Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Book 13: Towers of Midnight (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Wells and Shayol Ghul (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4939)

sleepinghour 12-22-2010 09:47 AM

Wells and Shayol Ghul

We know that Cadsuane's and Nynaeve's Wells can still be used when the wearer is shielded (according to RJ), as well as in places like Far Madding where no one can touch the Source.

What I'm wondering is:

1) Could they also be used against Shaidar Haran, who seems to be able to block people from the Source?

2) If used against the Dark One, would that prevent him from tainting the Source again since the channeler isn't directly touching the Source? Just like you can't poison the entire water supply by poisoning a glass of water.

I think 1) is more likely to occur than 2) since the Wells don't hold that much saidar. There's more than enough to set Shaidar Haran's pants on fire, but probably not enough to seal the Bore. Still, if Rand were to get hold of a strong Well for men--maybe one stored in the Tower where Elayne and Nynaeve were brought when they used Need in T'A'R--or able to create another Eye on his own, that might be the solution to avoiding another Taint.

Glen 12-22-2010 11:45 AM

If it were going to happen, I think the most plausible way would be for Elayne to create some new wells. That way, they could basically equip all of the relevant people with it.

Having said that, I don't think 2 could work, as, if I recall correctly, once you use the power stored in the well, it returns to the True Source - to use your glass of water metaphor, it would be like having the glass of water poisoned, and then tipped into the water supply.

Landro 12-22-2010 11:51 AM

The use of Wells is an interesting suggestion but Elayne never had a Well to study unless she studied the Well Nynaeve took with her.

There is however a very big Well that has a lot more potential than what it was used for so far...... the Eye of the World. Perhaps Rand can refill it with Calandor and use the Eye to seal the Bore. Or maybe the Eye can hold both Saidin and Saidar?

Madgod 12-22-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landro (Post 136698)
The use of Wells is an interesting suggestion but Elayne never had a Well to study unless she studied the Well Nynaeve took with her.

There is however a very big Well that has a lot more potential than what it was used for so far...... the Eye of the World. Perhaps Rand can refill it with Calandor and use the Eye to seal the Bore. Or maybe the Eye can hold both Saidin and Saidar?

Doubt Rand could refill the Eye of the World. If I remember correctly it took 100 Aes Sedai from the AoL to fill it and they all died in the making. That strongly implies that even if Rand alone could refill it, the results might not be that pretty. The first idea in the first post would work, assuming of course Shaidar Haran can shield non-dark friends in the same manner.

nameless 12-22-2010 12:11 PM

The AoL Aes Sedai weren't just filling the well, though, they were also purifying the saidin they used to fill it. I always thought they must have turned themselves into human filters and died from taint overdose, though I'll be the first to acknowledge there's zero evidence for that idea in the text.

Madgod 12-22-2010 05:17 PM

Ok, even if we assume that Rand survives refilling the Eye, you are still assuming that Rand+Callandor >= 100 AoL Aes Sedai, and I doubt that is the case. In my opinion, it would be really surprising if the Eye is refilled by anyone.

Insane Ducky 12-22-2010 05:30 PM

Although we don't know that he could block Rand (or those around him) from the source. Rand seems to have his "sunshine and flowers" effect wherever he goes - that might be able to counteract even at Shayol Ghul.

Besides, I don't see why this would be different from the initial sealing of the bore, during which people could channel.

Sukoto 12-22-2010 05:56 PM

I have a feeling we won't be seeing the Eye of the World again in the series. It would be... lame.

Now here's the part where someone probably goes and looks through the interviews and finds a quote by RJ or BS saying we will see the Eye again. Also lame.

sleepinghour 12-22-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madgod (Post 136746)
Ok, even if we assume that Rand survives refilling the Eye, you are still assuming that Rand+Callandor >= 100 AoL Aes Sedai, and I doubt that is the case.

With Callandor, he'll have to link with two women and let one of them lead; it's doubtful if the woman in question would know exactly what to do.

If Rand actually ends up refilling the Eye, I think he'll do it himself through a circle of Asha'man and Aes Sedai/Wise Ones. We don't know what it was about the process that killed the 100 AoL Aes Sedai. It might not be fatal if they can skip having to purify saidin.

Weird Harold 12-22-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madgod (Post 136746)
Ok, even if we assume that Rand survives refilling the Eye, you are still assuming that Rand+Callandor >= 100 AoL Aes Sedai, and I doubt that is the case. In my opinion, it would be really surprising if the Eye is refilled by anyone.

If the Eye could hold Saidar Sorilea could fill it. It would just take her longer than it would Nyneave or the Circle-of-13 that used the BotW.

Filling a Well isn't instantaneous, and doesn't require that the OP be pumped in at maximum rate.

IIRC, there is a reference from either Cadsuane or Nynaeve to the effect of, "she devoted a few moments every day to filling the well and keeping it full."