View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute
Default TEOTW Chapter 27: Shelter From the Storm

While reading this chapter, I noticed that Perrin's dreams are protected from the DO:

Quote:
TITLE: Eye of the World
CHAPTER: 27 - Shelter From the Storm
The dream began more pleasantly than most he had of late. He was at Alsbet Luhhan's kitchen table, sharpening his axe with a stone. Mistress Luhhan never allowed forge work, or anything that smacked of it, to be brought into the house. Master Luhhan even had to take her knives outside to sharpen them. But she tended her cooking and never said a word about the axe. She did not even say anything when a wolf entered from deeper in the house and curled up between Perrin and the door to the yard. Perrin went on sharpening; it would be time to use it, soon.
Now, Rand and Mat have protection from the DO in their dreams too, according to this interview answer:
Quote:
Type: Weekly Questions | Questioner: Patrick N Franklin TN
Q: Since the first few books, Rand's and Perrin's dreams have been protected. Rand can weave a ward around his dreams. Perrin being a wolfbrother has protected his dreams. How have Mat's dreams been protected since the first half of the series?
A: A side effect of his foxhead medallion, though he doesn't know it. This was not part of the intended purpose of making the medallion; it's a true side effect.
However, Mat only got the medallion in The Shadow Rising and Rand only learned to shield his dreams at around the same time (although at the moment I can't seem to find the exact moment where it happened).

In any case, this means that Mat and Rand had much longer exposure to the DO's dream manipulations than Perrin did and I was wondering if that might maybe be the reason why Perrin's the "sanest" of the three.

Especially starting over again now, I'm noticing perhaps more than I have before that they all start pretty normal. Perrin perhaps a bit more careful and thoughtful than the other two but the diverging paths seem to have made Rand and Mat more similar (=volatile, suspicious, secretive, somewhat paranoid... not that those are bad things when you're dealing with loads of enemies wanting to kill you the whole time) to each other than to Perrin, especially towards the end.

Aside from the natural instincts in the very beginning, do you think the DO's dreams might have had an accumulative effect on Mat and Rand that they didn't have on Perrin?

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 06-30-2011 at 01:05 PM.