Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums

Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Non WoT Discussion (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   This Happens Far Too Often (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9014)

Kimon 10-02-2017 08:52 AM

This Happens Far Too Often
 
Will we never do the sensible thing and excise the 2nd Amendment?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41471242

Quote:

A man has opened fire on concertgoers in Las Vegas, killing more than 50 people. Another 406 were taken to hospital.
The suspected gunman shot himself dead, say police.
What happened?
Some 22,000 people were attending a country music festival late on Sunday night in the open air by the Las Vegas strip.
The first shots rang out shortly after 22:00 local time (05:00 GMT).
The gunman fired from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel before shooting himself dead. Earlier reports said he was killed by police.
Witnesses say hundreds of shots were fired and the sound of automatic gunfire was heard.

Terez 10-02-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimon (Post 242812)
Will we never do the sensible thing and excise the 2nd Amendment?

Is that really sensible though? It's definitely worded badly, but beyond that I'm not sure it should be "excised".

Kind of surprised Ivhon deleted his thread. Was pretty bitter I guess but for all that probably more sensible.

GonzoTheGreat 10-02-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimon (Post 242812)
Will we never do the sensible thing and excise the 2nd Amendment?

Based what I've understood from previous debates on gun control, one should wait for at least half a year after the last shooting before trying to hold a debate on this. Right at this moment, tempers are flaring, and that means that emotions are all that people listen to.
Now, one could argue that there never is a good time to discuss pointless and unnecessary violence, so one might as well do that now. But apparently (it took me a while to get this too), that is not an acceptable approach.

Of course, actually adhering to the text of the 2nd (with that "well regulated militia" bit as more than empty blather) could already do loads of good. Surprisingly enough, though, this is one area where conservatives aren't interested in strict literalism.

Ivhon 10-02-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 242813)
Is that really sensible though? It's definitely worded badly, but beyond that I'm not sure it should be "excised".

Kind of surprised Ivhon deleted his thread. Was pretty bitter I guess but for all that probably more sensible.

I deleted it a) because I'm trying to tone down the bitterness. Some. and b) because at the time I wrote it, the whiteness of the mass-murdering terrorist with a gun had not been confirmed. I had made an assumption. Which of course was born out, but still.

Brita 10-02-2017 09:44 AM

I can honestly say I just feel a numb detachment right now. And that is awful.

Like the kind of emotional severing that happens when you watch a loved one keep doing drugs, even after several overdoses.

A form of self preservation because it is getting too hard to care so much about a country that just seems unable to help itself in any way.

Kimon 10-02-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 242813)
Is that really sensible though? It's definitely worded badly, but beyond that I'm not sure it should be "excised".

Kind of surprised Ivhon deleted his thread. Was pretty bitter I guess but for all that probably more sensible.

Not sure why you're taking issue. Even if we did excise the 2nd Amendment at the federal level (which certainly seems impossible, but certainly not insensible), that would still leave it open to individual action at the state and local level. Indeed it is the vague wording of the 2nd Amendment that has created so much of the difficulty in providing gun control at present at the state and local level, areas which once allowed far more nuanced degrees of interpretation from community to community prior to Scalia's reinterpretation of the 2nd Amendment rendered it akin to the 11th Commandment in the eyes of republicans.

Rand al'Fain 10-02-2017 09:50 AM

Geez. More than 50 dead and 400 wounded.

Brita 10-02-2017 10:54 AM

It's only going to go up. Currently 58 Dead, 515 Injured.

Absolutely horrific.

ShadowbaneX 10-02-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terez (Post 242813)
Is that really sensible though? It's definitely worded badly, but beyond that I'm not sure it should be "excised".

I'll answer that with a question: if it was "excised" would those 59 people be dead and 515 still be injured?

Weird Harold 10-02-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX (Post 242820)
I'll answer that with a question: if it was "excised" would those 59 people be dead and 515 still be injured?

Since it is highly unlikely that the fully automatic weapon used last night was legal and registered, there would be no difference if more laws had been passed for the shooter to ignore.

Kimon 10-02-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weird Harold (Post 242821)
Since it is highly unlikely that the fully automatic weapon used last night was legal and registered, there would be no difference if more laws had been passed for the shooter to ignore.

