Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Non WoT Discussion (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Welcome to Non WoT Discussion (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8742)

Tamyrlin 10-22-2015 12:57 PM

Welcome to Non WoT Discussion
 
Since questions and concerns about this forum come up from time to time, some clarification of a few things pertaining to Non Wot would be welcome.

Wot Moderators: Chosen

I thought this was well known: the five Mods who handle the Wheel of Time related forums are not responsible for Non Wot and Non Wot related moderation. That falls to Nae'blis, and at times that falls to me. It has been this way since the dawn of this particular forum category. The Wot Mods are fulfilling the duties we gave them. If you would like to see something work differently on the Wot related forums, respectfully offer up your time and energy to the Mods.

About Non Wot Moderation

We've taken a mostly hands off approach for over fifteen years to Non Wot and will likely continue to do so. Please don't use that as an excuse to be assholes to one another.

Nae'blis has the thankless job of watching over the Non WoT related forums, tackling spam (fun times), and jumping in when necessary to put out the fires. As Smokey Bear says, only you can prevent forum fires. Yes you.

GonzoTheGreat 10-22-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamyrlin (Post 233646)
As Smokey Bear says, only you can prevent forum fires. Yes you.

Where there's smoke, there is fire. So should we go bear hunting now? That's not really easy for me; the nearest wild bears live hundreds of kilometers away, in other countries (Sweden and such).

Daekyras 10-23-2015 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 233650)
Where there's smoke, there is fire. So should we go bear hunting now? That's not really easy for me; the nearest wild bears live hundreds of kilometers away, in other countries (Sweden and such).

No way. For two reasons.

1. Wild Bears are noble and beautiful creatures.

2. Too much work.

Let's go hunting the bears in zoos. It's much more fun. Those guys are like sitting ducks. Speaking of which- most zoos have penguins so we can hunt those bad boys too. :)

Rand al'Fain 10-23-2015 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekyras (Post 233673)
No way. For two reasons.

1. Wild Bears are noble and beautiful creatures.

2. Too much work.

Let's go hunting the bears in zoos. It's much more fun. Those guys are like sitting ducks. Speaking of which- most zoos have penguins so we can hunt those bad boys too. :)

Noble?
http://ammoland.com/wp-content/uploa...e-campsite.jpg

GonzoTheGreat 10-24-2015 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain (Post 233682)

Seems a proto-typical robber-baron to me. And if barons aren't nobility, then who is?

Nazbaque 10-24-2015 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 233687)
Seems a proto-typical robber-baron to me. And if barons aren't nobility, then who is?

Dukes, earls, counts. Barons are actually pretty low on the nobility rankings.

GonzoTheGreat 10-24-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazbaque (Post 233692)
Dukes, earls, counts. Barons are actually pretty low on the nobility rankings.

Which does mean that they're noble, so that's settled.

Nazbaque 10-24-2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 233695)
Which does mean that they're noble, so that's settled.

Well yes they are, but the phrase "if that isn't (insert noun), then what is" is used to discribe something at the very top. And the higher ranking nobility might well regard barons as some sort of wannabe nobility.

GonzoTheGreat 10-25-2015 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazbaque (Post 233696)
Well yes they are, but the phrase "if that isn't (insert noun), then what is" is used to discribe something at the very top. And the higher ranking nobility might well regard barons as some sort of wannabe nobility.

That's what king John thought too, but then the barons forced him to sign the Magna Carta.

Nazbaque 10-25-2015 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 233700)
That's what king John thought too, but then the barons forced him to sign the Magna Carta.

Then he wasn't much of a king now was he.

Kimon 10-25-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazbaque (Post 233701)
Then he wasn't much of a king now was he.

Neither was his brother. It's odd that history has largely just condemned John and not Richard. But Richard's idiotic decision to join in the Crusades along with his costly captivity and ransoming at the hands of erstwhile allies (Leopold of Austria and the Holy Roman Emperor) bankrupted England and allowed Philip of France to reconquer all of the French lands lost to their father, Henry II, who ruled almost all of France in addition to England and Wales. That loss was far more costly than the loss in prestige to the crown from the Magna Carta. But most of us only really seem to know of the two sons from their associations with Robin Hood and Ivanhoe, and so give Richard a pass.

Figbiscuit 10-26-2015 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekyras (Post 233673)
No way. For two reasons.

1. Wild Bears are noble and beautiful creatures.

2. Too much work.

Let's go hunting the bears in zoos. It's much more fun. Those guys are like sitting ducks. Speaking of which- most zoos have penguins so we can hunt those bad boys too. :)

:eek:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.