Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General "Other" Books Discussion (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Suggestion! (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8931)

Purple Dragon 12-02-2016 01:34 PM

Suggestion!

What do people suggest for a nice longer series?
Author isn't so important, but i WOULD like for it to maybe be a series where the author do NOT "depart" too soon... not that anyone can really guarantee that one...

jarno87 12-02-2016 02:43 PM

Recently, I've been reading the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. This currently stands at 4 books, with at least 2 more to come, and at 39 the author is still quite young. I liked this series a lot, and the magic system is very creative (on par with the best from Brandon Sanderson).

Another nice series is the Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett.

rand 12-02-2016 11:19 PM

I can't remember, have you read Malazan? The main series (10 books) is already done, but the authors keep expanding on it with smaller series/trilogies/novellas.

Purple Dragon 12-03-2016 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand (Post 239824)
I can't remember, have you read Malazan? The main series (10 books) is already done, but the authors keep expanding on it with smaller series/trilogies/novellas.

nope... no i have not read Malazan series... i have finished WoT and Discworld and Happy Rotter... but been doing too many things lately to actually read a book too ;)

Nazbaque 12-03-2016 05:23 AM

Robin Hobb? Something like a series of trilogies. Fairly long reads all of them.

Kimon 12-03-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Dragon (Post 239829)
nope... no i have not read Malazan series... i have finished WoT and Discworld and Happy Rotter... but been doing too many things lately to actually read a book too ;)

I'll second the suggestion of Malazan. Sanderson also has quite a few worthy series if you haven't tried any of his non-WoT works. The Mistborn books especially were really good, but the Stormlight series seems off to a good start, as does Warbreaker. Guy Gavriel Kay doesn't tend to do series so much as stand alone fantasy novels (except the Fionavar trilogy, but I haven't read those), but they are really excellent - Tigana probably is the single best fantasy novel I've ever read.

Isabel 12-04-2016 02:36 AM

Are you only looking for Fantasy or also Sci Fi or urban fantasy and stuff like that?
What do you consider long? :)

Purple Dragon 12-12-2016 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabel (Post 239842)
Are you only looking for Fantasy or also Sci Fi or urban fantasy and stuff like that?
What do you consider long? :)

Fantasy to begin with, but...Urban Fantasy? not sure i even KNOW what that is... RS mentioned several years ago a type of story where the premise was that the confederate army had somehow gotten modern weapons... that sounded kinda interesting too... anything like what Urban Fantasy is?

GonzoTheGreat 12-12-2016 04:41 AM

The Guns of the South - Harry Turtledove
And that isn't Urban Fantasy, I think. Too much countryside, for one thing. To much SciFi, for another. I suspect that the Twilight saga should count as UF, but I also suspect that neither fans of Meyer nor fans of UF would agree.

Weird Harold 12-12-2016 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 239974)
The Guns of the South - Harry Turtledove
And that isn't Urban Fantasy, I think. Too much countryside, for one thing. To much SciFi, for another. I suspect that the Twilight saga should count as UF, but I also suspect that neither fans of Meyer nor fans of UF would agree.

That -- and pretty much everything by Harry Turtledove -- is "Alternate History."

DahLliA 12-12-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimon (Post 239836)
I'll second the suggestion of Malazan.

Thirded :p

Also, The Black Company by Glen Cook: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company

Sarevok 12-13-2016 01:09 AM

Brandon Sanderson is still awesome. :D

Purple Dragon 12-15-2016 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarevok (Post 240010)
Brandon Sanderson is still awesome. :D

where to start then, sare?

Sarevok 12-15-2016 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Dragon (Post 240172)
where to start then, sare?

Easiest would be Warbreaker, since it's right here:
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/draf...ver_1st_ed.pdf
After that, I'd recommend his Cosmere books in the order they were published
Here they're listed by sub-series, but publication years are mentioned too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brando..._Cosmere_Cycle

Nazbaque 12-15-2016 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Dragon (Post 239829)

Have you read Farseer?

yks 6nnetu hing 12-15-2016 06:54 AM

Malazan is hit and miss. With me it was a definite miss.

I really liked the Robin Hobb books (Farseer) that were already mentioned... More long ones... You can try the Dragonrider series by Anne McCaffrey, she died a few years ago but the series is twenty something books. She did write the first ones in the 60s so some of the social commentary is... A little outdated. I assume you've read Harry Potter? 7 books, that one.

Davian93 12-15-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weird Harold (Post 239976)
That -- and pretty much everything by Harry Turtledove -- is "Alternate History."

Another title for it would be "See, the South Wasn't So Bad..." given the amount of whitewashing of southern history he does in those alternate histories.

Purple Dragon 12-22-2016 06:04 AM

done reading list

Harry Potter Done
Artemis Fowl - Done
Wheel of Time - Doh
Discworld - Done
Percy Jackson + spin offs - done
Robin Hobb - Done
Original Dune - done
Star Ward - Do NOT get me started
Dragon Riders of Pern - first ones done
Mercedes Lackey - there might be one or two i have not read but still... done
edited because people are crazy...
The Hoobit - Done when i was 12
Lord of the Ring - Done when i was 16
Silmarillion - done at 33
Dan Brown thingies - Done

GonzoTheGreat 12-22-2016 09:23 AM

Technically, Dune isn't Fantasy.
You could try the Amber series by Roger Zelazny, though finding those may be difficult nowadays.
And of course there's always Lord of the Rings to try. :p

Kimon 12-22-2016 11:12 AM

Stephen King's Dark Tower series also comes to mind. It's more fantasy than horror, though it overlaps with some of his horror novels (like Salem's Lot). It trails off a bit at the end, but the first five books are really good, with the fourth book, Wizard and Glass, being one of the best fantasy novels I've come across. One of the other overlap novels, Eyes of the Dragon, is probably my second favorite King novel.