Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Hey New Users of Theoryland! (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New to the series (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8060)

Mike 07-11-2013 11:44 AM

New to the series

Hi, new to the series and not sure if it's just not popular in the UK, but can't find anyone to discuss the series with! This looks like a good place to start. Also, only on the sixth book, so please god no spoilers :P

Isabel 07-11-2013 11:59 AM

Welcome Mike. We have quite a few members from the UK. It should be quite known series for thefantasy readers.
So what do you wanna discuss?

Btw, i am from the netherlands:)

Sarevok 07-11-2013 12:23 PM

Ooooh, someone to welcome!

Hello, Mike :D

Mike 07-11-2013 03:52 PM

Thanks for the welcome! Really enjoying the series so far - more so than RR Martin's 'Song of Fire and Ice' - but i hate the way he writes some of the female characters? Is this a common notion? Like i say, i'm only onto the sixth book, so there could be some drastic character progression. That being said, do really like Aviendha and Nynaeve.

Zombie Sammael 07-11-2013 07:47 PM

All the UK fans on this board moved to Australia. ;)

Welcome, Mike.

Isabel 07-11-2013 11:21 PM

Good to hear you like nynaeve:) i used to have an official fanclub for her:)

yks 6nnetu hing 07-12-2013 05:57 AM

Welcome Mike! yay we have a newbie! please don't go away!

*mutters to self* ok, keep it cool yks, you can do this, don't scare the newbie away

for the writing of female characters, what a lot of people tend to forget is how much the world has changed since the books were started; and considering that Jordan had been germinating the idea since the 80s; it's actually quite impressive that the female characters aren't the princesses waiting to be rescued as in so many Fantasy tropes but neither are they misoandric feminists. At least, not the way I read it ;)

from a female point of view, I think RJ captured the female to female relationshipsquite well, as those can range from best friends forever to rather incredible cattiness. as for the female-male relationships, meh. there's always some power struggle involved, and that comes in very many ways, some of which RJ did well, some not so well.

have you ever read some of the Fantasy/SciFi from the '60s? talk about a social disconnect. Some days I'd like to whack Henlein over the head just for good measure. But looking at the era, it's astonishing to realize that the wiriters of Speculative Fiction then were actually the progressive ones!

Mike 07-12-2013 08:28 AM

Aha, i promise i won't go away. Thanks again for the welcome!

I can understand that it was written in the 80s/90s, but he's able to create a deep world and an intricate political system, yet some of his characters feel so basic. It just seems he's taken the most simple idea of romantic feelings and gone 'boys don't understand girls, and girls can't think of anything but boys'. A bit annoying to read sometimes but still my favorite fantasy books after Robin Hobb!

Haha true, but i thought Dune is still a good read today.

So, do the books get better after book 6? Or down hill?

yks 6nnetu hing 07-12-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 216011)

I can understand that it was written in the 80s/90s, but he's able to create a deep world and an intricate political system, yet some of his characters feel so basic. It just seems he's taken the most simple idea of romantic feelings and gone 'boys don't understand girls, and girls can't think of anything but boys'. A bit annoying to read sometimes but still my favorite fantasy books after Robin Hobb!

Haha true, but i thought Dune is still a good read today.

it doesn't change too much - if it took a sudden unexpected u-turn in the middle of the series, when it comes to writing certain characters, the writer woudl royally piss off the fans.

however, there is still considerable character growth. And of course Sanderson writes the last books in a slightly different way as well

just... don't believe all the hate Sanderson gets online, read for yourself, then decide :) people always hate more intensely than they like, particularly online

Terez 07-12-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing (Post 216012)
people always hate more intensely than they like, particularly online

Not so sure that's true.

And to Mike, welcome. :)

yks 6nnetu hing 07-15-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 216013)
Not so sure that's true.

And to Mike, welcome. :)

let's put it this way: when people mildly like something they're not as likely to tell everyone and their uncle over and over and over again that it was ok.

Nazbaque 07-15-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

We'll hold you to that you know!

Welcome Mike!!

You may call me Naz!!

Anyway I've just been down memory lane reading old noob threads on Yuku/ez. Great stuff there. There is my personal thread and Sare's thread, the thread where my trusty fire extinguisher was replaced with powdered magnesium and lithium and I turned into Lightning-Man and zapped Zae, also there was the thread where PD closed his bakery blaming me and DahL and we decided to rule the net with our obviously infinite powers as Nazgul and Llama which led to a channeling war between me, DahL, Bane and PD until finally Bane set demons on me and DahL turned into a hippie, and of course there was the thread where hoda(man I miss hoda) was jesus the son of PD-god (a vagrant one but anyway) and I sold him to Romans, then there was Gonzo's long awaited noob thread and so many others.

*Sigh*

They were great days

Terez 07-15-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing (Post 216039)
let's put it this way: when people mildly like something they're not as likely to tell everyone and their uncle over and over and over again that it was ok.

Many of the "Brandon haters" do exactly that. ;)

Sarevok 07-15-2013 03:00 PM

LOL, Naz, that was great! :)

*goes poke the greeter*

Nazbaque 07-16-2013 10:43 AM

Ha! The boards tried to pull a fast one on me with internal server errors, but I copied my post on Word and just pasted it here instead of having to do all the work twice.

Anyway the actual post:

I was too lazy to put up links last time so:

My welcome thread or the thread of many resurrections

Birgitte's thread Longest welcome thread and a seriously old one too

Sare's thread which also got very long. Ah he was a natural hijacking his own thread

Gonzo's long awaited thread

The Saa's thread where PD was god and I sold hoda to Romans

Hoda's welcome back thread ah the one where I first roasted marshmallows on my own flames

Ieyasu's thread or the one with the chanelling war started by the closing of PD's bakery a.k.a. the one where hoda said vagina

jlm's thread where DahL and I rubbed the bakery thing in PD's face, Zae was remarkably fast and Finns were weird

Fig's welcome thread where we rubbed it in some more and Sare was awesome even though he was still a noob and too lazy to google

Mangin's thread where I didn't deserve any respect and people kept stealing my fire extinguisher

Cholly's thread where Hopper created a monster a.k.a. the Lightning-Man thread

Cary's thread a truly fun thread including the history of my fires

Queen of Malkier's thread a great example of a generally fun thread and chess is still better than korfball Sare

rand's thread which I completely missed but was set on fire in it anyway

Tomp 07-16-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

After book 6 the world opens up and you get more POV characters from different parts of the world.
There will be new semi-central characters introduced who'll feel like they've always been there when you reach book 9 or 10.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to this weird place.

Sarevok 07-16-2013 05:10 PM

Aaaaah... Naz!!!

Now I have to read all those! :( :)

Edit to add:
*trows a korfball at Naz' chessboard*

Nazbaque 07-16-2013 10:15 PM

*Sets sare's korfball on fire*

Checkmate!

yks 6nnetu hing 07-17-2013 07:28 AM

oh blast, I went and found my newbie-thread

December 2003 :eek: that's... that's... almost 10 years ago!

Nazbaque 07-17-2013 09:02 AM

And it's not closed! Wanna set me on fire in it, yks?