Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Wheel of Time Discussion (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   So I'm re-reading... (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8694)

Figbiscuit 09-24-2015 06:02 AM

So I'm re-reading...
 
Mostly I just thought I'd say that.

This is my first re-read of any kind since the last book was released, possibly the last two books. As in, I read the last two books as they were released but didn't read anything previous at that time.

It's also been a long, a long long time, since I read the early books, quite often I just picked the series up at a later point to refresh my memory before a new book came out.

I had lots of comments about things I've picked up on this time around - I'm currently approaching the end of TGH - which I'd never really either noticed or understood the significance of before, no matter how many times I read the books. I've forgotten most of them now. I will try make an effort to notice and remember to come and mention them, possibly. None of it is ground breaking of course but if some conversation comes out of it that will be nice.

And that's all I have to say about that. Have a nice day :cool:

GonzoTheGreat 09-24-2015 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figbiscuit (Post 232927)
I had lots of comments about things I've picked up on this time around - I'm currently approaching the end of TGH - which I'd never really either noticed or understood the significance of before, no matter how many times I read the books. I've forgotten most of them now. I will try make an effort to notice and remember to come and mention them, possibly. None of it is ground breaking of course but if some conversation comes out of it that will be nice.

Once upon a time, a long long time ago, in a country far away from here, someone invented writing. Maybe you can find someone to teach you.

Weiramon 09-24-2015 12:08 PM

Burn my soul, I can't decide whether reading and writing is beneath a Lord and best left to peasants such as yourselves.





Or whether it is above your station and the sole purview of your betters.

Figbiscuit 09-24-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 232929)
Once upon a time, a long long time ago, in a country far away from here, someone invented writing. Maybe you can find someone to teach you.

Maybe...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiramon (Post 232937)
Burn my soul, I can't decide whether reading and writing is beneath a Lord and best left to peasants such as yourselves.


Or whether it is above your station and the sole purview of your betters.

Or both.

I can't believe I missed so many obvious signs about Ingtar

Khoram 10-04-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figbiscuit (Post 232940)
I can't believe I missed so many obvious signs about Ingtar

This. I started a reread back in June, and I'm only on tFoH. It's crazy how much you realize you miss when you first read the books, and even after years of not reading the earlier books.

Also, I can't believe I missed this thread. XD

Nazbaque 10-04-2015 09:50 PM

Ingtar was a shock to me too the first time around. I think that was where WoT stopped being black and white for me and I could see the full spectrum of colour. Still one of my favourite characters.

Khoram 10-04-2015 10:26 PM

I still get chills when Rand says that prayer for him before he heads off after the Seanchan.

Figbiscuit 10-05-2015 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoram (Post 233226)
I still get chills when Rand says that prayer for him before he heads off after the Seanchan.

Yep, I got that too, much more so this time.

Also Verin clearly lied about Moiraine sending her off after the boys, that is smackingly obvious this time around. There were so many clues to so many things, I'm looking forward to it being intuitively obvious about Graendal :rolleyes:

I've just started The Shadow Rising. I always feel the end of TDR is a little rushed, or possibly I read it quickly because it's so fast paced, but even this time it didn't settle well with me about it being Ishamael. That particular killing always feels a little of a cop-out.

Also, Maiden's Kiss - is it really just kissing...?

Davian93 10-05-2015 08:40 AM

I've probably reread Books 1-7 20-30 times all the way and then the rest probably a dozen to a half dozen times from Book 8 being a dozen to the Sanderson books being maybe 2-3 (so less than a half dozen I guess) and aMoL just once...cant motivate myself to do a reread.

The point of that longwinded sentence was to preface that even with that many rereadings (and a really good memory for things), I still catch things I missed before while rereading.

I still enjoy tEotW the most of all his books...even though its probably not as good as the peak of Books 4-5-6, I just love the writing and all the seeds he plants in that book that you get to see come to fruition over the next 25 years of his writing.

I also still get really sad when I think about all that as it makes me really miss RJ.

Davian93 10-05-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoram (Post 233226)
I still get chills when Rand says that prayer for him before he heads off after the Seanchan.

THIS.

What a brilliant scene by RJ. Its one of my top 5 for TGH...my favorite scene is probably Rand's meeting with the Amyrlin I think. And TGH was written well before the Wonder Girls got super annoying so all the Tower scenes are pretty good too.

