Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Theoryland Re-Read (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Planning the reread (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5556)

Great Lord of the Dark 05-24-2011 10:48 PM

Planning the reread

Hi Gang. A recent tweet by Tamyrlin prompted me to plan the reread for AMoL.

1. My hardcovers have a total of 9174 pages.
2. I estimate 6 months to reread.
3. That makes 50 pages a night. Every night. For six months. No days off. Ok, fine, we'll add two weeks for unforeseen circumstances.

What to read, and in what order?

I am rereading for fun only, not for posting unfortunately. I know what happens, so I can read chronologically. If I were reading the series for the 1st time, publication date would dictate reading order.

I will not be reading the glossaries. Story only!
I will warm up by reading the Big White Book. Well, skimming actually. I'll only be paying attention to the sections on Seanchan and Forsaken and the pre-modern era. This will be as a prelude to the six-month read.

Reading order:
0. Big White Book
1. Strike at Shayol Ghul
2. New Spring
3. Ravens
4. The Eye of the World
... etc.

Are there any materials I am missing? Any other freebies or little-known WoT morsels I've overlooked?

Lastly, any updates on publication date? Is April 2012 still the best known target? That would mean I could start in September.

Thanks for any feedback! Also, hope this gets you all thinking about your own rereads if you're not already underway.

GL

Isabel 05-25-2011 12:02 AM

Nope, the expected release date is probably fall 2012 ;)
Good to see you again, GLotD. HOw have you been?

Great Lord of the Dark 05-25-2011 09:44 PM

rumour or fact?

I have seen that fall 2012 tossed around elsewhere, but I can't find the source. I can see why a delay would be expected given Brandon's apparent slow reread updates seemed to have lost steam in Book 3, even if the progress bar implies he's done Book 5.

So... source please!

(I am hands full of kids and preventing deaths by blind cords. Kids, get rid of all window coverings with cords. Period. Thanks!)

halo6819 05-25-2011 09:53 PM

i think i missed something, what is ravens?

also strike at shayol ghul is included in the bwb

Marie Curie 7 05-25-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Lord of the Dark (Post 150180)
I have seen that fall 2012 tossed around elsewhere, but I can't find the source. I can see why a delay would be expected given Brandon's apparent slow reread updates seemed to have lost steam in Book 3, even if the progress bar implies he's done Book 5.

So... source please!

It was strongly implied at JordanCon this year that the release date for AMOL would most likely be fall 2012 rather than spring 2012.

One of the sources is here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Jordan
JordanCon Kaffeklatch with the Rigneys 16 April 2011 - AtlantaRand reporting

Harriet mentioned in the Kaffeklatch that it was possible AMOL would end up being too big to fit in one volume, and so it might end up two books. But then Sanderson in the status update really didn't leave much opening that it would at all be possible. So.....

That was the one shocker that I heard personally, but there could be others. Oh yeah and AMOL released November 2012, but I'm sure that's been mentioned somewhere else.

Isabel 05-25-2011 11:25 PM

As Marie said it was during the coffeeklatch I attended with Harriet and Wilson.

Great Lord of the Dark 05-27-2011 06:24 PM

Ravens

Halo,
Ravens is the title of an extra chapter in The Eye of the World, only available in the Young Adult editions. It takes place several years before Moiraine comes to Two Rivers if I recall...

I knew some version of The Strike at Shayol Ghul was in the Big White Book, but I recalled there were some small differences of little consequence.

How disappointing that I might have to wait a whole year to start my reread.

From the lack of other input, I guess there are no other materials to be considered for the reread.

enak101 05-27-2011 09:05 PM

Yeah, Ravens was when Egwene was what 12 or 13? Or maybe 15. It didn't find it very interesting.

Terez 05-27-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Lord of the Dark (Post 150398)
From the lack of other input, I guess there are no other materials to be considered for the reread.

You could always trawl through the interview database (in sig link). Some good bits there that can fill in a few details.

Zombie Sammael 05-28-2011 05:23 PM

I didn't do a pre-TOM reread, so I'm doing a post-TOM/pre-AMOL reread. I'm on book four, no idea how long it'll take me.

Davian93 06-01-2011 12:36 PM

If I do a reread (a slim possibility), it will consist of either of these 2 options:

1. Simply reread Books 8-13 again as I haven't read them as many times as the first 7 (which I've read probably 50 times total in the last 16-17 years).

2. Random order reread...something I started doing a few years back to break up the monotony of the reread. I just randomly pick the books in no specific order. There are no continuity issues as I've read them all enough to not be confused.

Right now, I'm working on my GRRM reread in anticipation of Dance coming out in early July. I'm already 150 pages into Feast for Crows so I'll be done that shortly. I forgot how great his books were as I hadnt read them in 2-3 years. After that I have probably a good dozen other books to read that I haven't ever read but are sitting on my shelves.

Isabel 06-01-2011 01:01 PM

I have also decided to stop Slacking ;)))) Hahahaahah, still laughing about Ghaeldan. oh well. :D :D

So i am going to do a reread and I will make my own questionlist again.

Ishara 06-02-2011 07:25 AM

GLOTD!! Hi!!

(We - I - made the decision to get rid of all corded blinds last night and we have no kids. Just cords that brush against the blinds, and the wall and themselves, all. damn. night. Excellent idea!)

I did my last full re-read in 2010 before JordanCon, and it ttok WAY less than 6 months, and that was with me trying to actually read every word (do you do that once you're read something many times, find that you're skipping entire paragraphs because you know what happens?) You'll for sure be skipping irrelevant sections at minimum.

Before ToM, I re-read aGS only, and then went back and re-read PoD onwards, finishing again with ToM. Dav's right, it seems to me that I'm far less able to be precise with recalling what happened in PoD onwards, likely because I've simply read them less.

Frenzy 06-24-2011 11:32 PM

I'll reread with you. I even have the d20 book, so nyah. ;)

Tamyrlin 06-25-2011 12:43 AM

Ok

I'm committing to start tomorrow.

Isabel 06-25-2011 12:48 AM

We starting with book 1 or we starting with ToM and go back?

DahLliA 06-25-2011 07:50 AM

doing a reread myself now. on tDR right now.

and never read Ravens. anyone can give me a short recap?

Isabel 06-25-2011 07:59 AM

Tam is telling the story of LTT and the age of Legends to Eggy, Rand etc.

Sarevok 06-25-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DahLliA (Post 152892)
and never read Ravens. anyone can give me a short recap?

Here.

Tamyrlin 06-25-2011 10:55 AM

I'm starting with 1