View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 01:46 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice
Default I officially retract my critisism of Perrin *Prologue spoilers*

I'm somewhat in the middle of the preparatory re-read of TGS and I'm amazed that I did not remember even the half of it.

I've been reading Perrin's POVs with a critical eye because of the discussion of Prologue. And me also voicing my hammering remarks of him whining. And when I read the prologue I thought he was still in rescuing Faile mood.

Perrin is actually very much spot on done and a very natural continuation of the situation. We as readers may not like how he used his facetime in the earlier books, but Brandon have tried to put a positive face on it so that when he's over this period and returns to action

What makes me say this? Couple of things.

We all know how Perrin is really the most control freakish in the series (after Elaida of course). His control freakness does not extent to others but to his own behavior. He's ALWAYS been described how careful he is in actions and words. Why? Not to hurt anyone else (because he perceives his big frame would crush others when he was a kid). That made him what he is today. And that makes him really neurotic about losing control of his action i.e. becoming the wolf. That's why he's been wallowing in it and continues to wallow in it in the future. Earlier I was not fine with that side of his story, but after realizing what I wrote above it actually makes sense.

Another thing about Perrin. It's not like he does not know what he has to do. It has been all along of accepting the fact and facing them what has been the problem. Perrin deliberately put off facing those choices in form of quest of rescuing Faile.

Take a look at couple of Perrin POVs from TGS.

From ch 17: Questions of Control

Quote:
The work had been distracting, which was good. But Perrin knew he couldn't push aside his problems for long. Rand pulled him northward. Perrin had to march for the Last Battle. Nothing else mattered.

And yet, that very single-mindedness in him - ignoring everything but his objective - had been the source of much trouble during his hunt for Faile. He had to find a balance, somehow. He needed to decide for himself if he wanted to lead these people. He needed to make peace with the wolf inside himself, the beast that raged in him when he went into battle.
And later he makes up his mind in chapter 21: Embers and Ash

Quote:
...The more he thought about it, the more determined he grew. He would march to the Last Battle - and when he did, he wanted to be free able to control the wolf inside him. He wanted to either to be free of all of these people who followed him, or to learn how to accept their loyalty.

He had some decisions to make. They wouldn't be easy, but he'd make them. A man had to do hard things. That was the way of life. That was what had gone wrong with the way he'd handled Faile's capture. Instead of making decisions, he'd avoided them. ...
And the rest of the chapter is also interesting and reassuring to read. Perrin's back on track.

Brandon really tried to spell it out in the Perrin's POVs that he's ready to move forward and is actually coming back to the main scene.

What I found so frustrating about the whole Perrin's plot was that it seemed it was moving forward so slowly. Not Perrin's whining, but the endless scenery depictions (we all know what I'm talking about. RJ really loved to paint the scene for us - Photorealistic.) that made up a quite huge section of Faile rescue thing. And the constant "side-tracks" it had. And the numerous supporting POVs it contained. I think we all felt that couple of POVs were really not needed, but there they were regardless. Especially Sevanna's multiple POVs. I think we as readers got it what kind of a woman she was but RJ kept giving her face time.

What has been unusual for me is that Brandon clearly wrote in TGS most of the POVs how HE sees and understands the character. He did this by writing persons thinking about themselves in such self-aware and analytical way thinking and explaining themselves why they thought or did something. Like explaining or thinking one's own personality. Why I'm the way I am? Why I do this? It was for readers and Brandon's own benefit. Jordan mostly wrote what characters thought or did and left the why out.

Last edited by looqas; 09-30-2010 at 05:43 AM.