Khoram 10-05-2015 09:39 AM

I must say, once they take off on their own, it gets quite laborious to read Nynaeve and Elayne's scenes. I would much rather read from the the ta'veren's povs. It just gets so tedious at this point. Event I don't mind as much right now, because I at least like to read the parts with the Aiel. Although she still annoys me.

Figbiscuit 10-12-2015 10:26 AM

Yes, Egwene is annoying me more this time around, I blame you lot for all the Eg-bashing that went on :eek:

Now Perrin has his hammer it seems like an awfully long time away before that particular plot is resolved.

Anyone else ever read the Rand in Rhuidean scenes in reverse order?

Terez 10-12-2015 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figbiscuit (Post 233442)
Anyone else ever read the Rand in Rhuidean scenes in reverse order?

Yup. I had to in order to make a rough timeline of the Aiel journey to the Waste.

Davian93 10-12-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 233444)
Yup. I had to in order to make a rough timeline of the Aiel journey to the Waste.

I did it a couple times way, way back in the day just to do it chronologically...makes an interesting read to say the least. That sequence is one of my favorite in all the books to e honest.

connabard 10-13-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoram (Post 233236)
I must say, once they take off on their own, it gets quite laborious to read Nynaeve and Elayne's scenes. I would much rather read from the the ta'veren's povs. It just gets so tedious at this point. Event I don't mind as much right now, because I at least like to read the parts with the Aiel. Although she still annoys me.

I just find that they seem to get nearly nothing accomplished? I haven't re-read since AMoL's release, and I do have bias towards the wonderboys over the wondergirls so I could be misremembering things, but Mat and Rand seem to get somewhere every book (Perrin the exception, though I relate to his character the most so I still enjoy his more... laborious chapters)

I find that Elayne and Nynaeve don't really do much. Though I am planning to re-read soon and perhaps my perception will change... I can say Nynaeve is one of my favourite characters, her cognitive dissonance is absolutely hilarious

Figbiscuit 10-15-2015 06:38 AM

I think I've previously underrated TSR as a book, the tone definitely appears to change - everyone suddenly gets a lot more strained and harder and less trusting, I suppose which is a natural reaction to the appearance of the Dragon. I never fail to be amazed by RJ's nuances of text, he changes moods so subtly you don't even realise it's happened until after the fact.

Then with Lanfear and Asmodean arriving - I wonder if anyone really picked up on that first time around. Now, of course, I can see the clues, but I was probably 16 or 17 when I first read this book, reading it simply as a straight story, in no way did I see the hidden layers.

As for the wondergirls, Elayne and Nynaeve are on their way to Tanchico. I had forgotten that the Tanchico scenes open with Egeanin, I am curious to see whether a lot of the point of all that bit is to fill more for back story on the Black Ajah, Moghedian and the Seanchan.

Nazbaque 10-15-2015 09:13 AM

I was suspicious of the alter ego characters, but Forsaken in disguise was just one of my theories. "High ranking darkfriends" didn't really automatically jump to "disguised Forsaken" in my mind yet and at that point the only introduced and living ones were Lanfear, Rahvin and Sammael. Four were already dead, we knew that there were a total of thirteen and we didn't know that they could be resurected. Mesaana, Semirhage, Graendal, Moghedien, Demandred and Asmodean were still unknowns at that point. I suspected Lanfear being one, but Asmodean didn't fit in at all with what I thought was going on and so I was thrown off the scent.

Figbiscuit 10-19-2015 10:49 AM

I don't know how I managed miss the Lanfear / Keille connection because it's really face smackingly obvious.

I had another observation which I've forgotten now. I did say this thread wasn't going to be anything ground breaking...

Nazbaque 10-19-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figbiscuit (Post 233561)
I don't know how I managed miss the Lanfear / Keille connection because it's really face smackingly obvious.

Not really considering that you hadn't yet been exposed to RJ's patterns for long enough. Around LOC or ACOS would be enough, but not TSR.

Rand al'Fain 10-19-2015 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazbaque (Post 233564)
Not really considering that you hadn't yet been exposed to RJ's patterns for long enough. Around LOC or ACOS would be enough, but not TSR.

Yeah, TSR when things are really beginning to get going.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.