Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Conventions (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   So, what is JordanCon? (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8829)

The Unreasoner 01-28-2016 06:17 PM

So, what is JordanCon?
 
I've never been to a con of any sort before, but I'll be in NYC the week before JordanCon, and figured I might as well. But who goes? What do you do? Would I need to compete in trivia?

And:
It's been awhile since I've been to Atlanta, but there are still a couple of places I remember being pretty good. And of course there are some reliably excellent churrascaria and steakhouse chains. If I was buying for 6 or 10 people, who would come? I'd even let Southpaw come if he keeps his fucking mouth shut about black people.

Isabel 01-29-2016 10:29 AM

Jordan Con is a wheel of time convention :)

The convention starts friday, (but lot's of people arrive thursday) and ends sunday.
There are a lot of different rooms where there are different panels. I think there is a wot track, Brandon track, non wot. etc .

You can see the panels here:
http://www.jordancon.org/program/sessions

There is a dealers hall and an art show.

On friday night i think it's game night (poker night) and saturday is the party.

But basicly you can do whatever you want and hang out with fellow Theorylanders :)

I believe WSB, Sare, Leanne, SBC, Pops, Terez are going. (me too)

Terez 01-29-2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 235509)
I've never been to a con of any sort before, but I'll be in NYC the week before JordanCon, and figured I might as well. But who goes?

People of all types. Hard core types like us, people who suck at trivia and just like to cosplay, people who haven't even read the books but who just come because their friends do. Everything in between. There is kind of a con clique of staffers and volunteers, but it's nothing overwhelming, and everyone is pretty friendly while at the con (whatever our online personalities).

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 235509)
What do you do?

Basically whatever you want. There was one year when I only went to one panel; I spent basically the whole con in the outdoor smoking area talking to whoever was out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 235509)
Would I need to compete in trivia?

It's not like it's required. It just depends on what you feel like doing. If you've never been, I'd suggest not making too many definite plans. Look at the schedule (which hasn't been posted yet), decide which panels you definitely want to go to, which ones you might go to if you have nothing better to do, and just leave yourself open for the rest.

You mentioned wanting to keep a low profile, but I'd recommend looking me or someone else up as soon as you get there; trade phone #s beforehand to make it easier. I'd be happy to show you around and give you basic orientation; I'm sure others would also be happy to do the same. Without that, you might end up wandering around like a lost dork. I do that anyway, but it can be kind of uncomfortable if you actually don't know anyone there (or don't know how to find the people that you do know).

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 235509)
If I was buying for 6 or 10 people, who would come? I'd even let Southpaw come if he keeps his fucking mouth shut about black people.

I've never known him to talk about politics or anything related in person, so there you go.

Southpaw2012 01-29-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 235509)
I've never been to a con of any sort before, but I'll be in NYC the week before JordanCon, and figured I might as well. But who goes? What do you do? Would I need to compete in trivia?

And:
It's been awhile since I've been to Atlanta, but there are still a couple of places I remember being pretty good. And of course there are some reliably excellent churrascaria and steakhouse chains. If I was buying for 6 or 10 people, who would come? I'd even let Southpaw come if he keeps his fucking mouth shut about black people.


Dude, what the fuck is your problem? Yes, I am going to Jordancon, but seriously... Your obsessive belief that I have some type of prejudice against black people is sickening. I have zero issues with black people, and your constant badgering makes me question your ideals. This is the problem with today's society. Just because I disagree with a black president and a black group that loots and destroys (black lives matters) doesn't make me a racist, but a rational man. Bashing a person of color doesn't make a person a racist. If that's the case, I hate white people too. I go to a liberal cess pool (law school) made up of socialists such as yourself and not one of them believes I'm a racist just because I'm conservative. And my black friends certainly don't believe me to be a racist. It's only you crazy bastards (the ones who actually believe I am).

