View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default TGH: Ch. 16 - Oneness, ZenRand, and the Kids

I recently read Lanfear's conversation with Rand about the "Oneness", and now I'm wondering if there is more to the Void than I've considered before:

Quote:
TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 16 - In the Mirror of Darkness
"The Oneness," she said, sounding satisfied. She saw his questioning look and added, "That is what it is called . . . in some places. The Oneness. To learn the full use of it, it is best to wrap it around you continuously, to dwell in it at all times, or so I've heard."

TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 16 - In the Mirror of Darkness
"Wear this void of yours all the time, Rand al'Thor, and you'll learn uses for it you never suspected."
The Void is one of those early concepts in the books that we eventually learn to ignore as the body of work opens up and we get so many plots, people and places as to make the Void somewhat boring. Then, Rand's experience of the Void shattering and infecting him, in essence, made me question the nature of the Void/Oneness, especially in light of Lanfear's comment about "uses for it you never suspected". Also, a few things happen in Towers of Midnight to bring it back to life for me, if only for the purpose of understanding some behaviors that are described.

ZenRand
Everyone has spoken about ZenRand or NeoRand, and his odd behavior/calm since his reintegration. And we do not get a Point of View until the Epilogue where Rand is now in extreme control of his dreams. It seems reasonable to theorize that at the very least part of this has to do with LTT's understanding of the Void and his capability in "wrapping" it around himself.

Quote:
TITLE: Towers of Midnight
CHAPTER: EPILOGUE - And After
Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, sat quietly in his dream. He breathed in the cool, chill air. White clouds floated gently around him, kissing his skin with their condensation. His throne for the night was a flat boulder on a mountain slope; he looked down through the clouds at a narrow valley. This wasn't the real location. It wasn't even the World of Dreams, that place where he'd fought Forsaken, the place he'd been told was so dangerous.
In fact, as with this quote, it would seem that this technique also transcends to a variety of benefits in T'A'R (I theorize that is what we are seeing.)

The Children

And then I had the thought that the Oneness must be what their children are experiencing in the future Aviendha sees. They are born in with the Oneness being to them as natural as breathing. What does that mean? Why would it happen? What are the benefits/uses that Lanfear speaks of?

Quote:
TITLE: Towers of Midnight
CHAPTER: 49 - Court of the Sun
Padra joined her spear-sisters. They left one of their number dead on the grass, and Padra mourned for her. Tarra, of the Taardad Aiel. She would be remembered. But honor was theirs, for they had slain eight Seanchan soldiers. She wove a gateway-for her, it happened as fast as she could think. She held the One Power perpetually, even while she slept. She'd never known what it was like not to have that comforting, surging Power in the back of her mind. Others said they feared being consumed by it, but how was that possible? Saidar was a piece of her, like her arm or her leg. How could one be consumed by one's own flesh, bone and blood?

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 05-14-2012 at 02:28 PM.