Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Conventions (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Theoryland North III (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8016)

Great Lord of the Dark 05-10-2013 10:08 PM

Theoryland North III

After Jordancon I managed to get to within spitting distance of Ishara's hometown, adding another city to the Theoryland North repertoire.

Ishara was horrified that my chosen form of navigation is to look at a map the night before, then miss exits and just wing it in a city I've never driven in before. Like Mat, GL is never where he needs to be, yet he always arrives there eventually. However, in light of this and other recent experiences, I may just break down and join the 21st century by acquiring some form of cell phone.

Ishara also realized that she had no idea what I looked like and may have panicked momentarily, until the nerd carrying A Memory of Light stepped into the coffee shop. Did she also notice the word GRIEF etched into the back of my vehicle? What else would I drive but a Grief Wagon?

Ishara in person turns out to be very much like her online personality, so we instantly fell into easy chats about the new book, my reread blog, Jordancon, other Theorylanders we've met, characters we love and hate, theories that failed, relationships, and so on, much as we always did in the days when I frequented the Theroyland chat room.

Two hours breezed by, and she only twitched once to look at her smart phone...

For my part, it was sheer joy to meet another old friend I'd never met in person, and one whose attention to my projects has made the effort very rewarding.

I was able to dazzle her with one find she didn't think anyone else had picked up on, though I'd wager at least two particular Theorylanders did: On page 231, they are both mentioned in one sentence. "Uno?" Elayne asked with shock, pulling Moonshadow to a halt. Coincidence? No such thing in these books.

These Theoryland North meetups are quite fun, and I hope to meet more and more of you until that day when I finally make it to Jordancon. Until then, I occassionally visit cities in the Northeastern part of the continent. Upcoming this year are Syracuse, Philadelphia, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, and central France.

Ishara, I promise to update the blog soon (worked on it tonight in fact).

Cheers, gang!

Isabel 05-11-2013 10:25 AM

Sounds like an awesome meet! Were you a lot too late?
But i guess you saw pictures of Ishara before?

Oh and when are you in France and o you hav time to meet up? I might be able to go there and to some sightseeing.

GonzoTheGreat 05-11-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Lord of the Dark (Post 215279)
... my chosen form of navigation is to look at a map the night before...

That's some highly advanced navigating right there.
Do you take it one step further still and look at a relevant map, or just one that is conveniently available when you are doing your preparation?

Isabel 05-11-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 215284)
That's some highly advanced navigating right there.
Do you take it one step further still and look at a relevant map, or just one that is conveniently available when you are doing your preparation?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

SauceyBlueConfetti 05-11-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabel (Post 215287)
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I for one am not a fan of GPS. Ask Isabel....ours navigated us to an Air Force base (probably my fault) but later kept routing us to a highway overpass that was still being built. Seriously. It hada gap in the road about 60 feet long and huge "road closed" barricades

By the time we made it to the airport we were laughing hysterically!

Isabel 05-12-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti (Post 215288)
I for one am not a fan of GPS. Ask Isabel....ours navigated us to an Air Force base (probably my fault) but later kept routing us to a highway overpass that was still being built. Seriously. It hada gap in the road about 60 feet long and huge "road closed" barricades

Yeah, that was an awesome ride! Also because we both had time to make it to our flights:)

Khoram 05-12-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti (Post 215288)

At least you got to see some cool planes, right?

Right?

GL, when you decide to drop by Montreal, let me know. I'll figure out a way to work my schedule around that.

Ishara 05-13-2013 09:36 AM

LOL - I was FREAKING out, since it didn't occur to me to ask what he'd be wearing (what does the Great Lord wear to Starbucks?), or bring my own WoT book, or you know, plan ahead. So, I looked around in a panic ID'd the two men sitting by themselves and eliminated them (one was simply far too douchey looking, and the other had a smart phone), so I hung out on fb till he made his way. To be fair, the poor Great Lord was trying to make his way during Toronto rush hour, which would have helped no one. ;)

It was SO much fun to chat theories and JordanCon and his re-read blog (which I read faithfully, and has never failed to give me food for thought). We talked a lot about Perrin/ Faile and their Shaido arc, and how relaible their POVs are. The Great Lord has some interesting theories!

And I only checked my phone cause I haven't got a watch, and I had promised to be home in time for bedtime. :p Which I was. :)

It was a real pleasure, and I can't wait for the next visit!

SauceyBlueConfetti 05-14-2013 02:45 PM

Profile pages usually crack me up...but this one in particular just
made
me
sad

Quote:

Great Lord of the Dark has not made any friends yet
awww. you would think one of the Chosen would be kiss ass enough to friend him :p

ShadowbaneX 05-14-2013 02:55 PM

The Great Lord of the Dark has no friends, only servants.

Great Lord of the Dark 05-24-2013 12:54 PM

Master Google's maps

Master Google makes a fine (relevant) map, but under pressure I pull over to a bus stop and look at what they can tell me about the area. Might have happened once or twice recently.

Gosh Saucey, I hope that's not some poor defunct account of mine that is friendless? Or worse, my Theoryland profile? I'm pretty sure I screwed up some great yahoo and gmail account names over the years by forgetting passwords.

Mrs. Dark says I cannot ditch her with her wonderful relatives to gallivant off with Theorylanders, so sorry Isabel. I'll have to find a non-family-visit-related reason to get to Europe and praise Nynaeve with you.

Isabel 05-25-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Lord of the Dark (Post 215456)
Mrs. Dark says I cannot ditch her with her wonderful relatives to gallivant off with Theorylanders, so sorry Isabel. I'll have to find a non-family-visit-related reason to get to Europe and praise Nynaeve with you.

LOL, sounds awesome. You could also come to Jordan Con to meet up with me :)

GonzoTheGreat 05-26-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Lord of the Dark (Post 215456)
Mrs. Dark says I cannot ditch her with her wonderful relatives to gallivant off with Theorylanders, so sorry Isabel.

If gallivanting is not allowed, then you could suggest the alternative of traipsing.