View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future
Default Verin's note, dead Tinkers, and living Tinkers

Lately I've become more and more certain that the Tinkers are going to do something huge in the last book or two. I think the Way of the Leaf may provide the key to winning the Last Battle. I don't have any real evidence for it other than the sheer preponderance of instances in which the Tinkers are introduced and one of the peripheral characters dismisses them as unimportant, only to be proven wrong. Of the top of my head, there's:
- the Aiel from the Tinker's story in EotW who practically spits on them while he gives them his dying message which they in turn manage to deliver via Perrin to the one Aes Sedai actually in a position to do something about it
- Masema's contempt for Moiraine's Tinker spy for which he is immediately chastised in tDR
-the Whitecloak's callous cruelty and indifference for the Tinkers during the Two Rivers Trolloc infestation, in which the Tinkers proved themselves heroes and the Whitecloaks proved themselves cowards
-One of Perrin's Asha'man (Gedwyn I think?) derides Tinkers as cowards in front of the Seanchan and Perrin shames him by praising their courage

On top of that, the hospitality of the Tinkers outside Seanchan-controlled Ebou Dar contributed to Rand's decision to spare the city and his eventual apotheosis on Dragonmount in tGS, and Egwene's use of need in TAR brought her to a Tinker camp. The murdered Tinker's undelivered message in LoC is likely linked to Carridin's campaign of persecution designed to discredit Rand Al'Thor, which was masterminded by Pedron Nial but altered by Ishamael via compulsion. I think the payoff of all the Tinker-related foreshadowing is going to be that the Way of the Leaf is somehow dangerous to the Shadow in a "pure good counteracts pure evil" sort of way and that's why Ishy gave orders to have Carridin's thugs kill all Tinkers on sight.

edit: I mentioned Verin's note in the title because of her cryptic hint that the Dark One wasn't going to fight the way Rand thinks it was.