Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tamyrlin's Re-read (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   TGH: Ch. 19 - Lanfear's Horn Obsession (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6961)

Tamyrlin 05-14-2012 10:04 PM

TGH: Ch. 19 - Lanfear's Horn Obsession

I mentioned the oddity of Agelmar's pull to the horn as a possible indicator that he was a darkfriend. Now, while it's true that a desire for greatness is not the sole domain of darkfriends, the Liandrin's of the world sure seem to find the Dark One at will. But I thought Lanfear's obsession was worth noting for its similarity, but even more for her inability to contain it.

Quote:

TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 16 - In the Mirror of Darkness
"No, it would never do," Selene said, "for that to fall into the wrong hands. The Horn of Valere. I could not tell you how often I've dreamed of touching it, holding it in my hands. You must promise me, when you have it, you will let me touch it."
Quote:

CHAPTER: 19 - Beneath the Dagger
"You have it." Selene's voice was exultant as her gaze rested on the ornately worked chest on Loial's saddle. She was wearing her own dress again; it looked as white as new snow to Rand. "I knew you would make the right choice. May I . . . have a look at it?"
Quote:

CHAPTER: 19 - Beneath the Dagger
"Let me try. . . ." Even for a woman of Selene's height, Loial's saddle was high above the ground. She reached up to touch the finely wrought patterns on the chest, ran her hands across them, pressed. There was a click, and she pushed the lid up, let it fall open.
Quote:

CHAPTER: 20 - Saidin
"I want to see it again," Selene said as they halted. She dismounted and strode to Loial's horse. Their shadows, long and thin, pointed west from the sun just peeking over the horizon. "Bring it down for me, alantin." Loial began to undo the straps. "The Horn of Valere."
We know that she told Rand she wanted to rule the world with him and challenge the DO and Creator, but I never looked at the Horn as one of the tools she would liked to have had to herself. It makes sense that she'd start with the Horn and move on to greater and more dangerous sources of Power. But, overall, her desire for power did not slacken during her imprisonment.

The Unreasoner 05-15-2012 02:59 AM

It's possible that she saw the Horn as a useful thing to have in her arsenal, but she may have not even believed it could work. iirc, most AoLers didn't. OP is science, a Horn that summons dead heroes whose existence was probably mostly legend to begin with? that's magic. Personally, I think that she saw it more as a symbol of power rather than powerful itself (whatever her beliefs on its power). Something to use as a symbol/idea, not a real-world weapon. Like she used it with Rand: a source of temptation. Probably to push him towards glory, but also towards saidin and herself. Temptation comes in many forms.

And:
You know you have a dirty mind if you saw 'Lanfear's Horn...' and were disapointed to find out that it's actually about a horn.

Tamyrlin 05-16-2012 09:44 AM

Meh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 189380)
It's possible that she saw the Horn as a useful thing to have in her arsenal, but she may have not even believed it could work. iirc, most AoLers didn't. OP is science, a Horn that summons dead heroes whose existence was probably mostly legend to begin with? that's magic. Personally, I think that she saw it more as a symbol of power rather than powerful itself (whatever her beliefs on its power). Something to use as a symbol/idea, not a real-world weapon. Like she used it with Rand: a source of temptation. Probably to push him towards glory, but also towards saidin and herself. Temptation comes in many forms.

And:
You know you have a dirty mind if you saw 'Lanfear's Horn...' and were disapointed to find out that it's actually about a horn.

I disagree that Lanfear doubted the Horn would work. It's an object of Power. Lanfear was used to objects being imbued with seemingly impossible powers, and I doubt she understood ever object she used, beyond learning how to use it. It is clear the Dark One wants the Horn considering how TGH begins, and if the Dark One wants it, then Lanfear would want to keep it out of his hands. Additionally, Lanfear sees it as a means to her end: to challenge the glory of the Dark One side by side with the reincarnation of Lews Therin as her lover. Her reaction to the Horn is more than a temptation for Rand; it's clear she can feel the power it contains, as does Agelmar. In fact, her desire for it is so real and intoxicating, she breaks from her planned script when she requests that they stop so she can hold it again, actually demands they stop.

I wonder if there is something about the Horn that darkfriends can sense which others cannot...like bees to honey.

GonzoTheGreat 05-16-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin (Post 189550)
It is clear the Dark One wants the Horn considering how TGH begins, and if the Dark One wants it, then Lanfear would want to keep it out of his hands.

The DO, or Ishamael?
The DO may see the Horn as just something that is part of the Pattern, and thus something that can be used, annoying or ignored depending on what approach he takes to the whole conflict.

Quote:

I wonder if there is something about the Horn that darkfriends can sense which others cannot...like bees to honey.
It makes them horny.

Which, admittedly, is a somewhat lame joke.

Enigma 05-17-2012 05:44 AM

If I'm not mistaken the Heroes summoned by the Horn have to follow the person who blew the horn. Now most of the forsaken are power hungry monsters thought some went over simply because they wanted either revenge, the ability to carry out experemens etc. In Lanfear's case we have early LTT's remark via Rand in Tear when he said "and you loved power."

I don't think that its much of a stretch for Lanfear to have two strings to her bow. First the horn is an object of power, not say as great as the CK but still it gives the wielder power and she is all for that.

Secondly it was a way to temp Rand. I suspect that the only reason she did not outright seize the Horn was that while it would have given her a gain it would have messed with her bigger plan of bringing Rand over to her faction of the Shadow and she was prepared to hold back her lust for power and the horn if it meant she had a chance at the bigger prize of a dragon reborn turned to the shadow and loyal to her.