View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sythmaster View Post
On a side-note, I was never actually sure if the 'side effects' on the OP in the south were due to the Bowl of Winds, or the explosion of the Gateway. Originally, I thought it actually had more to do with the gateway than the Bowl. But I'm probably wrong on that.
They were due to the Bowl:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
The Path of Daggers book tour 21 November 1998, VA - John Novak reporting

The Bowl: Someone asked him whether, if men had helped the Aes Sedai and Windfinders and Kin channel through the Bowl, the One Power would still have been screwed up. His implicit assumption was that the Bowl screwed things up....He went into a relatively detailed explanation to the effect that the Bowl was stressed far, far beyond its original design parameters because of the advanced knowledge of the Windfinders. It was affecting a global pattern, when it was designed for only a small region. Men helping would not have changed anything, and the effects linger most strongly near Ebou Dar, but also along the "spokes" which radiated from that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
There must be a way to vary how long a tied off weave will endure however. Certainly the tied off shield that Moghedien placed on Liandrin has lasted quite some time, but it likely requires quite a bit more effort and expenditure of energy on the part of the weaver. I seem to recall Rand at various times also commenting on tying off weaves and having them last a couple of days, so apparently he at least could vary the length of time that his knots would last to some degree. But certainly, for a weave designed for the transport of people, you wouldn't want to always be in fear of imminent collapse, thus personally holding the gate open, while taxing, is, if nothing else, much more safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Right. Tied off weaves weaken and fade over time. Some quicker than others. I imagine gateways can be tied off and fall apart rather quickly because they're a "rift in the pattern" so they probably don't have enough strength to stay open for too long if tied off.
RJ has stated that it is possible for the channeler to vary the length of time that a weave remains tied off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TOR Questions of the Week, December 2003 to April 2004

Week 7 Question: I would like to ask about knotting a weave. Does a channeler determine how long it will last when she knots it or is it dependent on her strength? If a channeler who knotted a weave died, would the weave dissipate immediately?

Robert Jordan Answers: The length of time the knot lasts is the choice of whoever makes the knot. It is not strength-dependent. And the knot would continue in existence if the channeler died, at least if the channeler had not set it to unravel in a certain time. Remember, tying off a weave is a way to keep the weave in existence without having to actually channel to maintain it, so once it is tied off, there is really no need for the channeler to continue living for the weave to be maintained.