The Unreasoner 01-29-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabel (Post 235520)
Jordan Con is a wheel of time convention :)

Just WoT, or his other fantasy works (which I have not read) too?
Quote:

The convention starts friday, (but lot's of people arrive thursday) and ends sunday.
I'll probably get there Tuesday or Wednesday, depends on some things beyond my control.
Quote:

There are a lot of different rooms where there are different panels. I think there is a wot track, Brandon track, non wot. etc .

You can see the panels here:
http://www.jordancon.org/program/sessions

There is a dealers hall and an art show.

On friday night i think it's game night (poker night) and saturday is the party.

But basicly you can do whatever you want and hang out with fellow Theorylanders :)
I'll take a look at this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 235524)
People of all types. Hard core types like us, people who suck at trivia and just like to cosplay, people who haven't even read the books but who just come because their friends do. Everything in between. There is kind of a con clique of staffers and volunteers, but it's nothing overwhelming, and everyone is pretty friendly while at the con (whatever our online personalities).

Yeah, I'm far more polite in person. I'm a little anxious about showing up 'publicly' though, given that I've said some less than charitable things about BS here. Here's hoping he didn't read it (and if he does, I genuinely think he executed an impossible task with respect and grace).

Quote:

Basically whatever you want. There was one year when I only went to one panel; I spent basically the whole con in the outdoor smoking area talking to whoever was out there.
Did you regret going to that one?

Quote:

It's not like it's required. It just depends on what you feel like doing. If you've never been, I'd suggest not making too many definite plans. Look at the schedule (which hasn't been posted yet), decide which panels you definitely want to go to, which ones you might go to if you have nothing better to do, and just leave yourself open for the rest.
I actually think I'd do quite well in trivia. Especially if I did a re-read right before. But it doesn't exactly sound appealing. We'll see. I may bring a friend or two who will.
Quote:

You mentioned wanting to keep a low profile, but I'd recommend looking me or someone else up as soon as you get there; trade phone #s beforehand to make it easier. I'd be happy to show you around and give you basic orientation; I'm sure others would also be happy to do the same. Without that, you might end up wandering around like a lost dork. I do that anyway, but it can be kind of uncomfortable if you actually don't know anyone there (or don't know how to find the people that you do know).
I enjoy wandering, and I'll get there before you in all probability. But I'll give you my number. Just don't like, share it.
Quote:

I've never known him to talk about politics or anything related in person, so there you go.
Don't talk God, politics, or BBQ with strangers. It's an old rule I've heard, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 (Post 235528)
Dude, what the fuck is your problem? Yes, I am going to Jordancon, but seriously... Your obsessive belief that I have some type of prejudice against black people is sickening. I have zero issues with black people, and your constant badgering makes me question your ideals. This is the problem with today's society. Just because I disagree with a black president and a black group that loots and destroys (black lives matters) doesn't make me a racist, but a rational man. Bashing a person of color doesn't make a person a racist. If that's the case, I hate white people too. I go to a liberal cess pool (law school) made up of socialists such as yourself and not one of them believes I'm a racist just because I'm conservative. And my black friends certainly don't believe me to be a racist. It's only you crazy bastards (the ones who actually believe I am).

Oh get over yourself. I was (mostly) kidding. You are welcome to join me when and as you wish.

The specifics of this argument are for another time. Or would be, if we actually were to have the argument.

Terez 01-29-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 235531)
Yeah, I'm far more polite in person. I'm a little anxious about showing up 'publicly' though, given that I've said some less than charitable things about BS here. Here's hoping he didn't read it (and if he does, I genuinely think he executed an impossible task with respect and grace).

99% probability he either didn't read whatever you had to say or, if he did, will not remember your user name or connect that to the person at the con anyway. And even if he somehow did make the connection, he'd probably still be nice to you. It takes a lot to make Brandon mad; he even handles his trolls well. Aside from that, you'll most likely only interact with him at the book signing, unless you play Magic or go to his writing panels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 235531)
Did you regret going to that one?

