Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   WoT Re-Read with Brandon Sanderson (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   What's the Twitter etiquette? (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5324)

Tamyrlin 03-26-2011 03:37 PM

What's the Twitter etiquette?

I've noticed that fandom has been tweeting at #wotrr for everything that they want people to view that is related to WoT. Typically, I use something like #Wot for that. I'm sure this happens all of the time, but I just noticed it recently when I was trying to read up on the latest comments about the reread and ran into stuff about JordanCon and such. It's starting to annoy me.

TankSpill 03-26-2011 03:58 PM

Yeah, it seems to me (and I'm guilty of this, I admit), that people just use hashtags much more generically than they're probably meant to be. For instance, scouring down that particular tag, I see mentions of the re-read, mentions of art over at dragonmount.com, :ahem: mentions of someone's Casting blog, mentions of Cons, idle chatting with Brandon Sanderson about general things not even relating to WoT, and maybe others. The likely reason this is happening is because they know that Sanderson and many others are much more likely to read it that way.

I blame Brandon - if he had kept us all properly fed with information through the last three books like he did with tEotW, people wouldn't have time to do anything but talk on-topic in that tag. :) :D

More seriously, I don't know if there is any etiquette, or if there even needs to be - I think overall, twitter is a less formalized medium for conversations than forums, so there should be fewer rules to be worried about.

I don't really see any harm in it, and am not bothered by seeing other wot-related stuff - it's not too hard to filter out the stuff you want to read, much like ignoring ads on websites anymore.

Tamyrlin 03-26-2011 04:09 PM

Yeah.

I'm more annoyed that I have to ignore so many things now when I read that list. Less so at the one off stuff and more so when it is obviously using a #hashtag that is completely unrelated to the material.

;) - Your links are more relevant than others.

But yeah, I agree it's pretty informal. Would be nice if Twitter would allow a user to turn off specific user tweets per hashtag. I think it is more an issue of the interface. Now if I just knew someone that worked for Twitter on their design team...

Mort 04-03-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin (Post 145863)
I'm more annoyed that I have to ignore so many things now when I read that list. Less so at the one off stuff and more so when it is obviously using a #hashtag that is completely unrelated to the material.

;) - Your links are more relevant than others.

But yeah, I agree it's pretty informal. Would be nice if Twitter would allow a user to turn off specific user tweets per hashtag. I think it is more an issue of the interface. Now if I just knew someone that worked for Twitter on their design team...

Try a twitter app other than the web-based one at twitter.com. TweetDeck for one has a bunch of filter options you can use to filter a twitterstream with.