Doesn't seem like there has been a clear statement yet on whether his rifles were fully automatic (hence illegal), or legally purchased semi-automatics that had been converted into basically automatic using legally purchased accessories.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...semi-automatic

Quote:

Law enforcement officials have yet to confirm what kind of firearms Stephen Paddock used to shoot from his Mandalay Bay hotel room into a crowd of people at a country music festival in Las Vegas, killing at least 58 people, though early reports suggest he had as many as 10 guns, including some rifles.

The rapid pace of the gunfire suggested that the shooter was using either a fully automatic weapon, tightly restricted under US law, or that he had attached a device to a semi-automatic gun to make it fire more continuously, said Massad Ayoob, a firearms expert, instructor and author.

“It’s faster than almost any human being is going to be able to pull a trigger on a semi-automatic,” Ayoob said.

Fully automatic weapons, which fire multiple rounds of ammunition from a single pull of the trigger, are strictly regulated, taxed and tracked under US law. This makes them expensive collectors’ items, and comparatively rarely used in crimes. Semi-automatic rifles, in contrast, which fire only one round of ammunition with each pull of the trigger, are widely available.

Unlike some states, Nevada, which has laws generally friendly to gun owners, does not ban the sale of “assault weapons” – semi-automatic civilian guns built to resemble military weapons.

From listening to the footage of the attack, Ayoob said that the gunshots “did not sound as consistent” as he would typically expect from a fully automatic M-16 or AK-47. “The pace of fire is a little bit erratic. At one point it’s slower than it is at another point.”

Paddock could have used a Hellfire or a bump-fire device, which attach to normal semi-automatic rifles and allow them to fire more rapidly, Ayoob said. These devices are legal, but rarely used by serious shooters, he said.

“It’s hard to shoot accurately with them, and serious shooters want accuracy,” he said. He called them “not terribly popular” and “something a gun geek would want”.
Our country's worship of guns both confuses and disgusts me.

ShadowbaneX 10-02-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weird Harold (Post 242821)
Since it is highly unlikely that the fully automatic weapon used last night was legal and registered, there would be no difference if more laws had been passed for the shooter to ignore.

Reports saying 20 weapons one of which has been converted to full automatic fire. Doesn't say if the AK's or AR's were full auto or semi-automatic, but with that many I'm going to assume many were purchased legally.

On the other hand the Onion gets to up date this article again. I guess that's something.

yks 6nnetu hing 10-03-2017 02:12 AM

bitter, disgusted and sad.

That being said, America: get your shit together and stop hogging "horrible news" headlines.

We've got the Catalan vote to process, the Brexit to manage, the next goddamn real estate bubble to avoid, convince people to go at least flexitarian (did you see that recalculation of the cattle-related methane gas effects on Global Warming? *shudder*), get Brazilians to understand that killing tribes in the Amazon is a Bad Thing,figure out how come North Korea is such good friends with Egypt, and figure out why is Putin so quiet about all of the above, what is he up to...

GonzoTheGreat 10-03-2017 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing (Post 242826)
We've got the Catalan vote to process, ...

Why not leave that one to Angela Merkel?

Quote:

... the Brexit to manage, ...
I don't think anyone (not even Merkel) could manage that particular mess. The core issue there is deliberate ignorance, and managing that is fundamentally impossible.

Quote:

... the next goddamn real estate bubble to avoid, ...
It is slightly more rational than Tulip Mania, which started off this bubble habit centuries ago.

Quote:

... figure out how come North Korea is such good friends with Egypt, ...
Who wouldn't want to be friends with either?

Quote:

... and figure out why is Putin so quiet about all of the above, what is he up to...
He is plotting to introduce gay marriage into China, now that he has managed to destroy the whole of the West with it. Isn't that obvious?

Davian93 10-04-2017 09:01 AM

If a bunch of little kids dying didn't change the gun control debate, I doubt a few score concert goers dying will.

As sad as that is.

Brexit is an absolute disaster and May will likely be gone as PM before much longer due to her idiocy. Boris will be gone as Foreign Secretary too...and he seemingly wants to be gone from that role right now.

