forgotten its November and all, what with ToM coming out and such. I've got to get my hands on the latest Tad Williams novel. :)

I've been meaning to finish the Rhapsody books. I read the first (and I think the second one?) when they first came out, then got sidetracked.
I'm re-reading a Patricia Cornwell (non Scarpetta) book in addition to my re-read of ToM.

Weird Harold 11-21-2010 05:55 PM

Currenty re-reading The Rivan Codex as filler betweent he two library books I just finished and the three library holds that are listed as "in transit"

The two I just finished are Intrigues: a Novel of Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey, book two of the Collegium Chronicles and The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett, a Young Adult Discworld Novel and first of four Tiffany Aching books (so far.)

Two of the three other Tiffany Aching books are among the In Transit books and the third in Transit is ToM. The fourth Tiffiany Aching book is also on hold at the library but I'm ninth in line.

dominominic 11-21-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Universum (Post 130289)
Ok, so apart from anything WOT-related, what are you/have you recently finished/are you going to start reading in the near future, and why?

Due to studies I just finished Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita. During the week to come I will start reading Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.

For fun I am, at the moment, only reading wot. I ain't got the time to read anything else too. I dislike that. Not having the time to read all I want to read. -_-

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut at the moment. Like it so far, not sure if the primary-school-teacher-esque tone is deliberate or not yet though.

Spasmodean 11-21-2010 06:27 PM

Re-reading Raymond E. Feist/Janny Wurts Mistress of the Empire books.

I always liked the idea of big magical wasps.

dominominic 11-21-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasmodean (Post 130338)
Re-reading Raymond E. Feist/Janny Wurts Mistress of the Empire books.

I always liked the idea of big magical wasps.

I killed 11 wasps this summer. Most of them with elastic bands. Those things freak me out when they get in my little shop!

Belazamon 11-22-2010 12:56 AM

Just got Deepsix and Chindi by Jack mcDevitt (scifi) from the library - I liked the first book in the series, so I'm going for the rest. Also randomly picked up a steampunk novel by George Mann called The Affinity Bridge; don't know anything about the author and never heard of the book, but the cover jumped out at me, so we'll see. Also waiting on my hold for River of Gods by Ian McDonald.

And I just realized all those authors have last names that start with M. Which doesn't surprise me for the planned reads, but is amusing for the one I randomly grabbed.

yks 6nnetu hing 11-22-2010 02:41 AM

Just finished Freedom's Choice by Anne McCaffrey, which means that the last book of the trilogy will be coming next... am almost done with book 2 of Malazan, which means that I'll probably be getting started on book 3 soon-ish, am thinking of a re-read of Harry Potter before the very last movie comes out. There are also some history books that I keep thinking I should read... who knows, I might actually do it one of these days.

GonzoTheGreat 11-22-2010 04:12 AM

I'm rereading 1632, mostly because I got a bit exasperated with the History of Philosophy I'm reading. I'd just gotten through Schopenhauer, and immediately the book slammed Nietzsche into my face. I may disagree with Descartes, but I don't think German philosophers are much of an improvement. Does anyone know any Belgian ones I could try?
Technically, I'm also reading the Bible, but I don't think I've progressed even one page during this century, so I'm not entirely sure that counts.

Mort 11-22-2010 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 130438)
I'm rereading 1632, mostly because I got a bit exasperated with the History of Philosophy I'm reading. I'd just gotten through Schopenhauer, and immediately the book slammed Nietzsche into my face. I may disagree with Descartes, but I don't think German philosophers are much of an improvement. Does anyone know any Belgian ones I could try?
Technically, I'm also reading the Bible, but I don't think I've progressed even one page during this century, so I'm not entirely sure that counts.

Belgians should stick to what they know, waffles.
The bible, lol.

Not reading anything at the moment. I was gonna start on "Brave new world" but never got around to it. A little swamped in other stuff atm. I'll probably pick something up to read at christmas vacation.

Jonai 11-22-2010 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mort (Post 130451)
The bible, lol.

Not reading anything at the moment. I was gonna start on "Brave new world" but never got around to it. A little swamped in other stuff atm. I'll probably pick something up to read at christmas vacation.

Does that mean Swedes should stick to meatballs? ;)

GonzoTheGreat 11-22-2010 05:31 AM

Quote:

They probably did. That would explain why they don't have any notable philosophers.

Davian93 11-22-2010 07:49 AM

What I've read recently:

Towers of Midnight (probably 4 times total at this point)
The Elenium (just for fun...took 5 days to read all 3 as its a very easy relaxing read)
The Way of Kings (about 150 pgs in...I put it down to read Towers of Midnight and haven't gotten back into it. Its been too hectic to focus on a new indepth novel like that.
Master & Commander
Harry Potter & Sorcerors Stone (easy read along the lines of the Elenium basically)

I typically read some books to just relax before sleep (the easy ones) and others when I actually have time to focus (tWoK type stuff)

Universum 11-22-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonai (Post 130453)

Swedish meatballs are, however, completely awesome.

yks 6nnetu hing 11-22-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonai (Post 130453)

but... but... hmm, Kirkegaard was Danish.

There's always Borelius though. Good old J. J. Borelius.

Universum 11-22-2010 08:07 AM

But Borelius was kinda cool though. When my fiancÚ has grown old, I totally want him to look like Borelius did when he came to age. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%A4tt_-_AF.jpg

Friggin' awesome.

Zanguini 11-22-2010 08:54 AM

Reading ToM currently
Later today I will read some french realism that I dont want to.
I will probably pick up Potter 2 this week sometime.
Ive also the Dresden files short story collection to read.

Belazamon 11-23-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Universum (Post 130482)
Swedish meatballs are, however, completely awesome.

Agrees:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...wedishChef.jpg

Orc 11-23-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Ok, but how do you read a waffle?