Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tamyrlin's Re-read (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   TGH: Ch. 23 - Nynaeve, Past Turnings, and Weakening the Tower (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6994)

Tamyrlin 05-21-2012 05:01 PM

TGH: Ch. 23 - Nynaeve, Past Turnings, and Weakening the Tower

A few thoughts from Nynaeve's testing.

Detecting Saidin

Quote:

"The first time," Sheriam said, "is for what was. The way back will come but once. Be steadfast."
I've always understood for what was as something that could have happened (tweaked by Nynaeve's fears), but what if this was something that DID happen, but in the past of the soul of the individual, likely from a previous turning. In this case, Nynaeve fighting a male Forsaken, and not only that, she senses Saidin. Maybe in the last turning Nynaeve discovered a way for female channelers to detect Saidin.

Which led me to wonder: will Nynaeve rediscover that? has she always had this ability to pick things up regarding channeling talents/abilities/weaves in previous lives and turnings?

And all of this led me to the thought: will Nynaeve discover some way to channel saidar and saidin, something that is supposed to be impossible? I know, loony theory.

Sheriam - Culling strong Aes Sedai?

Sheriam is in the perfect position to make the White Tower weak, especially through the Accepted testing. I didn't notice before how much control the Mistress of Novices has in this regard. I wonder if this is part of the Black Ajah plan, to weaken the overall One Power strength of the Tower by kicking out as many of the strongest channelers as possible through the rigid rules around becoming Aes Sedai?

Terez 05-21-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin (Post 190049)
Sheriam - Culling strong Aes Sedai?

Sheriam is in the perfect position to make the White Tower weak, especially through the Accepted testing. I didn't notice before how much control the Mistress of Novices has in this regard. I wonder if this is part of the Black Ajah plan, to weaken the overall One Power strength of the Tower by kicking out as many of the strongest channelers as possible through the rigid rules around becoming Aes Sedai?

One problem with this theory is that the Black Ajah was actively trying to counter the culling:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSR 31, Assurances
Alanna harrumphed. "What else can we do, Verin? Let them go insane? Follow the Whites' mad plan?"

"I think not," Verin replied calmly. "Even if we could find women willing to bear children by gentled men, there is no guarantee the children would be able to channel, or would be girls. I did suggest that if they wanted to increase the stock, Aes Sedai should be the ones to have the children; themselves, in fact, since they put it forward in the first place. Alviarin was not amused."

"She would not be," Alanna laughed. The sudden flash of delight, breaking her fiery, dark-eyed stare, was startling. "I wish I could have seen her face."

"Her expression was... interesting, " the Brown sister said musingly.

It's definitely implied that Alviarin was speaking for those who put the plan forward.

GonzoTheGreat 05-22-2012 03:30 AM

However, Alviarin could have been speaking as a senior White rather than a Black.

Still, I do think that the DO wouldn't want too big a scarcity of strong channelers, as those can do far more damage than weak ones.

Zombie Sammael 05-23-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 190091)
However, Alviarin could have been speaking as a senior White rather than a Black.

Still, I do think that the DO wouldn't want too big a scarcity of strong channelers, as those can do far more damage than weak ones.

If True Power strength has nothing to do with One Power strength but merely the ability to channel is required, weaker channellers could be more closely tied to him by allowing them a greater degree of access to it. Of course, this goes to the question of why the Dark One hasn't just given every Darkfriend and his brother with the slightest hint of channelling access to the True Power and told 'em "tear it all to shreds".

GonzoTheGreat 05-23-2012 07:42 AM

Bonus question: why didn't the DO give access to the TP to male channelers after they went mad?

Just imagine how much more LTT could've done with that.

Enigma 05-24-2012 07:55 AM

The Dark One does not just let anyone channell his essence. From Moggy we learned that during the AoL when there were millions of darkfriends and possibly thousands of powerful forsaken if not more only a double digit number were ever allowed the honour.

Not to mention after the seals were put in place it seemed to have limited what the DO' could do in the world until they weakened a bit. None of the surviving male forsaken were given protection from the taint. The filter was only put in place when Aginor & co got released.

He didn't seem to want to give the TP and possibly couldn't even if he did.

Terez 05-24-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 190091)

It can be deduced (from something I just reread) that she wasn't a Sitter at any time before becoming Keeper. Granted, it would not be unlike RJ to contradict himself on a detail like that, but I don't believe there is anything else saying one way or the other. Of course, there's no evidence that Verin was ever a Sitter, either; the story she tells seems to be suggesting a proposal put before the Hall, but I suppose it could be something else. Nothing comes to mind, though. Verin having been a Sitter at one time is not all that unbelievable, but the Black letting a Sitter step down is not so believable unless there was another Black to replace her, and none of the pre-split Brown Sitters were Black. (Saerin, Takima, Janya)