Catalonia is acting selfishly and stupidly and they broke a bunch of laws. On the other hand, Spain's crackdown on the referendum was just as stupid.

Oh and its sad that Tom Petty died.


Did I miss anything else during my two weeks on holiday in Scotland?

GonzoTheGreat 10-04-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 242828)
Did I miss anything else during my two weeks on holiday in Scotland?

Trump tweeted.

Kimon 10-04-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 242828)
If a bunch of little kids dying didn't change the gun control debate, I doubt a few score concert goers dying will.

As sad as that is.

Brexit is an absolute disaster and May will likely be gone as PM before much longer due to her idiocy. Boris will be gone as Foreign Secretary too...and he seemingly wants to be gone from that role right now.

Catalonia is acting selfishly and stupidly and they broke a bunch of laws. On the other hand, Spain's crackdown on the referendum was just as stupid.

Oh and its sad that Tom Petty died.


Did I miss anything else during my two weeks on holiday in Scotland?

Admittedly, accomplishing anything, no matter how sensible, does seem impossible at present with gun control, but one still can’t help but think that there are some basic concessions that even hardened gun worshippers should agree to - like making accessories that convert legal semi-automatics into fully automatics should be illegal, and that every legal gun purchase must be registered, so that in instances where an individual amasses, as this man did, 47 guns, the FBI should kick down his door and arrest him upon an overwhelming presumption of ill-intent.

It’s not like I’m asking that we just make all guns illegal and melt them all down. I mean that would obviously be the logical and prudent thing to do, but ‘Merica clearly isn’t a land that values logic or prudence.

As for Catalonia, this situation seems, at least to me, to have gone far beyond selfish pique. Spain has acted so egregiously heavy-handed, that I would have to imagine that even many who would have otherwise opposed secession, now are fed up with Spain because of how abusive and violent the attempt to supress the referendum was. Compare that to how Britain handled the secession movement with Scotland, or how Canada handled their issues in the past with Quebec. What Spain is doing seems reminiscent, indeed far worse, than the way that China has been cracking down on Hong Kong. Admittedly, we acted pretty forcibly to stop South Carolina and the rest of the rebels ourselves once upon a time, but Spain hasn’t the same noble justification that we had. And let’s be blunt if South Carolina and the rest of the Confederacy asked to leave again, I’d gleefully celebrate their departure. And I doubt that I would be alone in that sentiment.

Spain just seems intent on ensuring that Catalonia appears to the whole world the victim, and that they seem like the abusive drunken pos that deserves to be served with the divorce papers.

GonzoTheGreat 10-04-2017 12:25 PM

One of the things Spain has been stressing is that if Catalonia becomes independent, it wouldn't be a EU member. Maybe Theresa May would be willing to start a trade community with Catalonia?

ShadowbaneX 10-04-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 242828)
Did I miss anything else during my two weeks on holiday in Scotland?

Check here.

Davian93 10-05-2017 08:58 AM

Spain has suspended Catalonia's autonomous parliament...that'll solve the issue, right?

Nobody suspects the Spanish Civil War...

Kimon 10-05-2017 01:38 PM

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41506613

Quote:

Congress' most powerful Republican says lawmakers should examine "bump-stocks", a rapid-fire accessory used by the gunman in Sunday's Las Vegas massacre.
House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan told a radio talk show: "Clearly that's something we need to look into."
Texas Senator John Cornyn - the number two Republican in the Senate - has called for hearings into the devices.
Quote:

It appears a move to ban bump-stock devices is picking up steam in Congress. Some normally staunch gun-control opponents seem willing to consider new legislation. The NRA, which opposes just about any new regulations, has gone silent.
That's going to change soon.
The challenge for gun rights supporters is a bump-stock ban opens the door for a new debate about where to draw the line over limiting a firearm's lethality. For decades it's been at how many bullets can be fired with one trigger pull.
Bump-stocks blur that line. Can you outlaw a device that helps squeeze off rounds more quickly but not think about prohibiting quick-change magazines or limiting their sizes? Or banning pistol grips, which make firing easier?
It won't take many Republicans, with the NRA looking over their shoulder, to grind the process to a halt.
Hopefully at least Bernie won’t side with the enemy again this time, but renegade dems aside, trusting any republicans seems insane.