Not at all. That's just what I felt like doing that year. I think it was the year AMOL came out, so the panels just didn't have much appeal for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 235531)
I actually think I'd do quite well in trivia. Especially if I did a re-read right before. But it doesn't exactly sound appealing.

It's a lot of fun. I hope to make it even more fun this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 235531)
I enjoy wandering, and I'll get there before you in all probability. But I'll give you my number. Just don't like, share it.

Of course not. But I'll be there on Thursday most likely. Very few people get there before Thursday.

The Unreasoner 01-29-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 235534)
99% probability he either didn't read whatever you had to say or, if he did, will not remember your user name or connect that to the person at the con anyway. And even if he somehow did make the connection, he'd probably still be nice to you. It takes a lot to make Brandon mad; he even handles his trolls well. Aside from that, you'll most likely only interact with him at the book signing, unless you play Magic or go to his writing panels.

I think I meant to say I was worried about how the 'clique' might react. I may just show up as 'me' without telling too many people me=Unreasoner.

Quote:

It's a lot of fun. I hope to make it even more fun this year.
If you're the one writing the questions, I hope you remember that 'intuitively obvious' is in the eyes of the beholder.

Quote:

Very few people get there before Thursday.
There's a good chance I won't come alone. And I could always just stay in NYC for a few more days.

Terez 01-30-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unreasoner (Post 235537)
I think I meant to say I was worried about how the 'clique' might react. I may just show up as 'me' without telling too many people me=Unreasoner.

Yeah, most of them don't read Theoryland and will have no idea who you are.

Southpaw2012 01-30-2016 10:41 AM

How is the new hotel compared to the one we had in Roswell?

Terez 01-30-2016 04:04 PM

Better in some ways. They have nice pillows. (It's a Marriott.)

Sarevok 02-01-2016 01:52 PM

It has more rooms and the dealers' and art room is about twice as large.
Downside is that not everything is on a central hub like in Roswell. Especially the gaming pavilion is rather out of the way (some people didn't find it till sunday evening).

Leanne 02-09-2016 12:06 PM

My issue with the new hotel is that there is not a nice, common area to gather in between panels/events and like Sare said, everything is more spread out. We still make it work though.

I very rarely leave the hotel. We normally do at least 1 dinner out as a group though. Last couple years I did the MTG draft on Saturday evening and didn't want to risk missing it, so I passed on dinner.

I remember the first time I saw Cary, I knew who she was before she knew who I was and she was taken back by me shouting "CARY" in the middle of the hotel lobby. Good times!

It's definitely worth the trip, especially since you're already "in the area".

SauceyBlueConfetti 03-06-2016 11:05 AM

Unreasoner you know I will hug ya! Agree with T everyone is pretty friendly. Agree with Leanne the lobby isn't as inviting for group hangouts. Agree with T the pillows rock. Isabel requires a meal at Cheesecake Factory.

I have been so busy TL hasn't been on my radar but I am catching up.

As always, I'm so excited I'm bouncing!

SauceyBlueConfetti 03-06-2016 02:56 PM

Are Taer and Al coming?

Isabel 03-07-2016 12:25 AM

I think so. Not sure though.
Pops is coming. Glotd is coming,

Southpaw2012 03-07-2016 09:03 PM

Is Tam going?

Sarevok 03-13-2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 (Post 236532)
Is Tam going?

I'd be very surprised if I isn't. Pretty sure he hasn't missed one since the very first.

Terez 03-13-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarevok (Post 236654)
I'd be very surprised if I isn't. Pretty sure he hasn't missed one since the very first.

He has missed a couple. But he's going this year.

Leanne 03-16-2016 09:19 AM

I am going to try to pull myself away from the hotel to go to Cheesecake Factory this year!

I can't believe it's so close! :eek:

The Unreasoner 03-27-2016 10:48 PM

Weren't they going to expand the block? I still can't get a room from Tuesday.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.