Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General "Other" Books Discussion (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   The Fool's Assassin (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8185)

yks 6nnetu hing 11-13-2013 08:29 AM

The Fool's Assassin

*happy dance*

linky

Isabel 11-13-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing (Post 218273)
*happy dance*

linky

I am not quite sure what i feel about it.
But I am happy that you are very happy about it:D:D:D:D

Sarevok 11-13-2013 03:49 PM

Sounds good. I presume it follows Fitz and/or the Fool. I had to put down the Liveship traders... too annoying. :(
I loved the first trilogy though, and the Tawny was ok. :)

Zombie Sammael 11-13-2013 08:00 PM

My only problem is how old all the characters must be by this stage. If Chade isn't dead then I might not be able to put up with it.

Uno 11-15-2013 11:02 PM

I imagine I'll pick it up, but it would be nice if FitzChivalry stopped 1) being the world's greatest sad sack and 2) considered standing up to his largely abusive and supremely ungrateful family.

Oatman 08-20-2014 04:51 AM

Just smashed through the book.

1) being the world's greatest sad sack - continues

2) considered standing up to his largely abusive and supremely ungrateful family - didn't happen

In a word, this book was slow. In two words, very slow. The story pretty much ended where it should have started. If i had my time again I'd wait for the finished series.

Uno 08-20-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oatman (Post 223243)
In a word, this book was slow. In two words, very slow. The story pretty much ended where it should have started. If i had my time again I'd wait for the finished series.

I just finished it the other day, myself. It wasn't poorly written by any means, and I won't say that I didn't find it somewhat enjoyable, but it was very slow. All that happened was a general set-up for the actual story to begin, and the entire thing could probably have been condensed into two or three chapters.

yks 6nnetu hing 08-21-2014 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uno (Post 223253)
I just finished it the other day, myself. It wasn't poorly written by any means, and I won't say that I didn't find it somewhat enjoyable, but it was very slow. All that happened was a general set-up for the actual story to begin, and the entire thing could probably have been condensed into two or three chapters.

that's exactly what I tought the first time I read the first 2 books of the Tawny Man series. Reading them again though, I'm always amazed at how much actually happened... while I thought nothing was happening :p

Oatman 08-21-2014 09:40 PM

In the first book of the Tawny Man, Fitz rescues Dutiful. If it was paced like Fools Assasin, by the end of the book Fitz would have learned that Dutiful had gone missing.
The book was well written, but I spent the whole the whole time waiting for something to happen. By the time it did, the book was over.

Uno 08-28-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarevok (Post 218290)
. I had to put down the Liveship traders... too annoying.

Really? I thought liveships were one of the most clever and novel concept in fantasy I've read in a long time.

yks 6nnetu hing 09-02-2014 04:05 AM

I'm reading it now, am about 2/3 in and will probably finish it tonight.

I absolutely do not agree about nothing happening! there's lots happening

Spoiler:
things that happened: Bee was born. Looked like Molly was going crazy but she wasn't; instead Fitz has another daughter. Molly died. Fitz gets saddled with teenagers who are even more entitled than Malta. The Fool keeps sending messagers that keep dying in mysterious and gruesome ways.

stuff to ponder: 1)what is Bee, exactly? She's not a White, her eyes are clearly called blue, not "colorless". but she does have flyaway hair and she's really pale/blonde. and the dreams, wtf is up with that? 2)where is the Fool and what happened to him? 3)Fitz's unintentional and Chade's intentional Healing. Does this mean that Fitz may live for centuries like Kestrel? 4) Dutiful does not seem very dutiful at all. I'm sure there'll be trouble because of all the gallivating. 5) related to #4 - Nettle.

The writing style is indeed more dreamy and it feels slower because of it. I think this is intentional what with Molly and all the beekeeping.

Uno 09-02-2014 04:19 PM

Whether a lot happened or not sort of depends on what this trilogy is supposed to be about. If it's supposed to be about Fitz and the fool, there was not that much forward momentum. If it's supposed to be about Fitz, the Fool, and Bee, then Bee took an awfully long time to show up. Also, if Bee is now at the center, I'm rather afraid it's going to be another coming of age story, the most common trope in all of fantasy literature. A very young person that does jolly amazing things ... never seen that before.

yks 6nnetu hing 09-03-2014 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uno (Post 223647)
Whether a lot happened or not sort of depends on what this trilogy is supposed to be about. If it's supposed to be about Fitz and the fool, there was not that much forward momentum. If it's supposed to be about Fitz, the Fool, and Bee, then Bee took an awfully long time to show up. Also, if Bee is now at the center, I'm rather afraid it's going to be another coming of age story, the most common trope in all of fantasy literature. A very young person that does jolly amazing things ... never seen that before.

Ok, I finished the book now. my things to ponder #2 kind of got answered.

I think it will still be a Fitz and Fool story, but Hobb doesn't want Bee to be a prop-character just sitting there while other characters do all the action. Also, she showed up much before she ... er... emerged.

Uno 09-03-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing (Post 223650)
Ok, I finished the book now. my things to ponder #2 kind of got answered.

I think it will still be a Fitz and Fool story, but Hobb doesn't want Bee to be a prop-character just sitting there while other characters do all the action. Also, she showed up much before she ... er... emerged.

Well, like I said, I did find it enjoyable (if slow), but, then, I've read every single Robin Hobb book quite eagerly, and I suspect that this one might find a cooler reception among less enthusiatic readers.

yks 6nnetu hing 09-04-2014 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uno (Post 223661)
Well, like I said, I did find it enjoyable (if slow), but, then, I've read every single Robin Hobb book quite eagerly, and I suspect that this one might find a cooler reception among less enthusiatic readers.

Ah, ok I think I get your point now. Similar to the Solider Son trilogy and the Liveship trilogy: if it's not the Hobb story they expect, people will dislike it.

My favourite of the Six Dutchies stories (so far) is the Liveship, then the Rain Wilds tied with the original Apprentice and then the Golden series. This one promises - for my personal taste - to be better than the Golden series.

Uno 09-04-2014 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing (Post 223667)
Ah, ok I think I get your point now. Similar to the Solider Son trilogy and the Liveship trilogy: if it's not the Hobb story they expect, people will dislike it.

My favourite of the Six Dutchies stories (so far) is the Liveship, then the Rain Wilds tied with the original Apprentice and then the Golden series. This one promises - for my personal taste - to be better than the Golden series.

I think I liked the Liveships best, myself. In fact, I'm kind of hoping for a new trilogy about the Pirate Isles.

Lupusdeusest 05-03-2015 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing (Post 223667)
Similar to the Solider Son trilogy

I know it's an ancient typo, but this is apt.

--

I think as well a lot of the writing style difference is for Bee's sake. She's not Fitz, she's not Wintrow. As much as Fitz is narrating for much of it, this book can't help but be flavoured by her.

yks 6nnetu hing 08-12-2015 04:29 AM

The new one came out yesterday! wheeee!

I don't have it yet, and even if I get it, I probably won't have time to read it any time soon. still. wheee!

Lupusdeusest 08-12-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing (Post 231398)
The new one came out yesterday! wheeee!

I don't have it yet, and even if I get it, I probably won't have time to read it any time soon. still. wheee!

Zombie and I are saving it for a trip later this year... it's going to be a painful wait.

yks 6nnetu hing 08-13-2015 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest (Post 231421)
Zombie and I are saving it for a trip later this year... it's going to be a painful wait.

yeah... we're moving in 3 weeks; all the money goes into the new house. and vacation days. and waking hours. and, did I mention, money?