Davian93 10-05-2017 03:44 PM

So much for the Iran deal...https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...&ICID=ref_fark

What a fucking idiot.

Kimon 10-05-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 242839)
So much for the Iran deal...https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...&ICID=ref_fark

What a fucking idiot.

Much like with the cognitive dissonance between Trump and Tillerson on North Korea, the contrast between Trump and Mattis on Iran is very odd. Either his lieutenants are trying to publicly nudge/shame him into doing the right thing, or this is a excruciatingly clumsy version of the old good cop/bad cop routine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/w...eal-trump.html

Here's hoping that this is just Trump's way of trying to back Iran into a corner and agree to some last second concessions, but this sort of diplomatic brinkmanship is both embarrassing and dangerously stupid. We talk a lot (heck even Corker recently said as much) about how perhaps Mattis and Kelly are the only thing standing between us and Trump running completely amok, but if Mattis can't stop Trump from reneging on this deal then it becomes increasingly difficult to see how our Praetorian Guardsmen are having any discernible effect, and if the only reason that they are sticking around is simply because Trump knows that no one else would agree to take any of these jobs.

yks 6nnetu hing 10-06-2017 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 242833)
One of the things Spain has been stressing is that if Catalonia becomes independent, it wouldn't be a EU member. Maybe Theresa May would be willing to start a trade community with Catalonia?

That's not necessarily automatically the case. See the seccession of Greenland and Denmark, where Greenland CHOSE to step out of the EU while Demark stayed in. Now, granted, I don't know the legal background of all of that back then, and the laws have probably changed since then but I imagine that if, say, Scotland, the Basque country or Catalonia were to become independant and would want to stay/join in the EU, they'd get a "fast track" at least, seeing as a lot of the rules and regulations that aspiring members must implement are already in place.

GonzoTheGreat 10-06-2017 04:12 AM

Yes, and they would also get to run the hurdle of "no EU vetoes their application". While Scotland could easy leap that one after May has left, it seems less certain that Catalonia could avoid a Spanish veto.
So, while technically it is not automatically a problem, in reality, unless Spain suddenly becomes reasonable and nice on this subject, it is a problem nonetheless.

Davian93 10-06-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing (Post 242841)
That's not necessarily automatically the case. See the seccession of Greenland and Denmark, where Greenland CHOSE to step out of the EU while Demark stayed in. Now, granted, I don't know the legal background of all of that back then, and the laws have probably changed since then but I imagine that if, say, Scotland, the Basque country or Catalonia were to become independant and would want to stay/join in the EU, they'd get a "fast track" at least, seeing as a lot of the rules and regulations that aspiring members must implement are already in place.

One option for Scotland would at least be to try to have a relationship with the EU similar to Norway or Iceland's...where they're in the free market even if they're not officially in the EU as members of the EFTA.

Scotland seems like it'd lose a ton more than it'd gain if it left the UK and EU though. When your economy relies on dwindling oil reserves, whisky and promiscuous sheep, you might want to stay with the wealthier part of your country instead of going it alone.

Kimon 10-06-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 242843)
One option for Scotland would at least be to try to have a relationship with the EU similar to Norway or Iceland's...where they're in the free market even if they're not officially in the EU as members of the EFTA.

Scotland seems like it'd lose a ton more than it'd gain if it left the UK and EU though. When your economy relies on dwindling oil reserves, whisky and promiscuous sheep, you might want to stay with the wealthier part of your country instead of going it alone.

Seems like the only comparable situation that the EU has had to undergo in the past was with Greenland, due to their separation from Denmark. But Greenland’s situation was perhaps a bit more like England’s than like Scotland’s or Catalonia, as Greenland wanted out (not sure if that was a major instigator for their desire to break away from Denmark, or just ancillary). Much like Britain though, Catalonia may be screwed by Spain and the EU if they actually secede from Spain, and they already seem to be making Catalon-based banks nervous in the same way that is being seen with London-based banks post-Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...u-independence

Davian93 10-06-2017 01:48 PM

Catalonia's entire push for independence is incredibly illogical...to the point where I guarantee that its mainly being pushed/promulgated by hostile foreign elements to help weaken yet another EU/NATO country. Tis truly a mystery as to who would benefit the most from the weakening of democracies in the USA, UK, Germany, France and Spain. I can't think of a single nation-state that would want to see something like that happen.

