Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Hey New Users of Theoryland! (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hello Again? (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8078)

daoinesidhe 08-01-2013 08:05 PM

Hello Again?

I don't know if it is entirely appropriate for me to post this in the new users portion of this forum as I've had this account at least for 2 years, but I haven't logged in here in awhile, and have been away from most WoT fan sites since release until now as I just finished aMoL.

I had been hoping that there would still be some interesting discussions going on here or at Dragonmount, but it appears that activity on both sites is nowhere near what it used to be...

I guess that's mine own fault for waiting so long to read the last book, but I was soo trepedatious about finally finishing the series that I decided to do a complete re-read when aMoL came out even though I had finished my "re-read before aMoL comes out" in November...

And so I've come back to find Luckers seemingly black-listed from the WoT community(not my place to judge the rightness or wrongness of that so I'll leave that there) and many of the members of both boards whose posts I most enjoyed reading either very rarely posting, or gone completely...

So I guess I'm wondering what is the state of WoT fandom right now, and what have the veterans of this community moved onto? Is WoT still a large part of your lives, or have you transferred that zeal for this series to another one? Or have many of you moved on to something completely different than epic fantasy series, including WoT.

That said, Hello to all, and I hope to participate in some exciting discussions going forward, wherever they exist in regards to the WoT.

Sarevok 08-02-2013 09:28 AM

Welcome back!

And no, it not weird, there've been plenty of "I'm back" posts on here.

GonzoTheGreat 08-02-2013 09:58 AM

Well, it is weird, but it is apparently a fairly standard type of weird.

Zaela Sedai 08-02-2013 12:42 PM

Agreed, Welcome Back :)

suttree 08-02-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daoinesidhe (Post 216221)
And so I've come back to find Luckers seemingly black-listed from the WoT community(not my place to judge the rightness or wrongness of that so I'll leave that there) .

Welcome back daoine!

Just to touch on the above briefly. For all that Luckers could have went about things better...he had some very valid, important points to make. All too often people focus on the "how" when they should be thinking about the "why".

daoinesidhe 08-02-2013 10:14 PM

While I don't really want to start a discussion based on the Lucker's blacklisting (at least not quite yet, I've only just returned afterall!), for the most part I agreed with many of the things he had to say in regards to the Brandon Sanderson written books.

I'm not sure how I feel about how he went about saying all of those things, and as I said previously, it isn't my place to judge those actions. It was only one of the more surprising things I learned upon my return to WoT fandom. I mean, I could see it starting to happen when I stopped reading the forums right around release time, but it still kinda floored me.

And now on to other things before any conflagrations can occur...

Nazbaque 08-03-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daoinesidhe (Post 216229)
And now on to other things before any conflagrations can occur...

too late

*sets himself on fire*

Welcome back dao

Terez 08-03-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

I've come back to find Luckers seemingly black-listed from the WoT community...

Not really. Just Dragonmount. He posted here recently.

Quote:

So I guess I'm wondering what is the state of WoT fandom right now, and what have the veterans of this community moved onto?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I am taking a much-needed break from working on the interview database, but I plan to go back to it whenever I need a break from Chopin. (Working on an online edition of his correspondence.) I check in here every now and then to see if anything is happening.

GonzoTheGreat 08-03-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 216237)
Can't speak for anyone else, but I am taking a much-needed break from working on the interview database, but I plan to go back to it whenever I need a break from Chopin. (Working on an online edition of his correspondence.)

Would it be an idea to have Brandon write a bit more of that? :p

Terez 08-03-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 216240)
Would it be an idea to have Brandon write a bit more of that? :p

What, correspondence? He goes on and on. :D I don't blame him for it but it does make my job a little overwhelming. And it's just not the same as RJ...I should be able to keep up with it to an extent doing part-time work; I just refuse to allow myself to stress out over it any more. Chopin is like RJ in that he's already said all he's going to say, but every now and then someone finds a new bit. Some scholar in Chopin's case; usually Marie for RJ. :) The problem with Chopin is that he didn't speak English, which sucked for him when he lived in England and Scotland after the 1848 Revolution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopin
19 August 1848
[after a long list] Why should I enumerate all these names! I have got to know very many of the grand monde, [footnote where he adds a list of more names later] among them for instance, the duchess of Somerset; the duke is the premier duke of England, and on great occasions, for instance at the coronation, she follows directly behind the Queen. Among the notabilities is lady Byron, with whom I am on very friendly terms. We converse, like the goose with the sucking pig, she in English, I in French. I understand why she bored Byron.

Translated from Polish. Sometimes it's French. Fortunately most things are already translated but the ones that aren't drive me crazy.

daoinesidhe 08-03-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 216237)
Not really. Just Dragonmount. He posted here recently.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I am taking a much-needed break from working on the interview database, but I plan to go back to it whenever I need a break from Chopin. (Working on an online edition of his correspondence.) I check in here every now and then to see if anything is happening.

Well I'm glad to hear that Luckers hasn't been completely black-listed from all WoT fandom. Also glad to see that you are still handing around Terez, not that I expected you to be doing something else :P.

Terez 08-03-2013 08:55 PM

Sorry to disappoint you; there's a long list of stuff I've been dying to get to work on for years now. (Sometimes I think people lack imagination.) But I did something WoT-related today.

Luckers 08-16-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suttree (Post 216228)
Welcome back daoine!

Just to touch on the above briefly. For all that Luckers could have went about things better...he had some very valid, important points to make. All too often people focus on the "how" when they should be thinking about the "why".

Totes could have gone about things better. Ah well.

DahLliA 08-16-2013 07:45 AM

Welcome back!