View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default TGH: Ch. 13 - The Infection, the Backlash.

I know Rand has channeled prior to this moment, but this attempt he makes at channeling seems more important and connects to what Nynaeve finds later on when inspecting Rand's mind.

Quote:
TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 13 - From Stone to Stone
The void shattered into a thousand razor shards, slicing his mind.
Quote:
Shuddering, he staggered back, wide-eyed. His hands hurt from pressing the Stone, and his arms and shoulders quivered with aching; his stomach lurched from the feel of filth covering him, and his head . . . . He tried to steady his breathing. That had never happened before. When the void went, it went like a pricked bubble, just gone, in a twinkling. Never broken like glass. His head felt numb, as if the thousand slashes had happened so quickly the pain had not yet come. But every cut had felt as real as if done with a knife. He touched his temple, and was surprised not to see blood on his fingers.
Quote:
"It was worth a try," he told them. The rancid oil feel, inside his head - Light, it's inside me! I don't want it inside me! - was fading slowly, but he still thought he might vomit. "I will try again, in a few minutes."
I think we see here a moment that is similar to the Backlash event. Rand is infected in this moment, a thousand pricks into his mind. I imagine the Backlash was felt by the hundred companions like this but magnified ten fold, hundreds of thousands if not millions of slashes into their minds causing them to go mad instantly.

Compare this to what Nynaeve finds when she delves Rand years later:

Quote:
TITLE: Towers of Midnight
CHAPTER: 15 - Use a Pebble
She Delved, staying away from the wounds at his side, which were pits of darkness that seemed to try to suck in her energy. She kept her attention on his mind. Where was the- She stiffened. The darkness was enormous, covering the entirety of his mind. Thousands upon Thousands of the tiny black thorns pricked into his brain...
And it's interesting this all happens when the Void shatters.