Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Wheel of Time Resources (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   RJ's notes (series) (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8782)

GonzoTheGreat 12-15-2015 08:06 AM

If you're interested, you can find it by searching for "monty python lumberjack song" on youtube or the like.

Terez 12-15-2015 08:11 AM

You're in a very helpful mood today, aren't you Gonzo?

sleepinghour 12-15-2015 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 234802)
If you're interested, you can find it by searching for "monty python lumberjack song" on youtube or the like.

Link for the lazy.

Edit: Apparently there's a German version, too.

GonzoTheGreat 12-15-2015 09:14 AM

I've had a couple of occasions where a link that worked in one country didn't work in another, allegedly for "copyright reasons" or the like. So instead of giving a link of dubious value, I decided to point out how such a link could fairly easily be found.
I hadn't thought to look for a German version, I must admit. Though I'm not surprised there is one, actually.

fionwe1987 12-15-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 234795)
- The suggestion is made that any cris would work as well for male as for female Power users, whereas angreal are specific for either saidin or saidar but not both.

Well there are supposed to be angreal and sa'angreal that work for both men and women. We never do see them though.

And thanks Sleepinghour, for ruining my day! :mad::p

GonzoTheGreat 12-15-2015 09:49 AM

Callandor would supposedly qualify, since anyone capable of channeling should be able to use a True Power sa'angreal. All you need do is get the DO to cooperate, and how hard can that be?

Weiramon 12-15-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 234790)
//

Lord of the Dawn, the (Dark One!)
Lord of the Grave, the
Lord of the Ravens, the (Dark One)
Lord of the Twilight, the

//

Burn my soul, one might as well name Him Lord of the Morning.

The Unreasoner 12-15-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiramon (Post 234809)
Burn my soul, one might as well name Him Lord of the Morning.

Or Prince of Dawn.

Actually, Lucifer is frequently called such things. And Fallen Angel, Morning Star. Some of those might be Mercury specific.

I guess RJ wanted a clearer boundary between Lightbringer and God's Adversary. Though I expected him to have characters conflate the two longer than they did.

Zombie Sammael 12-15-2015 11:39 PM

It's interesting that while "The Render of Souls" and "The Grim Lord" are both pretty obviously titles for the DO, neither actually made it into the series (at least, as far as I remember). I wonder if Jordan had an exceptionally long list of possible names for the villain somewhere.

Terez 12-16-2015 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael (Post 234817)
It's interesting that while "The Render of Souls" and "The Grim Lord" are both pretty obviously titles for the DO, neither actually made it into the series (at least, as far as I remember). I wonder if Jordan had an exceptionally long list of possible names for the villain somewhere.

Well, that's natural when you're not supposed to say his real name out loud.

halo6819 12-16-2015 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael (Post 234817)

IIRC, he was refered to as Old Grimm at one point, in Illian maybe...

GonzoTheGreat 12-16-2015 08:48 AM

Yeah, that was right after Perrin was attacked by Gray Men and Moiraine had revealed herself as AS because she thought she was the target.

Shortly after, Zarine expresses disbelief at the mention of Fetches (Fades), even though she might've heard about those before, if only from her father.

Davian93 12-16-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 234827)
Yeah, that was right after Perrin was attacked by Gray Men and Moiraine had revealed herself as AS because she thought she was the target.

Shortly after, Zarine expresses disbelief at the mention of Fetches (Fades), even though she might've heard about those before, if only from her father.

Not recalling the circumstances of that disbelief, perhaps it was more to do with them being in Illian than anything else. Its one thing to see them in Saldaea, its quite another to see them 3000 miles south.

GonzoTheGreat 12-16-2015 09:53 AM

That could be it, of course. But one would expect a Saldaean Hunter for the Horn to be not too surprised at finding some Shadowy opponents lurking around.
Still, it is also possible that it was just part of her "innocent idiot" act, which she was trying (without much success) on the AS and Warder. Perrin was too distracted by Grey Men, Darkhounds and such to pay much attention to what she was saying.

Davian93 12-16-2015 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 234829)
That could be it, of course. But one would expect a Saldaean Hunter for the Horn to be not too surprised at finding some Shadowy opponents lurking around.
Still, it is also possible that it was just part of her "innocent idiot" act, which she was trying (without much success) on the AS and Warder. Perrin was too distracted by Grey Men, Darkhounds and such to pay much attention to what she was saying.

You'd think someone who was 2nd in line for the Saldaean throne would have recognized the Uncrowned King and most famous Borderlander living in Lan...you'd think. You'd also assume that Moiraine, who is noted as having strong relationships with every Borderland ruler in aMoL would immediately recognize Zarine too...which I'm sure she did of course...just surprising Faile hadn't heard or met her either if she really spent that much time in Maradon learning all that court stuff (Falconing, art of fan talk, etc)

But yeah.

Weiramon 12-16-2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 234811)
Or Prince of Dawn.

Actually, Lucifer is frequently called such things. And Fallen Angel, Morning Star. Some of those might be Mercury specific.

I guess RJ wanted a clearer boundary between Lightbringer and God's Adversary. Though I expected him to have characters conflate the two longer than they did.

Pshaw, I believe it is spelled Lewsifer, but of course you peasants will bastardize even that.

Terez 12-17-2015 12:26 AM

It's getting easier and easier to see TEOTW for what it was: a novel that was probably very different in its complete first draft form, compared to the published version. I'm actually looking forward to doing a reread after I've finished going through this stuff to see how many artefacts I can catch.

fionwe1987 12-17-2015 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 234837)
It's getting easier and easier to see TEOTW for what it was: a novel that was probably very different in its complete first draft form, compared to the published version. I'm actually looking forward to doing a reread after I've finished going through this stuff to see how many artefacts I can catch.

Come now! Different how???

Terez 12-17-2015 04:29 AM

Like how I've been telling you?

DahLliA 12-17-2015 07:18 AM

Just want to say that this is really interesting.

Sort of feels weird seeing how much changed from RJ's early notes :p

(and I wanted to bump the thread above all the deleted spam)