View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, ykks, dislikes Gambling. To her(for she is a lady, which i made an error on before!) Mat is a gambler. Therefor her interpretation of all things that Mat does is taken from the standpoint that gamblers are bad and therefor all their actions are bad.
As I stated at the beginning of this thread, I am aware of my bias. Historiographical theory teaches us that nobody is free of bias, not even computers if they're operated by humans because while a fact remains a fact, its presentation in context is what determines how it's seen. However, most of the time it's possible to counteract one's own bias by being very explicitly clear about it and actively trying to find counterarguments.

Which is what I have been *trying* to do during my reread: with Mat-parts I've consciously told myself to disregard all Gambling-references when it comes to Mat and his personality.

Frankly, very little remains. What remains is a highly egotistical* immature brat with a potty mouth and poor grasp of Human Nature (which he sadly allocates to "Bitches be crazy"), though that last is actually a common trait in almost all the main characters. He whines all the time: he whines that girls don't like him, he whines that they like him too much, he whines that people don't take him seriously and then he whines that he has to take responsibility of feeding a company of soliders, he complains about not wanting to marry, and then he whines when Tuon won't give him the time of day...

*yes, he helps his friends but every single time it's against his own wishes. The constant griping and whining about "I gave my word" lets the reader know just how little he really wants to do with anybody other than himself. Compared to Perrin for instance the difference is huge: Perrin does nice things for other people without being pinned down and made to swear, he does it because he wants to, because he's a genuinely nice person.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 02-02-2012 at 10:21 AM.