Kimon 10-06-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 242845)
Catalonia's entire push for independence is incredibly illogical...to the point where I guarantee that its mainly being pushed/promulgated by hostile foreign elements to help weaken yet another EU/NATO country. Tis truly a mystery as to who would benefit the most from the weakening of democracies in the USA, UK, Germany, France and Spain. I can't think of a single nation-state that would want to see something like that happen.

Wikileaks and the Russians certainly seem to be supporting and fomenting the secessionists, but they wouldn't be successful in catalyzing these sentiments without pre-existing tensions. Catalan is in many ways as distinct from Spanish as is Italian. They weren't exactly treated well by Franco, nor have they been treated well by the current govt in Madrid, nor even by the presumably mostly figurehead king of Spain. Nonetheless, Catalonia would as a whole almost certainly be better off economically by remaining in Spain (even considering that at present they are by far the most economically vibrant region within Spain - but gaining independence would open themselves to myriad new expenses even if they somehow manage to stay in the EU or ECC) than separate even if they managed to stay in the EU. Had Spain treated this referendum more similarly to how Britain did the vote concerning Scottish independence, this situation would not be becoming so dire.

Whenever Assange gets involved one should automatically become suspicious, but in this case, Madrid seems more to blame than Moscow.

ShadowbaneX 10-06-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 242845)
Catalonia's entire push for independence is incredibly illogical...to the point where I guarantee that its mainly being pushed/promulgated by hostile foreign elements to help weaken yet another EU/NATO country. Tis truly a mystery as to who would benefit the most from the weakening of democracies in the USA, UK, Germany, France and Spain. I can't think of a single nation-state that would want to see something like that happen.

Interesting, although, it might be a little McCarthy-ist. I wouldn't it put it past someone to do that sorta crap, or at least work on the existing sentiments. You see similar things in Texas & Alberta. Oil seems to be a common element, or at least the money that comes with the oil. The whole "why are we paying for your poor asses?" mentality.

GonzoTheGreat 10-07-2017 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 242845)
Catalonia's entire push for independence is incredibly illogical...to the point where I guarantee that its mainly being pushed/promulgated by hostile foreign elements to help weaken yet another EU/NATO country. Tis truly a mystery as to who would benefit the most from the weakening of democracies in the USA, UK, Germany, France and Spain. I can't think of a single nation-state that would want to see something like that happen.

It is indeed quite difficult to think of such a nation-state when one takes into account that the drive towards independence from Spain dates back to (at least) the 17th century, and in a real way even before that. Off hand, the only nation that I can think of that has remained sufficiently united during all that time is Japan. But why would they be trying to disrupt Europe?

Rand al'Fain 10-07-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 242848)
It is indeed quite difficult to think of such a nation-state when one takes into account that the drive towards independence from Spain dates back to (at least) the 17th century, and in a real way even before that. Off hand, the only nation that I can think of that has remained sufficiently united during all that time is Japan. But why would they be trying to disrupt Europe?

Japan hasn't been united since the 17th century. They had at least 2 massive civil wars (though the first one was a series of civil wars).

Sengoku Jidai (1467-1603) where famous people like Nobunaga Oda, Miyamoto Musashi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu came about. The latter of whom finally brought peace to Japan for the next 2 centuries.

Then we have the Boshin War of 1868-1869, where the isolationists and supporters of the Shogunate fought against the Imperial Supporters and those willing to open their borders.

So, yeah. Even Japan has had internal conflicts since then.

Kimon 10-07-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain (Post 242849)
Japan hasn't been united since the 17th century. They had at least 2 massive civil wars (though the first one was a series of civil wars).

Sengoku Jidai (1467-1603) where famous people like Nobunaga Oda, Miyamoto Musashi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu came about. The latter of whom finally brought peace to Japan for the next 2 centuries.

Then we have the Boshin War of 1868-1869, where the isolationists and supporters of the Shogunate fought against the Imperial Supporters and those willing to open their borders.

