View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mat himself said that he has always been lucky, and ever since leaving the TR he became luckier. I saw that you had a problem with his gambling -- is that a personal factor for you? Like are you a person who thinks it's a sin? I mean, I personally think gambling is a total waste of money, but if anyone was born to gamble, it was Mat!

P.S. What did you mean about his inability to realize that the OP has nothing to do with Snakes and Foxes?
Thanks for the reply and welcome to TL!

I'll answer the Snakes & Foxes question first:

THE hugest grievance Mat has is regarding the 3 answers he got, the memories planted in his head and being hanged by the Snakes&Foxes. He clearly associates them with the OP because he used ter'angreal to access their world. However, the Aelfinn and Eelfinn inhabit a different dimension, they do not use the One Power to do what they do. But because Mat used a ter'angreal, which he associates with the OP, he also blames the OP, he doesn't fully acknowledge that it's not the same thing.

As for gambling, I have a problem with it in the real world. Basically, when you think on it logically, most gambling relies on the so-called "luck" - the belief that a set of circumastances for one or another reason are in your favour, which in turn means that people who are gambling are in fact believing that here is a force, greater than ourselves, that is specifically working to help or deter them. Me, I am an agnostic so for me personally there is no problem, but for those people that are in fact religious and do believe in One God, gambling - with the belief in "luck"- is an act of blasphemy (the most intriguing case being "the luck of the Irish"). For me, gambling is simply an act of putting all your marbles on an outcome that is pre-determined on physics (and possibly cheating), which is just stupid (and strangely addictive and can land people in serious trouble. which I happen to know from very close range). Also, even if there is a higher being that can influence the way the world works, I rather doubt he/she/it would bother with games of "luck".

But that's the real world. In the world of RJ's Wheel of Time, we're absolutely certain that there are forces in play that influence the outcome of a toss of dice or reactions of people. Being ta'veren has such an effect, so in this sense I don't have a problem with Mat's luck in and of itself. However, I have a humongous problem of him taking advantage of his luck and stealing other people's money. If he knows in advance that very very likely he will win then the act of rolling the dice is simply a halfway step between meeting a person and taking their money, the only difference between highway robbery and Mat's version is that the mark doesn't realize he's been robbed. If two random people met in WoT and sat down for a game of dice, sure, there are actual factors in play that could influence the winning or losing of said gamble, but those factors could theoretically go either way. While in real world, I consider gambling an act of supreme stupidity, in Mat's case it is, in my opinion, morally wrong to take financial advantage of his ta'veren luck. So not stupid, but wrong. the Dark Side, Sin, all that lot.

also as a bit of a sidenote but a response to your point about matriarchality, while Randland in general is rather female-oriented, particularly the Tar Valon, Far Madding and Andor ruling classes, in the Two Rivers the situation is actually very egalitarian: note the Mayor being male, there being the male and female Village Council and Women's Circle and while they may squabble some, the Women's Circle does not, by default, outrank the Village Council.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 12-19-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typos