Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Guild Wars: Theoryland (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Home Server (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7238)

czymann 08-14-2012 12:47 AM

Home Server

Ok people its coming down to the wire and we need to choose a Home Server. Right now some of us are leaning towards Yaks Bend. Allies have been notified and they are having a vote on which will be ours. Anvil Rock was my first pick, however that server was always completely full and in my opinion overpopulated. Yaks Bend appears to be the better choice right now, but make yer voices heard and let us know what you think.

ShadowbaneX 08-14-2012 01:30 AM

Yak's Bend sounds good for the reasons Stormy said, but also because it looks like I might have some friends that are going to be playing on there.

WinespringBrother 08-14-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX (Post 196803)
Yak's Bend sounds good for the reasons Stormy said, but also because it looks like I might have some friends that are going to be playing on there.

Your friends with whom I played for a bit during the BWEs are pretty cool, I could go along with that choice.

Isabel 08-14-2012 10:20 AM

Is that server mixed? (can also europeans play there?)
Where do i have to say I want to be in Yak's bend?

WinespringBrother 08-14-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabel (Post 196875)
Is that server mixed? (can also europeans play there?)
Where do i have to say I want to be in Yak's bend?

There are separate American and EU servers/worlds - I believe you will have to choose a European server based on your IP address (not 100% sure though) but you can still be in the guild - those are not region based - and AFAIK you can guest on the American server - though you may not reap all the benefits of not being on the same home world. Yak's Bend is an American server, but we should have a vote on the European server as well. The vote is going on at Celestial Phoenix's (our alliance) facebook page.

Sarevok 08-14-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinespringBrother (Post 196885)
There are separate American and EU servers/worlds - I believe you will have to choose a European server based on your IP address (not 100% sure though) but you can still be in the guild - those are not region based - and AFAIK you can guest on the American server - though you may not reap all the benefits of not being on the same home world. Yak's Bend is an American server, but we should have a vote on the European server as well. The vote is going on at Celestial Phoenix's (our alliance) facebook page.

WRONG!

Sorry for shouting, but I wanted to be clear. :)

When we get the screen where we pick the world, we DON'T pick a world, but select "North-American Worlds" (or whatever it was called) at the top somewhere. This causes the game to disconnect and re-connect and come up with the list of North-American world.

WinespringBrother 08-14-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarevok (Post 196887)
WRONG!

Sorry for shouting, but I wanted to be clear. :)

When we get the screen where we pick the world, we DON'T pick a world, but select "North-American Worlds" (or whatever it was called) at the top somewhere. This causes the game to disconnect and re-connect and come up with the list of North-American world.

Hopefully it will stay that way when the game goes live.

WinespringBrother 08-14-2012 07:09 PM

List of servers posted:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/i...-guild-wars-2/

123seem 08-14-2012 07:33 PM

From the way voting has been going on FB, Its looking like Yaks Bend is where we are gonna be.

C S Queen 08-14-2012 08:31 PM

I agree with yaks bend

czymann 08-15-2012 10:48 AM

It would be something if Yaks Bend is indeed our home server. My city of Pontiac has several nicknames other than shithole, The Yak is one of those nicknames.
Going back to the Yak!

Firseal 08-16-2012 05:30 PM

I frankly disagree with both of Storm's reasons. A heavily populated server would be best. Overflow eventually will work itself out once the distribution of player levels does, and newer players (once the game is open to the public the population will spike wildly) will move to the less populated servers. What's heavily populated now may only be mildly so once the game is open. However, the initial enviornment to be doing the game in - that is learning it - also has greater virtues with a heavily populated server. With so many events currently ranging from difficult to near impossible solo, I will take my chances that I don't roll the dice on a less populated server - and when I do want to be less bothered, seeking overflow has its attractive advantages as well. Therefore, a server that is likely to have either very high or very low populations per region suits me more than one that in general will have an average number.

It must also be noted that I empathically do not care about WvW. With this being said, a heavier populated to start server serves best, as those who DO will be the ones fighting in it, while I will get the world benefits from it rather than hope my medium populated (and then later filled to full population) server can compete, being at the first outgunned and the second relatively inexperienced.

It doesn't necessarily need to be Anvil Rock, but I actually want a heavily populated server.

ShadowbaneX 08-16-2012 06:33 PM

I think the presence of our Allies and my friends & their Allies will probably make it a high population server.

Firseal 08-16-2012 09:26 PM

I doubt the numbers difference will be that great.

Orc 08-16-2012 10:40 PM

I'm going to be wherever everyone else is, high or low population :D

Sarevok 08-17-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinespringBrother (Post 196896)
Hopefully it will stay that way when the game goes live.

I think they heard Emma's question. :)

Isabel 08-17-2012 02:28 PM

Haha, very good. There must be some wot fans who make gw.

ShadowbaneX 08-17-2012 03:16 PM

I talked to my friends and it looks like they'll be bringing nearly 300 people into it as well. That's a good solid base of players I would think...and that number could well sky-rocket if their old player base/retired members start to show up.

I think Yak's Bend is a very good idea.

Light Ranger 08-17-2012 04:23 PM

hey all.

the alliance I'm currently in is going to Sanctum of Rall. Don't know what the difference in that and Yak's is since I didn't do any BWE's, but I'll likely join you guys first thing.

BTW, I'm sure there's an article that says something about this, but can various toons on my account be on different worlds, i.e. in different guilds, without penalty?

Sarevok 08-17-2012 05:25 PM

From what I remember:
Guild are world-wide, not restricted to a server, so no worries there.
An account can be a member of several guilds, but only represent one at a time (and thus only have bonuses from one guild apply at once). iirc, guild membership(s) are still account based, just like GW1.

Being on a different home server than us won't matter much unless you want to PvP with us. You can be guest on any other world that you have friends on (although from the link I posted abose, they might not put it in on the first day?)