So, yeah. Even Japan has had internal conflicts since then.

Japan has had periods of struggle between rival daimyo (i.e. the Sengoku Period), but even then they were still homogeneous culturally and linguistically (excepting for the Ainu on Hokkaido, but they were isolated and marginalized). So even when there was political disunity they still thought of themselves as one uniform Yamato culture. And even during periods when the emperors were little more than figureheads, they still were a continuous line going back at least 1500 years.

GonzoTheGreat 10-07-2017 10:54 AM

That seems to leave Andorra, which, while in a better position geographically than Japan is, seems to be a bit small for such machinations.

yks 6nnetu hing 10-09-2017 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 242843)
One option for Scotland would at least be to try to have a relationship with the EU similar to Norway or Iceland's...where they're in the free market even if they're not officially in the EU as members of the EFTA.

Scotland seems like it'd lose a ton more than it'd gain if it left the UK and EU though. When your economy relies on dwindling oil reserves, whisky and promiscuous sheep, you might want to stay with the wealthier part of your country instead of going it alone.

Renewables (especially wind) and financial services are very strong there too. Arguably it might be easier for London-based financial institutions to move their headquarters to Edinburgh or Glasgow in order to stay in the EU, rather than Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Vienna, Copenhagen or Stockholm (let's face it, they're not gonna go to Dublin because of stupid history)

Daekyras 10-09-2017 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davian93 (Post 242843)
One option for Scotland would at least be to try to have a relationship with the EU similar to Norway or Iceland's...where they're in the free market even if they're not officially in the EU as members of the EFTA.

Scotland seems like it'd lose a ton more than it'd gain if it left the UK and EU though. When your economy relies on dwindling oil reserves, whisky and promiscuous sheep, you might want to stay with the wealthier part of your country instead of going it alone.

Scotland want to leave the UK because they want to stay in the EU.

They cant have both.

Hope you had a good time there.

Davian93 10-09-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekyras (Post 242860)
Scotland want to leave the UK because they want to stay in the EU.

They cant have both.

Hope you had a good time there.

Oh, I did. The scenery was spectacular. To be fair, I did like Ireland's culture, food and music scene far more when we're comparing Gaelic countries but both Scotland and Ireland are great places to visit in general. We also spent a good bit of time in London & Surrey and that was enjoyable too.

I said "leave the EU" too because they've already said that Scotland wouldn't be automatically admitted to the EU if they seceded from the UK so it seems that any independence push at this point would just exacerbate the situation they are already dealing with under Brexit.

GonzoTheGreat 10-10-2017 02:41 AM

Maybe Scotland could kick England out of the UK and then stay in the EU. That'd solve all their problems, wouldn't it? Well, apart from the fact that then they would be stuck with getting king Charles, of course.

Davian93 10-10-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat (Post 242867)
Maybe Scotland could kick England out of the UK and then stay in the EU. That'd solve all their problems, wouldn't it? Well, apart from the fact that then they would be stuck with getting king Charles, of course.

3rd times a charm, right?

Southpaw2012 10-10-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing (Post 242826)
bitter, disgusted and sad.

That being said, America: get your shit together and stop hogging "horrible news" headlines.

We've got the Catalan vote to process, the Brexit to manage, the next goddamn real estate bubble to avoid, convince people to go at least flexitarian (did you see that recalculation of the cattle-related methane gas effects on Global Warming? *shudder*), get Brazilians to understand that killing tribes in the Amazon is a Bad Thing,figure out how come North Korea is such good friends with Egypt, and figure out why is Putin so quiet about all of the above, what is he up to...

It's really not that bad here. If the mainstream media focused as much on the good as it does the bad, the world might be a better place. Instead of scrutinizing every little aspect of the shooter's life, let the authorities handle that and focus on the victims. Instead of bashing gun enthusiasts, discuss reasonable measures that would actually work. FOr instance, actually enforce the current laws and keep guns out of the hands of bad people. If gun control worked, cities like Chicago would be safer. The media likes to ignore the gun control laws of Chicago and all the violence that rages there on a daily basis. Enforce the damn laws.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.